HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite new major label bands?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavettgrind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Favorite new major label bands? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Desslar:
1. Beautiful Creatures - good ol' hard rock with a modern edge. Unfortunately it seems they may have been dropped by Warner, so I guess I may have to strike them from the list.

2. Buckcherry - more good ol' hard rock, if not quite as edgy as Beautiful Creatures. This band's future is also uncertain as it has dwnidled to 2 original members.

6. Andrew W.K. - I've heard them described as the Partridge Family meets Ministry, and that's somewhat accurate. Absolutely mindless and childishly simple, but at least attempting to bring back party metal.

These are probably my top 3. Not sure about the order though. But These are pretty much the only new major label bands I enjoy.
violentbreed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Favorite new major label bands? Reply with quote

My favorite major label band is called, "They all shut their doors and go away so their psuedo-music stops polluting the earth".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JosephC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Favorite new major label bands? Reply with quote

Can we count Cradle of Filth since they are now on Sony? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
General Zod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Favorite new major label bands? Reply with quote

Does Century Media count as a major label?

GZ
darkwyche

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Favorite new major label bands? Reply with quote

hmmm let's see favorite current bands on a major label...?
I sure as hell can't think of any.

The major's only care about bands who can move millions of units of "product".
And it aint exactly a Metal market out there.

Who knows maybe Cradle Of Filth will open the floodgates once again for Metal and the Majors.
But on the other hand once the Majors get their greedy paws on anything it usually turns to shit.
Desslar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Favorite new major label bands? Reply with quote

Most of the recent bands discussed here are on indie labels and a bit obscure as far as the general public is concerned. What about recent mainstream bands? Let's say metal/rock bands that have debuted in the last 5 years on major US labels.

My Top 10 (such as they are):

1. Beautiful Creatures - good ol' hard rock with a modern edge. Unfortunately it seems they may have been dropped by Warner, so I guess I may have to strike them from the list.

2. Buckcherry - more good ol' hard rock, if not quite as edgy as Beautiful Creatures. This band's future is also uncertain as it has dwnidled to 2 original members.

3. Kid Rock - yeah, I know he's all over the place musically, but songs like American Bad A$$ (even with recycled riffs) are fun party metal. Although he put a few albums in the 90s, I think they were all on indies.

4. Sum 41 - yes, they hail from the world of punk pop, but they're easily the most rocking band of the genre. Plus they've jammed with Rob Halford and have a couple of straight metal songs.

5. American Pearl - a blander, more radio-friendly version of Buckcherry

6. Andrew W.K. - I've heard them described as the Partridge Family meets Ministry, and that's somewhat accurate. Absolutely mindless and childishly simple, but at least attempting to bring back party metal.

7. P.O.D. - probably the best of the rap metal crowd, with significant hard rock influences. More about fun and less about hostility than similar bands.

8. Linkin Park - the rap metal runner-up. More posing than P.O.D., but they manage to get close to real metal on a few songs.

9. Papa Roach - recycling old metal riffs, but that can't be too bad can it?

10. Nickelback - dangerously close to Creed territory, but more genuine and rocking.

Of course, next to real metal, most of these bands are average at best.
Desslar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Favorite new major label bands? Reply with quote

Come on, you guys DO have radios, right? There must be something on there that doesn't make you heave your guts within seconds. Doesn't have to be great music, just listenable.

Is Century Media a major label? I don't know, but I wouldn't say Iced Earth is a new band if that's what you're thinking.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Favorite new major label bands? Reply with quote

quote:
Come on, you guys DO have radios, right? There must be something on there that doesn't make you heave your guts within seconds. Doesn't have to be great music, just listenable.

Well...to be honest, pretty much all major-label hard rock really does make me want to heave my guts within seconds. I just don't think major labels and hard rock/metal have gone together well in quite some time. For that matter, I think mainstream-wise, this is the worst time for hard rock since hard rock was invented.

The major-label artists which do it for me are just about all pretty non-metal (Alanis YES **** YOU ALL I LIKE ALANIS, Tori Amos...uh...Harem Scarem) and all of them have been around since, oh, 1991 or so, so they're not exactly new.

In terms of hard rock, I'd say System Of A Down, Static-X...that's about all that's coming to me. Maybe Rammstein.

quote:
Is Century Media a major label? I don't know, but I wouldn't say Iced Earth is a new band if that's what you're thinking.

I've heard CM called a "large independent" label - sounds like a fair enough description, since I wouldn't say it's "major" by Sony/Elektra/Warner standards.
Desslar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Favorite new major label bands? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:

Well...to be honest, pretty much all major-label hard rock really does make me want to heave my guts within seconds. I just don't think major labels and hard rock/metal have gone together well in quite some time. For that matter, I think mainstream-wise, this is the worst time for hard rock since hard rock was invented.
In terms of hard rock, I'd say System Of A Down, Static-X...that's about all that's coming to me. Maybe Rammstein.
quote:
That's just a bit harsh, isn't it? One runs the danger of being out to pasture by declaring all things new to be intolerable. Although I would be perfectly content to listen to 80s metal 24/7, I do really try to give the new stuff a chance so I don't become totally obsolete. As for it being the worst time for hard rock, although grim, I don't think it's quite as bad as '95-'97 when metal was virtually banned from the airwaves. At least today the major labels are willing to go to bat for bands like Buckcherry, Beautiful Creatures, etc., even if they're not always successful.
I think that Chop Suey song by System of a Down is a pretty cool metal tune (once you get past the goofy video), but I haven't really liked what else I've heard from them. Isn't Rammstein some kind of gay S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: