HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cookie Time:Let's talk melodic death...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FALCON

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Cookie Time:Let's talk melodic death... Reply with quote

OK mostly due to the recommendations of many over the life of this board I have grown into a slight addiction to Melodic Death Metal (Sweedish), and I love Sweedish Fish, so their must be somethin to say here. As many know, I am a melodic crooner, love Progmetal, and the Gutsy Party Metal of the 80s, anything riff driven.

With the onslaught of great music being created by the "Gutteral" Crunchinsteins of the late 90s their is some incredible stuff happening. I have picked up many discs and Here is who I really like in a rank order sorta presentation, add some recommendations and/or albums for my hunting pleasure (cannot have too many discs to look for)...

Here is what I qualify for this sorta melodic pastels and tapestry meets the throat wrenching whales of the haunted...

1-Soilwork, they seem to be taking the sound to a new level, they have the great interludes on cleaner vocals with some grind and groove, really high on pickin their new one up.
2-Opeth, WOW this band has blown me away, have their catalog less Morningrise, like a lot, they have soft elements and musicianship others surely lack.
3-IN Flames, sorta started me on this trail with Jesters Race, now like Colony as my favorite title, they have all the tools really like the vocals as of late.
4-Gardenian, I am just waiting for them to break, their sound is very unique at times and they have some of the best usage of Clean to Gruff...
5-Wolverine, not quite the all-out Attack on most of the vocal front, but perfect use of the heavy stuff when needed, this is What I need to hear in Spiral Architect to be totally sold.
6-Arch Enemy, some of the best dual guitars I have ever heard, I am real excited to posses "Wages of Sin", on its way [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
7-Dark Tranquility, I only have "SkyDancer" Good I guess. What else next?
8-Moonspell, love the gothic textures, much like sentenced, the heavy vox are listenable and not ultra scary
9-At the Gates, Not yet to win me over.
10-What's next to climb the ladder?

I've tried messugah and Emperor and cannot tolerate for some reason, anything that walks traditional death or black metal loses me...
woosta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Cookie Time:Let's talk melodic death... Reply with quote

Ok, you NEED to hear Dark Tranquillity's "Haven" and Crematory's "Believe". YOu also could use Night in Gales' "Thunderbeast". Very good stuff indeed!
FALCON

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Cookie Time:Let's talk melodic death... Reply with quote

woosta, cool recommends bud, I have downloaded much of DT's Haven really sounds great, they have evolved a lot since Skydancer! I am checkin others as we speak! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Raider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Cookie Time:Let's talk melodic death... Reply with quote

Nocturnal Winds--Everlasting Fall. Good melodic style, of all the bands you've listed that you've heard they are the closest to In Flames in sound. And I should add, do get _Everlasting Fall_, their first one, it's better than their newer one.

Diabolical--Synergy. Very good stuff.

Ablaze My Sorrow--If Emotions Still Burns. Good, vocals comparable to At the Gates, though, so if that was your big beef with ATG then you might not like Ablaze.. either.

Eternal Autumn--The Storm. Very melodic with slightly thrashy feel. Not good vox though. Not as harsh as ATG, I guess the big problem is they don't come through strong enough in the mix.

Deceased--Behind the Mourner's Veil. OK, this requires more explanation. They're not Swedish, and they're slightly different from many of the others here, but still melodic, trash/death combo of music. The reason I recommend this album first is that it is an MCD, thus not as expensive, plus it includes both original Deceased material as well as some cover songs. Plus I think the production is just right on this one, and the vox sound better than on the others (though of three Deceased albums I have, they are all actually pretty good and less harsh--and more understandable--than some of the Gothenburg bands)

And I've never heard Eucharist--_Mirrorworlds_, but every single review I've read about it has rated it very highly and I've been meaning to get it for several years now.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Cookie Time:Let's talk melodic death... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by FALCON:
4-Gardenian, I am just waiting for them to break, their sound is very unique at times and they have some of the best usage of Clean to Gruff...

I'd say Gardenian probably has the most untapped commercial potential - egad, he said the "c" word! - of all of these bands, and I mean that in a good way. _Sindustries_ is a very, VERY rock-n-roll styled record - aside from the Nordstrom-chunky production and the frequent deathy vocals, songs like "Long Snap To Zero" and "Sonic Death Monkey" could've been the kind of thing you hear blasting on every floor of a college dorm. Cool band, but mishandled a bit by Nuclear Blast I think.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Cookie Time:Let's talk melodic death... Reply with quote

quote:
Ok, you NEED to hear Dark Tranquillity's "Haven" and Crematory's "Believe". YOu also could use Night in Gales' "Thunderbeast". Very good stuff indeed!
Thankyouthankyouthanyou, woosta! DT is my fav, and Haven is their best. I agree with trabbit on the gardenian stuff. They are a great band.... but what happened to them? Have they signed with a label yet. I don't understand how nuclearblast could've let them go!
THRASHCRAZED

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Cookie Time:Let's talk melodic death... Reply with quote

...and Night In Gales "Nailwork"!!!
THRASHCRAZED

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Cookie Time:Let's talk melodic death... Reply with quote

Falcon, you should check out Carnal Forge, The Haunted, Impious, The Crown......
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Cookie Time:Let's talk melodic death... Reply with quote

FALCON-

Good post. I would agree that Soilwork is taking the genre to the next level. They have surpassed everyone with "Natural Born Chaos". It is a brilliant f**king disc, and is easily my #1 of 2002 so far.

Dark Tranquillity is my second favorite band in this genre. I love Stanne's vocals and lyrics. They are probably the only band (in this genre) who can compete with Soilwork. I would concur on the "Haven" recommendations, and also suggest you give "Projector" a listen.

GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: