HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rock Star
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdwardTHead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Rock Star Reply with quote

I saw this movie a couple of weeks ago and liked it. I think the only thing that I didn't really like wast the part where the first lead singer walked out.

I didn't really catch the part about him turing grunge, I just saw it as him doing what he wanted. I saw it more as him figuring out that you don't need to be like someone else. I found the end songs more folk than Grunge so I guess that's why I missed it.

I liked how the movie was a circle, him wanting to be a rock star then giving it to someone else. I also really liked the music, I would like to pick up the soundtrack. That and Zakk's tattoos were pretty cool. Over all I liked the movie.
MadMetalPoet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Rock Star Reply with quote

This movie could've been really cool, I was hopped up by the fact that the band, zakk, jason,
jeff p, and soto would write songs for this.
But the story was too shallow, needed more meat in it. They should've cut all that eddy vedder crap at the end out, and showed more of steel dragon on tour, or at least had him start a new metal band, or something. the soundtrack is cool.
Anybody who digs soto should hear the Axel Rudi Pell cds Soto sings on they are great! Malmsteen why'd you ever let that guy go?! Bottom line, no hollywood movie studio is gonna make an accurate 1st rate metal movie. Heres to some independant co. doin it right sometime!

p.s. death to all rap metal!!!!!
MadMetalPoet...
gets it right someday
Jackie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Rock Star Reply with quote

I thought "Rock Star" was a good movie. Better than I expected. I definately want the CD. Steeldragon is an awesome band even thou they do not exist.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Rock Star Reply with quote

The end of this movie sucked. I have constructed a better one:

After Rachel leaves him to go to Seatlle, Marky Mark enters the studio with his little collection of songs he wrote and is informed that he is not allowed to write music for Steel Dragon. Marky Mark thinks about it for a second and realizes he is a FREAKIN MILLIONAIRE in a FAMOUS METAL BAND and decides he doesn't much care who writes the songs as long as he gets to continue to live every goddamm red bloded american kid's dream. Furthermore, he realizes that Steel Drangon was hugely famous and successful before he joined the band and his little pissant songs couln't possibly compete with tunes writen by some of the greatest metal minds in (imaginary) history. Thus, he sobers up a bit and quits being a whiny, spoiled, panzy a$$ed, dillhole and becomes content with his status as RICH FREAKIN METAL GOD.

Meanwhile in Seattle, Rachel suddenly realizes that only a memory repressed crack binge would excuse her for leaving her millionaire boyfriend whose occupation bassically allowed her to travel the world for free, spend money wildly, and give nothing in return except probably exceptional sex. Rachel returns to the Steel Dragon lair and begs Marky Mark's forgiveness. He takes her back after requesting her to perform several lewd acts to show her loyalty. Then, the entire Steel Dragon band flies to New York to beat the pi$$ out of that Chandler weinie with Zakk's kick a$$ metal plated Gibson Flying V. Afterwards, Marky Mark and Rachel get married, accept their positions as metal royalty, move into a gazllion dollar mansion next to Ozzy and Sharon, and live happily ever after in metal glory.

Now that's a happy ending.
General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Rock Star Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by slavettgrind:
But the fact that he was in a Seattle coffee house leads me to believe that our readings were quite accurate.

But that doesn't make grunge more mature than Metal, only the direction he chose.

GZ
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Rock Star Reply with quote

Mijarra - That was cool! LOL
Although not what I would have wrote for the ending... but cool nonetheless!
violentbreed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Rock Star Reply with quote

I don't know, some of these posts sound like some people didn't get "Spinal Tap" either, I don't know how many musicians read this board, but myself and the other band member that went with our group to see it were laughing our a**es off!
It brought back many memories for us of people we have known and situations we have been in from being in bands. Also we two were the only people laughing in the whole theater, so I know most of it was lost on everyone. I only fault it for having Jennifer Aniston, simply because I think of "Friends" every time I see her visage, which is the most un-metal thing I can think of in this world. But I guess they picked her 'cause she was very believable in the end where her dream was to move to Seattle and open a coffe shop, a role she is somewhat familiar with...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Rock Star Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by violentbreed:
I only fault it for having Jennifer Aniston, simply because I think of "Friends" every time I see her visage, which is the most un-metal thing I can think of in this world.

If Jennifer Aniston is un-Metal, may I be un-Metal too? At least for 15 minutes?

GZ
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Rock Star Reply with quote

Well, in my opinion to show Mark Wahlberg happy at the end of the movie with his girlfriend, coffee house music, and shorter-grunge styled haircut, I think the movie is suggesting that he has progressed from being into a band that was defined by excess image, to a band that is all about the music. Except the thing is, the styles of music associated with the change are too drastically different from eachother for me to just see his progression as a truly artistic one, instead of one that tries to suggest that grunge fits his new mature outlook on life.

I mean look at him at the end. He sits quietly with friends and talks to people in the park. He's like some kind of intellectual. When he was doing the metal thing they made him be just all wild and stuff. I think the writers of this film clearly demonstrate some kind of favourability towards grunge over heavy metal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: