HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming out of the closet...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Coming out of the closet... Reply with quote

I always thought Testament's Souls of Black album was solid. At the time though every mag hated it with a passion.

Other albums that were not crowd pleasers that I enjoy:

Queensryche: Q2K - Not metal or even hard rock but moody, melancholy and catchy.

Iron Maiden: The X Factor/Virtual XI

Saxon: Rock The Nations
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Coming out of the closet... Reply with quote

I also loved Testament's "Souls Of Black"... I still listen to it.

Winger... all of Winger's music was good IMO. I never understood why they were categorized as "weak", "lame", etc...etc... bull$hit I say... the way things like this start is by one person not liking them, a friend of there's secretly likes them, but denounces them to other's, who in turn want to also "be cool" and so a chain reaction begins. Immaturaty is the name for this dilema.

Myself, I don't give a rat's a$$ what people think of the music I like... I like it and that's all that matters LOL

Other various bands / albums I like that have been "labeled" as such are Dokken, Judas Priest's "Turbo", Cinderella, Pink Cream 69, House Of Lords, Autograph, Blue Murder, Crystal Ball, Dyslesia, Keel, Kix, Lillian Axe, TNT, and Triumph.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Before you post the question: "I didn't know Triumph (or other band) was "labled", all those bands kick a$$!".... thats only because you like them. All of the band I have listed here have been marked as "lame" at one time or another by enough people I know to warrant a mention here.

...Out of the closet?? $hit, I was never in any closet, no one should be. You don't have to be "cool" to bang your fu*kin head!
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Coming out of the closet... Reply with quote

Triumph had a solid reputation until The Sport of Kings came out in 1986. Thunder 7 and the 2 studio tracks from Stages are classic but sadly their could never follow up from those songs.
JesseR72

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Coming out of the closet... Reply with quote

I loved Triumph's "Sport Of Kings" and "Surveillance" too! I don't care what anyone says. Are they Metal? No, but they're still awesome IMO. Another album that I always liked even when people were telling me it sucked: "Metallica". Yes the infamous black album! I love it, I think it rocks. I really don't think their blatant sellout came until the "Load" albums. To me, the black album was still classic Metallica.
Some music that I NEVER liked: "...And Justice For All". First of all, it's a terrible mix. The guitars are stale, the drums are too far back in the mix and the bass...is there any bass on this album? Even with better production, I still think there's only a half an albums worth of good material.
Another one to show my lack of crediblity as a music critic: Jimi Hendrix. Never cared for him! Is he a great guitarist? Yeah, for his time, but I think many guitarists today have soared past his skills. And I never really could stand to listen to more than about one or two of his songs at a time. I'll never deny that he was way ahead of his time, nor will I fail to acknowledge his vast influence among other guitarists, but to me, his music does nothing. There I said it. Feel free to tear me a new one!
The Dorf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Coming out of the closet... Reply with quote

I liked Priest's Jugulator and WASP's Helldorado. I thought both discs kicked some unholy @$$.
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Coming out of the closet... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JesseR72:
I loved Triumph's "Sport Of Kings" and "Surveillance" too! I don't care what anyone says. Are they Metal? No, but they're still awesome IMO. Another album that I always liked even when people were telling me it sucked: "Metallica". Yes the infamous black album! I love it, I think it rocks. I really don't think their blatant sellout came until the "Load" albums. To me, the black album was still classic Metallica.
Some music that I NEVER liked: "...And Justice For All". First of all, it's a terrible mix. The guitars are stale, the drums are too far back in the mix and the bass...is there any bass on this album? Even with better production, I still think there's only a half an albums worth of good material.
Another one to show my lack of crediblity as a music critic: Jimi Hendrix. Never cared for him! Is he a great guitarist? Yeah, for his time, but I think many guitarists today have soared past his skills. And I never really could stand to listen to more than about one or two of his songs at a time. I'll never deny that he was way ahead of his time, nor will I fail to acknowledge his vast influence among other guitarists, but to me, his music does nothing. There I said it. Feel free to tear me a new one!

I agree on the Metallica "Black" album... I think it rocks... "And Justice For All..." was good too, some people like that "raw" sound, others do not... I can agree with you on Hendrix, except there are some songs by him I like...

Let me say this: its always a matter of taste or opinion. No matter what music your into, there will always be someone who doesn't like them. I never "hid" from people like this (in a closet or otherwise). In my eyes, if they don't like what I like, that's only because they are one of a kind with one of a kind tastes. Technically, everyone here likes the same kind of music, maybe not the exact same bands, but our paths cross in many ways.

Hope to cross paths with you again soon....
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Coming out of the closet... Reply with quote

well I like the last 2 Priest cds...so sue me
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Coming out of the closet... Reply with quote

I like Demolition too! I'm surprised at the reaction of that album. My best guess is that most folk did not make a purchase but downloaded it instead and thus could not appreciate paying for and listening to a solid metal album.
THRASHCRAZED

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Coming out of the closet... Reply with quote

I don't think that there's anything wrong with the "Justice For All" album, or the "Black" album. If you listen to them now you would think that they are pretty heavy compared to the stuff that's out now. I really like all their albums except maybe the last two. I think that "Load" is probably one my favorite cds, and I've been listening to them since '85. Bold statement, maybe. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: