HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speaking of Popoff . . .
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Speaking of Popoff . . . Reply with quote

Has anyone here purchased any of his books? There are 2 that I'm intersted in, The Goldmine one and another. When ever I hear about these "greatest" or "best of" metal books I get a bit skeptical. I do admit that the dude is, for the most part one of the better writers around so I figure his opinion with regards to the top albums, bands, etc. hold some weight with many folks.

Any word on his writings/ lists, etc.?
Do I have to order them from his site?
nitro4040

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Speaking of Popoff . . . Reply with quote

What's one of the books get you that the web doesn't?
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Speaking of Popoff . . . Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Has anyone here purchased any of his books? There are 2 that I'm intersted in, The Goldmine one and another. When ever I hear about these "greatest" or "best of" metal books I get a bit skeptical. I do admit that the dude is, for the most part one of the better writers around so I figure his opinion with regards to the top albums, bands, etc. hold some weight with many folks.

Any word on his writings/ lists, etc.?
Do I have to order them from his site?

Martin Popoff is my favorite music journalist. I highly recommend all of his books. I've mentioned his work before on the board. You can get all of his books from amazon.com. The first book I got from him was The Collector's Guide To Heavy Metal(which I purchased from Century Media),and it is totally dog-eared from re-reading it so much. He truly loves metal and writes about it so well. The CGTHM has really enhanced my appreciation of the form. There are albums I hadn't listened to in years that I've rediscovered and bands whose names I'd seen dozens of times and would have never given a try if it wasn't for his reviews.You won't agree with all of his opinions(I know I didn't),but I find that overall,he's on the mark.You won't be disappointed.
HardRocker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Speaking of Popoff . . . Reply with quote

Hit the reviews section inside hardradio.com for the 4 books from Martin.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Speaking of Popoff . . . Reply with quote

As with any reviewer, especially of music, his reviews themselves are going to be of limited usefulness to anybody who isn't an exact duplicate of him. Aside from his opinions (which nobody can be expected to agree with even just most of the time), I find him to be a wildly inconsistent writer, but not without his moments, and he's got a lot of 'em if you thumb through that thing enough.

That having been said, I also have the CGTHM, and mine is dogeared to shit too. Agree or disagree with it, it happens to be, at the very least, extremely useful when researching bands when you're not online.

Also, I have to admit, the Century Media sampler that came with it is at least 50% responsible for kicking off the supercharging of my interest in metal in 1998.
Horace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Speaking of Popoff . . . Reply with quote

Not much more to say about the CGTHM book - it's enjoyable and interesting, but you won't agree with everything he has to say. Having a "dog-eared" copy myself, I did notice he the following trends in his opinions...

1. Doesn't like anything with non-english vocals (He basically admitted that Baron Rojo utterly rock but still gave a low grade because they sing in Spanish)

2. Hates the 60's, thinks the Beatles were awful (actually referring to them as "talentless losers" at one point), and slams any band with a pronounced 60's influence or that jams to much. Case in point, Deep Purple's Made In Japan gets a lousy grade (though he loves a lot of their studio stuff).

3. Loves grunge.
4. Hates female vocals.
5. Thinks Zeppelin were overrated.
6. Doesn't like live albums very much (He slams MSG's One Night At Budokan.
7. Tends to grade low on stuff w/bad production, regardless of 5the musical quality.
8. Worships Queen.
9. Really doesn't like Death Metal or much 80's speed metal or thrash (low grades for Abbatoir, Agent Steel).
10. Thinks classic Venom were pretty bad.

All that said, his books are fun to read, he writes very well, and I WOULD recommend the book - it's a lot of fun. The Goldmine Book is an excellent reference source for what was released on vinyl - it is missing plenty of stuff, but is an essential purchase as a reference work.
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Speaking of Popoff . . . Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by nitro4040:
What's one of the books get you that the web doesn't?

I guess it depends on where on the web the information comes from. I'm not saying just because someone publishes a few books they are always more credible it's just that with internet there are so many sites to find information it gets overwhelming and I'm not always sure what to believe because it [i]is[/i] such an easily accessible medium.

The fact of being able to open up a book or two quickly to reference a few albums at this point in my life seems a bit easier and more relaxing.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Speaking of Popoff . . . Reply with quote

I would take Tyranno's comments a step further. Not only do I often disagree with his opinions, but I find his writing atrocious. When I read his reviews, Iím left absolutely dumbfounded that this man actually has books to his credit. His writings are littered with more than the occasional grammatical faux pas. You would think that someone who thinks enough of his reviews to publish them might consider having someone proofread them. To that point, I once ran one of his reviews through Microsoft Word's grammar checker. Suffice it to say, it analyzed it as being written at the 5th Grade level.

GZ
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Speaking of Popoff . . . Reply with quote

Like I said in another thread, Popoff is the Harry Knowles (ignorant Aint It Cool creator) of Heavy Metal. [img]images/smiles/icon_redface.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: