HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Make a "Best Of" CD by your all-time favourite ban
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Make a "Best Of" CD by your all-time favourite ban Reply with quote

It's well known that any "Best Of" CD released by a record company invariably ISN'T a "Best Of", but more usually a "Most Popular", "Best Selling" or "Picked Out Of A Hat" collection. However, what with CD burners being all the rage these days, it's easy for anyone to make their very own "Best Of" by their favourite artist, which to the individual, WOULD actually be a "Best Of". So, if you were to make a "Best Of" CD by your all time favourite musical act, what would it contain? The rules are:

You get an 80 minute CD. No over-burning allowed.

You must use AT LEAST one song from every album the band has released. The only exceptions are live albums, mini-albums and compilations....you must include at least one track from every studio album they have put out. Another exception is if your favourite band has released so many albums that taking one track from each would result in a longer running time than 80 minutes.

You may use non-album tracks, eg. B-sides, bonus tracks etc.

Mine would be as follows:

[b]Yngwie Malmsteen[/b] :

[b]Vengeance[/b] 4:49 ("Magnum Opus")
[b]The Wizard[/b] 5:18 ("War To End All Wars")
[b]I Am A Viking[/b] 5:58 ("Marching Out")
[b]Black Star[/b] 4:51 ("Rising Force")
[b]Never Die[/b] 3:29 ("The Seventh Sign")
[b]Amadeus Quattro Valvole[/b] 6:35 ("Anthology")
[b]You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget[/b] 4:29 ("Trilogy")
[b]Fugue[/b] 3:39 ("Concerto Suite")
[b]Enemy[/b] 4:53 ("Facing The Animal")
[b]Perpetual[/b] 4:12 ("Fire And Ice")
[b]Devil In Disguise[/b] 5:45 ("Eclipse")
[b]Treasure From The East[/b] 3:52 ("War To End All Wars")
[b]Leonardo[/b] 7:36 ("Alchemy")
[b]Rising Force[/b] 4:25 ("Odyssey")
[b]Pictures Of Home[/b] 4:56 ("Inspiration")
[b]Forever Is A Long Time[/b] 4:25 ("Fire And Ice")

Total Running Time: 79:12

I guarantee it'll take ages to put one together!! So....what would yours be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mayhem62

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Make a "Best Of" CD by your all-time favourite ban Reply with quote

Yes, this is always fun. I've started making my "best of's" for listening to in the car or at work. But I've been starting with the artists debut and work upward putting my favorite tracks. So far, I have AC/DC, Aerosmith, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, ZZTOP, Queen, Iron Maiden, Ramones, The Clash, and some others discs done.
JesseR72

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Make a "Best Of" CD by your all-time favourite ban Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to get back to you on this. I have a cassete player in my truck so most all of my "Best Of" collections are on 120 minute cassettes! So I'm gonna have to narrow my favs down even more!
JesseR72

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Make a "Best Of" CD by your all-time favourite ban Reply with quote

Ok, here it goes. I don't really have one "All-time favorite" band, I have several. I may eventually give ya a "best of" for all of them, but for now I'll stick with Blackfoot! I got into them because I liked Lynyrd Skynyrd and the drummer on "Skynyrd's First ...And Last" album was Rick Medlocke, frontman for Blackfoot. Very quickly Blackfoot overtook Skynyrd as my favorite and with their hard-edged southern rock, they really opened the doors for me to get into heavy metal. That was in High school circa 1988-89, today, 2002, Blackfoot still gets a lot of airplay on my stereo!
So here's my CD, we'll call it "A Legend Never Dies: The Best Of Blackfoot"
1)Send Me An Angel 4:05-from the CD Siogo 1983
2)Railroad Man 2:22-from the CD No Resevations 1975
3)On The Run 3:59-from the CD Tomcattin' 1980
4)Fire Of The Dragon 4:03-from the CD Marauder 1981
5)Not Gonna Cry Anymore 3:38-from the CD Medicine Man 1991
6)Ride With You 3:30-from the CD Verticle Smiles 1984
7)Runnin' Runnin' 4:38-from the CD Medicine Man 1991
8)Goin' In Circles 3:30-from the CD Siogo 1983
9)My Wild Romance 3:42-from the CD Rick Medlocke And Blackfoot 1987
10)Road Fever 3:07-from the CD Strikes 1979
11)After The Reign 5:00-from the CD After The Reign 1994
12)Soldierblue 3:59-from the CD Medicine Man 1991
13)A Legend Never Dies 3:01-from the CD Verticle Smiles 1984
14)Closest Thing To Heaven 4:04-from the CD Rick Medlocke And Blackfoot 1987
15)Guitar Slinger's Song And Dance 5:27-from the CD Medicine Man 1991
16)Madness 4:22-from the CD Flyin' High 1976
17)Teenage Idol 4:46-from the CD Siogo 1983
18)Highway Song (Live Version) 10:21-from the CD King Biscut Flower Hour Presents Blackfoot 1998? (Original version was on the CD Strikes 1979)

This would also qualify as my dream setlist if I'd get to see them live (I never have!), I always do my "best of collections" as if they were a live setlist!
Tope

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Make a "Best Of" CD by your all-time favourite ban Reply with quote

thats a hard one b/c the bands that i love the most i usually love every song on the album...

but when i make the "best of" im ike mayham...i start with debut album and work upwards..
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Make a "Best Of" CD by your all-time favourite ban Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tope:
i start with debut album and work upwards..

Well, I do do that, but I like to arrange them so that the tracks are sequenced in a way that they might be on an album. I like to make it flow, whereas just picking songs in chronological order, that often doesn't happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mordax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Make a "Best Of" CD by your all-time favourite ban Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JesseR72:
Ok, here it goes. I don't really have one "All-time favorite" band, I have several. I may eventually give ya a "best of" for all of them, but for now I'll stick with Blackfoot! I got into them because I liked Lynyrd Skynyrd and the drummer on "Skynyrd's First ...And Last" album was Rick Medlocke, frontman for Blackfoot. Very quickly Blackfoot overtook Skynyrd as my favorite and with their hard-edged southern rock, they really opened the doors for me to get into heavy metal. That was in High school circa 1988-89, today, 2002, Blackfoot still gets a lot of airplay on my stereo

Blackfoot is a great band... I gotta get my order placed for those reissues... I have been waiting for a reasonably priced Siogo CD for a very long time. My cassette is pretty much worn out.
FALCON

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Make a "Best Of" CD by your all-time favourite ban Reply with quote

OK here goes:
Tesla
1)Dont DeRock Me (Psychotic Supper)
2)Little Suzi (Mechanical Res)
3)Lady Luck (Great Radio)
4)Shine Away (Bust a Nut) (fave track)
5)Changes (Mech Res)
6)Hang Tough (Great Radio)
7)Edisons Medicine (Psychotic Supper)
8)EZ Come EZ Go (Mech Res)
9)Last Action Hero (LAH Soundtrack)
10)Love Song (Great Radio)
11)What U Give (Psychotic Supper)
12)Need Your Lovin (Bust a Nut)
13)Heaven's Trail (Great Radio)
14)Song & Emotion (Psychotic Supper)
15)Makin Magic (Great Radio)
16)Gettin Better (Mech Res)
17)Modern Day Cowboy (Mech Res)
18)Paradise (Great Radio) (second Fave)
violentbreed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Make a "Best Of" CD by your all-time favourite ban Reply with quote

Hmmm, my favorite band has too many albums and too many long songs to cover them all in just 80 min. so I will get in what I can. The band would be Rush, and starting from theor fist record the essential tracks would be;

1)Working Man
2)By-Tor and the Snow Dog
3)Bastille Day
4)Overture
5)Xanadu
6)La Villa Strangiato
7)Freewill
8)Red Barchetta
9)Analog Kid
10)Red Sector A
11)The Big Money

The amazing thing about this list is the fact that you will not hear any riff, guitar solo or other guitar "lick" more than once through the entire collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: