HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tyranno's Shame (also known as Nu-Metal Remorse)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:09 am    Post subject: Tyranno's Shame (also known as Nu-Metal Remorse) Reply with quote

I confess. I own more nu-metal CD's than I'd ever care to admit. Not that I actually enjoy them. But to be honest, I've long been easily duped into buying things based on one song. Well, no longer - at least not with this stuff. THIS FAR, NO FURTHER! Now that I have real internet, I'm gonna know in advance just how much something sucks! I'm gonna be spending a LOT less money on this kind of thing in the future.

So, I went through the arguably nu-ish stuff I own today - taking a long-distance break from my quest to determine which my favorite song is - and man, I like a lot of this stuff even less than I thought I did. Anyway...here are my conclusions.

Band: Slipknot
Album: _Slipknot_
My excuse for buying this: while "Spit It Out" was Korn-cloneism at its worst, I did hear a few songs which sounded more appropriately aggressive, and they were getting a lot of plug from guys whose tastes in metal I generally found myself sharing after a gap of about six months.
Probable original rating: 6
The verdict: Yeah, there are some cool riffs ("Liberate") and catchy choruses ("Eyeless") here, but there are also a good half dozen songs which are just bloody terrible, and most of the "good" ones are just tolerable. All the rap influence is putrid as well.
Nu-rating: 4
Trading it in?: Hell yeah.

Band: Slipknot
Album: _Iowa_
My excuse for buying this: one listen to "People = Shit" seemed to verify the hype that this band was burying the hip-hop shit, getting more aggressive, and even coming up with some good riffs.
Original rating: 6.5
The verdict: arguably even more one-dimensional than the last album, even if it is a better dimension. Fewer peaks and valleys, making it sort of a uni-blur of directionless, tuneless anger with riffs which aren't good enough for Pantera.
Nu-rating: 5
Trading it in?: Yup

Band: Disturbed
Album: _The Sickness_
My excuse for buying this: hell, I thought their cover of "Shout" was cool.
Likely original rating: 7
The verdict: Yeah, I think that cover is pretty cool. Like a lot of these bands, Disturbed has a pretty cool sound...they just have enough ideas for exactly one song, and maybe the fact that Track 1 is the only original song here I still like has something to do with the fact that I, well, heard it first. Oh, and the singer's a pretentious wanker.
Nu-rating: 4
Trading it in?: Uh-huh

Band: Sepultura
Album: _Roots_
My excuse for buying this: because Sepultura was big at the time and I was curious about this "new direction".
The verdict: Ross Robinson. The name didn't mean anything at the time, but these days, I'm wise enough to know he is to metal what Michael Bay is to action movies. Sure, there are some cool songs on here ("Ratamahatta", "Cut-Throat"), but most of it is a mid-paced drone of stuff which is acceptable, but I'd never actually listen to for pleasure.
Nu-rating: 6
Trading it in?: well, I never much listened to this before, and since the style isn't warming itself up to me any further...

Band: Soulfly
Album: _Soulfly_
My excuse for buying this: I was somewhat interested in Sepultura and was curious as to what Max's "new direction" was.
Likely original rating: 7.5
The verdict: all I remember from when this came out was that I was more impressed with this than I was by _Against_. It's pretty much _Roots_ part 2, but with catchier choruses, and Fred Durst guest stars on one track. That's right - Fred ****ing Durst. While I like the sentiment "No motha****ing Hootie And The Blowfish" in "No", it seems to me that Max is in no position to make that statement when he's working with Ross Robinson AND Fred Durst.
Nu-rating: 5.5
Trading it in?: I will not be caught with an album featuring Fred Durst.

Album: _Against_
My excuse for buying this: I was mildly interested in Sepultura and was curious about their post-Max "new direction".
Likely original rating: 6
The verdict: I can't even find anything more tuneless lying around here. Admittedly, this grew on me for a while, with me admiring its sort of Meshuggah-lite angularity, but listening to it now...nah. Best tune: a collaboration with Japanese drum troupe Kodo.
Nu-rating: 5
Trading it in?: yeppers

Album: _Nation_
My excuse for buying this: I'd heard Derek Greene was actually going to sing this time.
Likely original rating: 6.5
The verdict: Starts well with a cool anthem, and finishes well with a bitchin' tune from Apocalyptica (hmm, the best two tracks on the last two albums were mostly due to guest stars). Everything in between, I can take or leave.
Nu-rating: 5.5
Trading it in?: I'm gonna go with "leave"

Band: System Of A Down
Album: _System Of A Down_
My excuse for buying this: a friend, whose taste in hr/hm I once had much more in common with than I do now, recommended it highly
The verdict: Holds up surprisingly well.
Nu-rating: 7
Trading it in?: not until it starts sounding a lot worse to me than it does.

Band: System Of A Down
Album: _Toxicity_
My excuse for buying this: I liked the first album. Do I need an excuse?
Likely original rating: 8
The verdict: Again, holds up surprisingly well.
Nu-rating: 7.5
Trading it in?: Nah

Band: Korn
Album: _Korn_
My excuse for buying this: it was 1995 and I wouldn't yet really discover the vastness of good new hr/hm out there until 1998.
Likely original rating: 8.5
The verdict: you've gotta give 'em props for this - this is an original sound and they do it well here. The grooves are plentiful and heavy, and there's a nice accent on atmosphere. Problem is, listening to it now, it's all so very, very annoying. Even when I know and understand why I once liked this, I'm thinking, jeez guys...you sound really annoying to me now. Maybe it's the years of scorn (skorn?) heaped upon this band by the members of the metal community whose tastes I have a lot more in common with now, wearing me down...I don't know. Well-done, but unlistenable.
Trading it in?: I know I'm never going to want to listen to this again.

Band: Mudvayne
Album: _L.D. 50_
My excuse for buying this: I'd heard two songs which I thought were okay, and a lot of hype about a subtle "European" influence on their sound.
Likely original rating: 5.5
The verdict: that "European" influence is Meshuggah. Anyway, this is probably the only nu-metal album which I actually like significantly more today than when I first bought it. There isn't a lot of depth here, but there's a lot more than pretty much anyone else doing this kind of thing; it's well-played, catchy in its own way, and it doesn't annoy me.
Nu-rating: 8
Trading it in?: nope

Band: Mudvayne
Album: _The Beginning Of All Things To End_
My excuse for buying this: actually, I won it
Likely original rating: 2.5, if I remember correctly
The verdict: this is a re-packaging of their OOP demo "Kill I Oughtta" with some remixes as bonus tracks. It's terrible.
Nu-rating: still 2.5
Trading it in?: not yet; it remains to be seen if this is a band which might get better or just descend into crapitude and become another embarrassment that makes me wonder why I ever liked them in the first place. If it's the former, this will be a fun curiosity to own. If it's the latter, yeah, this is going and going quick.

Band: Static-X
Album: _Wisconsin Death Trip_
My excuse for buying this: I heard "Bled For Days" on the _Bride Of Chucky_ soundtrack and loved it
The verdict: Static-X is kind of like an almost ambient, dancy kind of hard rock experience - I don't listen to this band for actual songs, but for a vibe. And on that level, they deliver, and do a great job.
Nu-rating: 7.5
Trading it in?: no

Band: Static-X
Album: _Machine_
My excuse for buying this: I liked the debut
Likely original rating: 6.5
The verdict: the problem with this band is that you can't stretch its sound very far - after one album, they're going to have to change, or else they're going to bore me to death. I couldn't sense much of that here at first, but there are a number of subtle changes here, like more song-like songs if you know what I mean, and Wayne tempering his percussive bark with something perilously close to, uh, singing. This one's all right by me.
Nu-rating: 7
Trading it in?: not today

Band: Apartment 26
Album: _Hallucinating_
My excuse for buying this: it was cheap, and I was curious as to whether Geezer Butler's talent might pass down to his loinspawn
The verdict: sounds more like, say, Pain than anything nu-ish, and that's what makes this cool.
Nu-rating: 8
Trading it in?: naah - I actually listen to this for pleasure!

Band: Godsmack
Album: _Godsmack_
My excuse for buying this: my brother had a free promo and he gave it to me.
Likely original rating: 6
The verdict: so-so Alice In Chains imitation, but without the cool leads. Not bad for this sort of thing, but I never listen to it, and probably never will again.
Trading it in?: it's just a disc, not even a slipcase with the promo, so while I would, I can't

Other albums I was once conned into buying but traded away but quick: Godhead's _2000 Years Of Human Error_, Soulfly's _Primitive_. That's all that's coming to me right now.

Other arguably nu-ish albums I didn't listen to: two Rammsteins and four Fear Factorys.

My shame is public now. Please don't hate me. I'm feeling appropriately remorseful. (runs off, cries)
Stark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Tyranno's Shame (also known as Nu-Metal Remorse) Reply with quote

I'm a little confused. I can't stand bands like Limp Bisquit and Korn, but there are some other bands I think are really good... but are they considered Nu-metal or not?

SEVENDUST
ISLE OF Q
FUEL
NICKLEBACK
U.P.O
DUST FOR LIFE
EARTH TO ANDY
Raider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Tyranno's Shame (also known as Nu-Metal Remorse) Reply with quote

Nice little touch there calling it "Nu rating" [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Icarus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:13 am    Post subject: Tyranno's Shame (also known as Nu-Metal Remorse) Reply with quote

Would [b]Sepultura[/b] really be considered Nu-Metal? Maybe I'm thinking that nu-metal would also be mall-core/ nu-metal and I wouldn't put [b]Sepultura[/b] in that category . . .or would I?. It's obvious that they are a post 80's metal band but I wouldn't consider their sound nu-metal. I don't like them very much, but I'm not sure if I'd pile them into the [b]Slipknot[/b] bunch.

By the way, [b]Static X[/b], [i]Machine[/i] was probably the worst follow up album I've heard in a while (i.m.o.) and the first that I actually traded in. I do like [i]Wisconsin . . .[/i] though.
Ungodly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Tyranno's Shame (also known as Nu-Metal Remorse) Reply with quote

I would definitly put everything Sepultura done after Chaos AD as nu-metal. These guys are like the Metallica of Death Metal. Tried to get into the mainstream of things and the music has suffered ever since.

I think Soulfly just plain sucks, but that is just that, my opinion.

I am a victim of liking some nu-metal stuff as well but my liking came after trying to play some of the stuff on drums. But thats the problem with alot of nu-metal I think, the drummer is the most talented member and unfortunatly just the drummer being bad ass doesn't make a band.

People can also say what they want but STP is a great band with alot of talent in all members having alot to offer.

quote:
Originaly posted by Stark: I'm a little confused. I can't stand bands like Limp Bisquit and Korn, but there are some other bands I think are really good... but are they considered Nu-metal or not?

SEVENDUST
ISLE OF Q
FUEL
NICKLEBACK
U.P.O
DUST FOR LIFE
EARTH TO ANDY

If these bands are Nu-Metal I think these are the better bands of that genre, Sevendust being the best by far.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Tyranno's Shame (also known as Nu-Metal Remorse) Reply with quote

Surprisingly, I agree wholeheartedly with you on nearly all of your opinions. Out of that group, the only bands that hold up are:
SOAD
Static X
Godsmack (first album)

Sepultura,who used to be on the forefront of Thrash with their seminal album "Arise" has REALLY gone downhill.

Disturbed isn't half bad. They are kind of like Poison was in the 80's. You probably found yourself tapping your toes to them in private, but would feel guilty about it later.

I am not sure if I remember a lot of Hip Hop influence in Slipknot. What impressed me about their first album (which is all I have) is their improvisational "death" sound which was kind of unique. However, their music just doesn't hold up after several listens through. They aren't exactly terrible, just not that great.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Tyranno's Shame (also known as Nu-Metal Remorse) Reply with quote

You sure got a lot of garbage in your collection. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: Tyranno's Shame (also known as Nu-Metal Remorse) Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stark:
I'm a little confused. I can't stand bands like Limp Bisquit and Korn, but there are some other bands I think are really good... but are they considered Nu-metal or not?

SEVENDUST
ISLE OF Q
FUEL
NICKLEBACK
U.P.O
DUST FOR LIFE
EARTH TO ANDY

Well, these definitions are ultimately futile pursuits, but from what I've heard of these bands, nu-metal wouldn't be exactly the right term, except for arguably Sevendust which, from what I recall of their debut, was one of the more promising bands to suffer from the affliction (i.e. great sound, great vocals, serious lack of song ideas).

As for the Nickelback...I dunno, I've taken to calling bands like this "Creedspawn", and most nu-metal bands (especially those of the tuneless/rap-influenced variety) "Kornspawn". If it sounds like good news to any of you, it's starting to look like Kornspawn is on the way out and is being replaced by Creedspawn.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Tyranno's Shame (also known as Nu-Metal Remorse) Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ungodly:

People can also say what they want but STP is a great band with alot of talent in all members having alot to offer.

I've actually heard a few times that STP has grown into an interesting and fairly original band. It's never been something I've been into much (I still wanna thwack Layne for starting that thankfully long-gone bleached-hair-slicked-back-with-big-sunglasses pinata-head look), but it's so refreshing to hear that some of these airplay-getting bands are getting better instead of worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: