HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do I do when Ozzy dies?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

I finally picked up Down to Earth today. I'm about halfway through it right now. I think it's pretty good so far, largely b/c of Zakk Wylde's presence I think. Certainly not Ozzy's best work, but not bad at all. Some pretty heavy riffs, but am I hearing a Beatles kind of vibe in some of these songs? Interesting. Anyway, the whole Ozfest things aside, I am thinking that Ozzy is just about the only artist around that I can still count on to produce quality metal that I know I won't regret spending $$ on. Ya know, I don't expect the '80s to suddenly return, but half a dozen new Ozzy-ish bands would be enough to make me happy. This said, I am now off to Google to enter the search "melodic hard rock" in hopes of alleviating my depression. Wish me luck. [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

If you want an 80's vibe check out The Tenth Dimension by BLAZE. He even sounds like Ozzy on the song, Land of the Blind. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

I think that there are a few others from the '80's that fit into that category:
Savatage, WASP, Slayer, to a certain extent Megadeth, and Iron Maiden.
General Zod

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

I don't think there are really any 80's artists that are still producing great music. I think that those of us who grew up in the 80's tend to give these artists the benefit of the doubt when we listen to their new music. It's sort of as if we rate them on a scale of 1-10, but spot them the first 5 points based on name recognition alone. I mean, has any 80's band released a CD that was in way, shape, or form, even slightly comparable to their early works? Just my $0.02.

GZ
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

Iron Maiden put out a solid album with Brave New World.

One could also argue that the Halford album was as good as any 80's Priest record as well. Uriah Heep still puts out good albums. Tony Martin from Black Sabbath has put out 1 great album with Dario Mollo called The Cage and the second is out in May. I'd rather listen to those bands than some second rate act like Opeth or whatever the black/death/speed/German flavour of the month is.

But if you want decent albums by Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Savatage etc then yeah the well has run dry and those acts don't appear to be thirsty.
Desslar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
I don't think there are really any 80's artists that are still producing great music. I think that those of us who grew up in the 80's tend to give these artists the benefit of the doubt when we listen to their new music. It's sort of as if we rate them on a scale of 1-10, but spot them the first 5 points based on name recognition alone. I mean, has any 80's band released a CD that was in way, shape, or form, even slightly comparable to their early works? Just my $0.02.
GZ

Man, 80s metal just can't catch a break around here can it? Must we all follow MTV's lead and mock the legends of yesteryear? Several bands are still putting out solid material:

Ozzy - slowed down a bit, but the last two albums were still pretty good. Time to retire though.

Def Leppard - Euphoria had a couple of duds, but also some tracks among their best

Motley Crue - although New Tattoo's lead-off single was a bit weak, the album contains some of their best rockers in a decade

Judas Priest - Demolition - the slow songs are solid anyway. They just need someone else to write the lyrics. Machine Man indeed.

The Cult - only heard a couple songs, but their latest seems quite good

and of course......

ICED EARTH!!!!!!
Not quite one of my favorites, but their praises are sung here all the time.
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

I decree as of now NO ONE SHALL BASH 80S METAL
X....
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

I don't think anybody's bashing the metal that actually came from the 80's - at least, not the good stuff [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] - but Zod's point was, I think, fairly spot-on. Is there a single heavy artist from the 80's which is now even half as good now as they were then?

Allrighty...accessing list of CD's I keep for insurance purposes...let's check out how these bands from the 80's are doing...(of course, this is far from a comprehensive list of 80's bands)

Ozzy Osbourne, solo - bores me damn near to death
Iron Maiden - damn near finished the job
Manowar - six years without an album
Alcatrazz - long gone
Metallica - don't make me laugh
Celtic Frost - long gone
Twisted Sister - more or less long gone
WASP - if _Unholy Terror_ came out instead of _KFD_, I might've been impressed, but too little, too late
Dio - admittedly, I haven't kept up with Dio
Trouble - gone for several years, we'll see about the reunion
Slayer - still going fairly strong, though almost all of their fans now are relatively recent converts such as myself
Joe Satriani - see WASP, but replace _Unholy Terror_ with _Crystal Planet_ and _KFD_ with _The Extremist_
Yngwie Malmsteen - I think I covered this guy's descent into blanditude in another post
Anthrax - fun, but nothing special
Metal Church - _Masterpiece_ was all right, but not all that hot
Megadeth - The world needs a ZERO?
Savatage - becoming wildly hit-and-miss despite staying true to their own (new) sound for quite some time now
Exodus - long gone, possible reunion
Overkill - still respectable, but nothing special to anyone except big fans anymore
Helloween - pretty good now, but the future's in some doubt with these lineup changes
Faith No More - gone for years
Kreator - doing all right
Queensryche - while I confess I'm the only person on the planet (including the band) who liked _Q2K_, let's not kid ourselves...
Carnivore - long gone
Guns n' Roses - gimme a call in 2068 when the new album comes out
Nuclear Assault - long gone (shocker! Reunion rumors!)
Testament - still going fairly strong, but the future's in some doubt, with the constant stalling until a new album comes out, if a new album comes out...
Cacophony - long gone
Prong - long gone (reunion rumors)
Living Colour - long gone (reunion rumors)
Forbidden - long gone (reunion rumors)
King's X - been quite hit n' miss for a while
Sanctuary - looong gone
GWAR - still fun
Bathory - hasn't put out an album I've unconditionally liked in years and years
Steve Stevens/Atomic Playboys - Steve's doing a flamenco thing now, and has pretty much disavowed hard rock
Skid Row - long gone, but supposedly working on new stuff with a new singer
Disciples Of Power - still around, still cool, still unheard of outside of Alberta
24-7 Spyz - put out a lot of crap albums before putting out a good one again...and then disappeared
Extreme - long gone
Atheist - long gone
Dangerous Toys - long gone, but not before selling out shamelessly
Gamma Ray - still delivering, doing fairly well
Enuff Z'Nuff - if you weren't a fan of this band years ago, you won't be one now
Sodom - reportedly still doing well
Dream Theater - doing great
Carcass - long gone
Nitro - long gone (thank God)
White Lion - ditto (yes, I own one While Lion Cd, sometimes, I ask myself why)
Annihilator - still going strong, mostly thanks to a great new singer.

So. 51 bands, by no means a comprehensive list of bands from the 80's, but I suspect VERY generous regarding how they're doing today. (i.e. Whitesnake is not on this list) Nine of them, I know I can get behind...and one of those is GWAR, nobody else here has heard of Disciples Of Power, the future of Testament and Helloween is in doubt, scarcely anybody gives a shit about Dream Theater's lone 80's album, most of Slayer's old fans hate them, I can't honestly say I'm enthusiastic about Gamma Ray, and that leaves Annihilator, whose first album barely squeaked into the 80's at all...and Kreator.

It's not like the 70's bands have fared much better, and of course time has dragged on longer for them. But I don't think it qualifies as 80's-bashing to point out that the overwhelming majority of bands from the 80's are either now gone, or neck-deep in suckitude.
THE_HELLION

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

Judas Priest -Demolition: Great release. Worth the money..I prefer the priest of old but this is a decent release.

Savatage-Love all there shit.Poets & Madmen rocked.

Armored Saint-Revelation: Hell of a release..Check it out.

Primal Fear- They put out a great new cd in 2001.It is worth the money.

Nevermore-Great release in 2001..

I have the new Ozzy and it bores me too..I don't why but it does. There are many great bands out there from the 80's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: