HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eddie does Metalfest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdwardTHead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Eddie does Metalfest Reply with quote

Well I'm back from two great days of metal. I'm gonna do a quick review right now and a fuller one over the next couple of days. I'm getting my pictures back today, on CD so I'll post the better ones. I had around 5 rolls of film, but my camera went on the fritz on the first day so I had to get it fixed. I lost all of my pictures from the first day, which sucks because that was the best day especially with me a Virgin Steele. [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

First day I got there around 2, when it started, I was late so I went there first to see when the siginings were and to find the place. I didn't see many bands on the "Relapse" Stage which was the middle stage, most were unknown bands, and most were the "death" metal type vocals, not the stuff I'm into.

The bands I saw, when I mean saw I mean a good amount of the set, not just a song or two, were DRI, October 31, Blitzkrieg, Witchfynde, Nightmare, Virgin Steele, Saxon, Diamond Head. The best band out of the lot, at least the suprised me was Witchfynde, they put on a hell of a show, so much so that I had to buy a CD. Blitzkrieg was really good too. The only band that I knew anything about was Virgin Steele so everything else was new to me, well except for some Saxon and Diamond Head that I knew a little of.

The second day, after much running around trying to fix my camera, I saw Rob Rock, Steel Attack, Nuclear Assault, Manowar, Pissing Razors, Cannibal Corpse, Arch Enemy and Dick Delicious. I had just bought Rob Rock's CD a few days before so I knew some of the songs, they played really well, probably the best for that night. Steel Attack wasn't too bad, if I can find something I'd probably pick it up, PR, CC< and AE are not my thing, I only saw them because everyone said see them.

Now for the pisser, I walked out on Manowar. They were supposed to be doing siginings, well they would only do it if we paid $10 for the honor, yeah like I'm gonna pay you ten bucks to sign something I've already paid for so the promoter told them to forget it. Then just before the show the Manowar "goon" squad came out and told everyone, the only camera's alowed were the one time use stuff. That's fine by me, but then they told me "you take one damn picture with that camera and I'm taking your camera and you're not getting it back." Jeez, I may have long hair and like metal but I'm not a frickin' idiot. After that some other guy started shining a flashlight in my face saying, "Get rid of the damn camera or I'm taking it right now." Where am I supposed to put it? We had seats so it was in my lap, it's a $500 camera pal I'm not letting go of it. So I decided to put it on the ground hoping that it wouldn't get broken.

Then after the 30 second set up for the band it took them over 30 minutes to get on stage. I must say the wait was not worth it. They played the standard songs I guess, nothing different, the solos were really bad. I mean come on at least have the solo have SOMETHING to do with the song, not just some going off, that and you don't need to do it for every song. Then Joey brings out his "piccalo" bass and just starts playing, just a bunch of notes. I ended up walking out of the show, and waiting for someone to try and take my camera for just touching it, after about 5 songs. I ended up giving my Manowar CDs to my ex-wife, becuase of the crap that I've heard them pull lately, some of their stuff wasn't too bad, but not good enough to put up with that kind of crap.

After walking out of Manowar I walked to the middle stage where this band was playing and one guy was wearing a mask that looked like the guy from Fat Albert, you know a wool cap pulled all the way down with eyeholes cut out of it. I rolled my eyes at that, but then they started playing "Like a Virgin" and I'm like WTF? So I watched these guys and they were great. It turns out they were Dick Delicious, I had a better time with about 10 other people than I did at the Manowar show. These guys were having fun passing the cap around. It was a great way to end the show. The best was when the Manowar show ended DD was just ending too and they said "and for all you people who just came from the Manowar show missed a great time."

I bought 8 CDs, I hope I can remember them all. Witchfynde: The Witching Hour
Nightwish: Over the Hills and Far Away
Blaze Bayley: 10th Dimention
Tygers of Pan Tang: Spellboud
Blind Guardian: Night at the Opera
Diamond Head, don't remember which one
and a couple of others that now I can't remember.

A full review with pics, I hope, later.
metalblood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Eddie does Metalfest Reply with quote

Sounds like it was a great metalfest, with the exception of Manowar. They sound like real dicks. I would love to see Witchfynde live, they are a great underrated band. Although I've never heard that new one you got, their older stuuff is awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: