HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maiden and Iced Earth, why such critical comparisons???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Maiden and Iced Earth, why such critical comparisons??? Reply with quote

On this board and especially on the [b]Maiden[/b] board I've seen numerous comparisons between the two bands. Unfortunately I can't pinpoint any exact quotes but a a month or so back there was a general consensus by a few at Ed's chatroom that [b]Iced Earth[/b] is a [b]Iron Maiden[/b] wannabe band. Some fool even went as far as saying that [b]IE[/b] was a [b]Maiden[/b] rip off.

First let me start by saying that I've learned to take most posts from the [b]Maiden[/b] board with a grain of salt. Depending on when someone logs on they can get what is seemingly a bunch of over (or under) sexed group of morons with a few true music fans sprinkled in for good measure or the board can be a total joke.Obviously there are [b]Maiden[/b] influences in much of [b]Iced Earth's[/b] music but to call them a rip off is completely out of line. Each [b]Iced Earth[/b] album has its share of songs where the [b]Maiden[/b] influence shows through just a bit more. An off hand example would be the epic feel of [i]Dante's Inferno[/i] that is heard in [b]Maiden[/b] songs like [i]Alexander The Great, Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, etc.[/i]. There was even a thread on how bad some guy thinks Barlow is as a vocalist. I almost felt as if some of the fans were intimidated by [b]Iced Earth[/b] as if the band were taking something away from [b]Maiden[/b] Is it possible that people are really so desperate for attention that they would just ramble off nonsense without even listening to the bands.

I'm probably just looking a bit to into the whole thing but it just pissed me off a bit at the time.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Maiden and Iced Earth, why such critical comparisons??? Reply with quote

The only thing about IE which really much recalls Maiden to me is the "gallop" riffs - and it's not like even Maiden invented those. As for comparisons...we'll see in ten years if IE is re-releasing their catalogue between every album and selling dolls.

(actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a Set Abominae doll before too long...)
Desslar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Maiden and Iced Earth, why such critical comparisons??? Reply with quote

I can't really say how much Iced Earth may or may not have borrowed from Maiden (well, there is the cover art), but I don't think the melodies have reached the same level of catchiness (if that's a word) yet. The Paul Stanley vocals are fun though.
Ungodly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Maiden and Iced Earth, why such critical comparisons??? Reply with quote

Why can't people understand that most musicians are in music because they listen to music and are influenced by the music they listened to growing up and thats what makes them want to be musicians. That's why so many people say that this band sounds like that band or that band sounds like this band. If you are influenced by a type of sound or music structure more than likely the music you create will have similar (not the same but similar) qualities. There are so many bands that sound like old bands but I call that influence not rip-off.

You can definitly hear the Maiden INFLUENCE in IE's music but it is definitly not the same music or ripped off.
B5ERIK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: Maiden and Iced Earth, why such critical comparisons??? Reply with quote

Iced Earth and Iron Maiden are two similar but significantly different bands.

Iron Maiden was a huge influence on Iced Earth, but so were KISS, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, etc, etc, etc.

Both bands are great. I prefer Maiden, but I really like Iced Earth a lot, and would love to see them live.
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Maiden and Iced Earth, why such critical comparisons??? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
(actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a Set Abominae doll before too long...)

hmmmm I wonder, would Mcfarlane venture into such and undertaking with such a lesser commercially known band???

I guess if he were going the popularity route he could chose the [b]Priest[/b] Jugulator dude for his next masterpiece.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Maiden and Iced Earth, why such critical comparisons??? Reply with quote

I think that when people draw comparisons between bands, the validity of the comparison depends largely on the breadth of artists that the person drawing the comparison is familiar with. Case in point... I have a friend that doesn't listen to much in the way of Heavy Metal. So, when I try to turn him on to someone new, he'll often comment that the singer sounds like Geoff Tate, or that the band sounds like Metallica. And the reason for this is not that the singer sounds like Geoff Tate, or that the band sounds like Metallica. It's simply because Queensryche and Metallica are the only two "Heavy Metal" bands that he knows. The need to draw comparisons to that which we know, isn't limited to this particular friend, or even to music for that matter. I think as humans, we always want to compare what which we don't know, to that which we do. Whether it be music, a person's physical appearance, or a thousand other things, it's makes that which is unfamiliar more easily comprehensible to compare it to something known. To that end, while the comparison to Iron Maiden is certainly valid, to state that Iced Earth is an Iron Maiden clone, suggests to me that the person making that statement hasn't listened to a large number of Metal bands, or just doesn't have a very good ear for music. I've always viewed the comparison of Matthew Barlow to Paul Stanley in the same light. While the tone of their respective voices are comparable, to equate them as vocalist, or even to suggest that they sound similar, suggests to me that the listener either hasn’t listened to both singers that closely, hasn’t listened to a great deal of music from within the genre, or perhaps just doesn’t have a very good musical ear.

GZ
AZRock

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Maiden and Iced Earth, why such critical comparisons??? Reply with quote

I actually find more old Metallica influences in IEs music than Maiden. Kinda like Paul Stanley does Master of Puppets! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] That was just for you GZ!

Of course IE would blow Craptallica off the stage these days.

Not that it really matters because all (good) bands today are influenced by the classics at some level. It's a good thing.

I've got a buddy that doesn't like most power metal (Edguy, Angra, etc) because he says they ripoff Helloween. Well, no sh!t. Helloween pretty much invented the style. That doesn't mean the new power metal bands aren't doing great things with it.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:57 am    Post subject: Maiden and Iced Earth, why such critical comparisons??? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by AZRock:
I actually find more old Metallica influences in IEs music than Maiden. Kinda like Paul Stanley does Master of Puppets! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] That was just for you GZ!

LOL. I would actually agree with you on the Metallica influence. I would say that it has always been more prevalent in IE's music than the Maiden influence, especially on the "Dark Saga" disc.

GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: