HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dusting off some Golden Oldies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Dusting off some Golden Oldies Reply with quote

Anyone been pulling out some old stuff lately?
For me it's been:

Bolt Thrower- Warmaster: Man, this is really some classic Death Metal! Fun as hell.

Entombed- Clandestine: This is the seminal Death metal album of all time if you ask me. Funny, I've never gotten any of their new stuff. I wonder if it's any good.

Overkill- The Years of Decay. Simply their best album. EVER. Period.

Iron Maiden- Somewhere in Time; Largely dismissed by many Maiden fans, I think it is one of their bests. I once played "Alexander the Great" in a high school history class during our unit on him. The class was not amused.
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Dusting off some Golden Oldies Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JGunnz1:
Iron Maiden- Somewhere in Time; Largely dismissed by many Maiden fans, I think it is one of their bests. I once played "Alexander the Great" in a high school history class during our unit on him. The class was not amused.

Gunnz, I think you're my long lost brother.

That's funny because I tried to pull the same move in my religious education class when I was about 16. The song . . . [i]Creeping Death[/i] by [b]Metallica[/b]. We were discussing the whole Moses and Pharaoh thing in the Bible. The reaction here was probably very similar to what you experienced.

What was funnier was the old single speaker "tape recorder" that I had to work with. [b]Metallica[/b] sounded so harmonious in that monotone masterpiece of machinery. I'm sure most of you know the device that I speak of. Every classroom in the 80's had them. The machine was about 6" wide by 10" long and played tapes only. There was the 6 or so buttons and a clear cover that tilted up when the eject button was pushed. No tone control existed and the sound was horrible.

(I just realized how sad it is that I supposedly grew up a catholic and just refered to Moses freeing the slaves as "the whole Moses and Pharaoh thing in the Bible".)
Raider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Dusting off some Golden Oldies Reply with quote

I actually think I still have one of the tape players you're talking about stashed away somewhere. I've lost most of my tapes though.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Dusting off some Golden Oldies Reply with quote

quote:
What was funnier was the old single speaker "tape recorder" that I had to work with. Metallica sounded so harmonious in that monotone masterpiece of machinery. I'm sure most of you know the device that I speak of. Every classroom in the 80's had them. The machine was about 6" wide by 10" long and played tapes only. There was the 6 or so buttons and a clear cover that tilted up when the eject button was pushed. No tone control existed and the sound was horrible.

ROTFLMFAO!!!
That is EXACTLY what they used to play my Maiden tape on. The other funny thing was that the song is like 8 minutes long with about 3 minutes of guitar solo's that everyone had to sit through. People were just staring at me the whole time.
YJMfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Dusting off some Golden Oldies Reply with quote

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I actually have one of those tape recorders!!
I still use mine to record song ideas on to take to band practice. I've had the damn thing forever. Bought it at Radio Shack years ago, built like a tank and still works!
JesseR72

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Dusting off some Golden Oldies Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JGunnz1:

First of all, GREAT ALBUM! Always loved this one even when older Iron Maiden fans were telling me it doesn't compare to Piece of Mind and Powerslave. I don't care, I'll take Somewhere in Time over those albums any day. Second, in 11th grade my english teacher, when we were studying poetry actually asked if someone would bring in Iron Maiden's "Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner"! Someone did (I didn't yet own it at that time) and we spent a whole class listening to the song (IN ITS ENTIRETY) and talking about it's relationship to the original poem and why a band like Iron Maiden would be interested in the poem. It was really cool. I ran out and bought the cassette within a week!
YJMfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Dusting off some Golden Oldies Reply with quote

To post something related to your orginal question I've pulled out a few oldies myself here lately
Metallica - Master of Puppets
I hadn't listed to this CD in a few months. Reminds me just how good MetallicA used to be.

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
I hadn't listened to this is years until this week. I've been blasting it in the car all week!

White Lion - Pride
Just bought this one on CD after having the tape over a decade ago. Don't care much for alot of the songs anymore but Vito Bratta remains one of the greatest guitar players ever! His solos are just the greatest.
EdwardTHead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Dusting off some Golden Oldies Reply with quote

Well you guys got to bring in the music, when I was in the 12 grade with English lit the [b]teacher[/b] brought in Powerslave and played Ryme of the Ancient Mariner for us. She was cool. She also brought in Rush and played Xanadu at the same time. Guess what she played it on though, on of those old record players! Looked kinda like the toy ones I had as a kid.

Then in College I was taking a general world history class and one of the questions on a test was what was the Crimean War about. I wrote the quick three sentance blerb on it then added a footnote about Maiden's The Trooper.

Oh and for digging out the oldies, I've been pulling out a lot of Gary Moore the last week or so, Corridors of power, Victims of the Future etc.
Motorola

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Dusting off some Golden Oldies Reply with quote

The fact of being young enough to remember one's English literature class, must have had an important role in the lyric writing of many a metaller... Maiden is just an example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: