HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is the best or worst producer ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THRASHCRAZED

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

Everybody's blaming Bob Rock, but you have to wonder if that's the direction that Metallica wanted.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by THRASHCRAZED:
Everybody's blaming Bob Rock, but you have to wonder if that's the direction that Metallica wanted.

You know,I think you may be right. It does take two to tango. I think one reason Metallica went in the direction they did was not only to achieve commercial success,but I also seem to remember the band saying something about having difficulty replicating their more complex songs on stage. Listen to the "black" record and then listen to And Justice For All. The songs and riffs are rudimentary and simpler on "Black", and I would imagine, easier to play(I'm not a musician mind you).
Skull Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

Bob Rock produced some great albums. Dont necessarily blame him for the bands bad songwriting. Listen to the albums sound effects and nuances.

Best: Flemming Rasmussen
Worst: Tim Palmer
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

I think Vadim of the Sentinel Webpage(don't know if you've heard of it?) said in a review once that Bob Rock is a good producer, but he makes everyone sound the same. To extent I think Vadim was right. I think Bob Rock gives this real clean hard rock feel to the music, but I think the bands he has produced have all probably gone to him knowing that he is good at producing the clean hard rock sound. Therefor After say...Motley Crue did Dr Feelgood in '89, perhaps Metallica looked at Motley Crue and Lars said "hey Nikki is an *******, but if he can get a record platinum with such a great sound, maybe we should imitate them" and then it's the bands that are planning on changing their sound coming to Bob Rock, because they know what he can do, not because he makes them do things. That's just a theory.
Nightofthecrime

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

Neil Kernon is great. Heaven's Edge both discs, Queensryche's Rage for Order and Dokken's UL&K.. what more do I need to say? I can even forgive him for messing up Walk in the Shadows and leaving FTDS off of RFO.

Ron Nevison. I know many artists hate him but he can get the sounds. Especially the vocals. Pretty Maids' Future World, Icon - Night of the Crime, Europe - Out of this World, Heart's 80s albums...

Bob Ezrin - early Cooper, Pink Floyd, some Kiss and Hanoi Rocks....

The 90s Rush albums sound really great... Rupert Hine and Paul Northfield are among those responsible.

I agree that everything Mutt Lange and Bob Rock produce sounds the same, but it's not necessarily bad... especially their early stuff was good.

I really don't like Michael Wagener and Richie Zito who did a lot of late 80s/early 90s hard rock albums. What Wagener did to Skid Row on the s/t should be criminal.. listen to the demos...
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

The best:

Martin Birch, Charlie Bauerfiend, Roy Z, Tom Allom

The worst: Rob Rock, whoever produced those ugly glam metal bands of the 80's, whoever produce some ugly bands of today (names witheld to avoid confrontation)
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

And I have to add (in the good ones):

Kit Woolven, Terry Brown.
mtlhd

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

Tom Werner-Most of the CD's in my collection were produced by him, so I'd have to say IMHO he's the best producer.
Lionheart

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

The best ever without a doubt is: Neil Kernon

Other great ones:

Dennis Ward
Tommy Newton
Tommy Hansen
Achim Kohler
Flemming Rassmussen
Kevin Beamish
Robert John "Mutt" Lange
Martin Birch
Peter Collins
Bjorn Nessjoe
Ron Nevison

J.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: