HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burrn! Best of 1985
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desslar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Burrn! Best of 1985 Reply with quote

Continuing on, these performers held the top spots in Burrn!'s 1985 readers' poll:

Group: Iron Maiden

Vocalist: Ronnie James Dio (Dio)

Guitarist: Warren DeMartini (Ratt)

Bassist: Steve Harris (Maiden)

Drummer: Tommy Lee (Crue)

Keyboards: Jon Lord (Deep Purple)

New Group: Anthem

Live performance: Accept

Album: Metal Heart {Accept)

Single: Out in the Fields (Gary Moore)

Album cover: Theatre of Pain (Motley Crue)

Disappointment: David Lee Roth splits with Van Halen

And for comic relief, here are Kerrang!'s selections:

Album:
1. Reckless (Bryan Adams)
2. Hounds of Love (Kate Bush)
3. Done with Mirrors (Aerosmith)

Thoughts? I've never even heard that Gary Moore song.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Burrn! Best of 1985 Reply with quote

1985's best..hmmm!

Best album cover-Iron Maiden's Live After Death
Best album-Anthrax's Spreading The Disease
Best guitarist-Vivian Campbell

The Gary Moore song is excellent,especially if you're a Thin Lizzy fan(Lynott sings on it).
Desslar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Burrn! Best of 1985 Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
1985's best..hmmm!

Best album cover-Iron Maiden's Live After Death
Best album-Anthrax's Spreading The Disease
Best guitarist-Vivian Campbell

The Gary Moore song is excellent,especially if you're a Thin Lizzy fan(Lynott sings on it).

Maybe I'll have to check it out. Was Gary Moore ever really metal though? The only song I've heard of his was called Pretty Woman or something and sounded pretty bluesy.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Burrn! Best of 1985 Reply with quote

A lot of Gary Moore's work was metal mixed with hard rock and pop prior to 1990.After that,he decided to become mainstream blues rocker. I haven't heard all of Moore's solo records,but based on what I have in my collection,it is largely average with a fraction of strong tracks highlighting each disc and not as much guitar heroism as one would expect. The song "Out In The Fields" is pretty heavy and deserves to be called a metal song. "Miltary Man",which I think was the b-side to "Out In The Fields" is actually even heavier and better. Both are from the album Run For Cover.
JosephC

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Burrn! Best of 1985 Reply with quote

Gary Moore is a fantastic guitar players. One of the most under-rated guitarists there is.

His early solo work was metal all the way. CDs like Corridors of Power, Victims of the Future are pretty heavy and highly recommended.

Run For Cover is a really good CD. Still pretty heavy, it has an assortment of vocalists on it including Phil Lynott and Glenn Hughes.

The next two albums were mellower. Wild Frontier is VERY Irish and a little electronic, more in the area of a U2. But some of the songs on that are just great.

After the War was the next CD, that was very much a pop metal CD. There are some decent moments, but overall the quality of this was not up to par. Of note is a duet with Ozzy called Led Clones which rips on all the Zeppelin rip-offs that were flooding the market at the time (which, by the way, I always thought was funny because no one was as big a rip-off as Zeppelin themselves were!!!).

After that Moore went the blues route and has issued several blues CDs. I have to admit I am not a big fan of the blues and as a result I have lost interest in what he has been doing the last 10 years.

But some of his early stuff like:
Corridors of Power
Victims of the Future
Run For Cover
are GREAT metal CDs.
mtlhd

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Burrn! Best of 1985 Reply with quote

Who's Anthem?
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Burrn! Best of 1985 Reply with quote

Anthem are a Japanese band. I've never heard their music,but I've read that they sound like Judas Priest. Graham Bonnet just did a cd with them not long ago.
JosephC

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Burrn! Best of 1985 Reply with quote

It's fun remembering back to all this stuff. I was 16 at the time, so clearly this was an exciting time for me.

I've given it some thought, and without question this list has been greatly modified by time. But here are some of my comments on thoughts about 1985 when following this list:

GROUP = IRON MAIDEN
This was the Live After Death year and personally I feel that this is where they reached their creative apex. In the US this was their height of popularity, and Live After Death was just the cap of what rank among the best first 5 albums released by any band. I'll give the nod to Iron Maiden as the top group of 1985.

VOCALIST = RONNIE JAMES DIO
This one was easy. At this time Ronnie was the man and there were really no other musicians (other than Steve Harris) that I respected as much as Dio.

GUITARIST = YNGWIE MALMSTEEN
Marching Out was released in 1985. Needless to say Yngwie was standing tall at the top of the guitar heap during this time period.

BASSIST = STEVE HARRIS
No explaination necessary. Next question.....

DRUMMER = KIRK ARRINGTON (METAL CHURCH)
Just go listen to the song Metal Church. Fantastic metal drummer, maybe the most under-rated drummer in the whole genre. His playing on Merciless Onslaught doesn't suck either!

KEYBOARDS = GEDDY LEE
Geddy gets my vote for his work on Power Windows. Some real nice sounds on that CD due to the talents of Lee's keyboard work.

NEW GROUP = MEGADETH
To be honest, I'm not sure if I was listening to Megadeth in 1985 of if that came later. Same with Metal Church. At the end of 1985, I might have said White Lion because I remember grabbing their debut album Fight To Survive right away and I loved it. Broken Heart is a classic. But looking back 17 years later, the vote has to go to Megadeth with everything that they accomplished (even though I didn't like what they were doing at the end!).

LIVE = DIO
I saw the Sacred Heart show with the dragon stage. Still may be the best show I ever saw in terms of performance + theatrics.

ALBUM = FATES WARNING/THE SPECTRE WITHIN
May be one of the most under-rated albums in metal history. Wow, the first three albums with John Arch rank as three of my favorite albums ever.

SINGLE = THE APPARITION/FATES WARNING & THE HUNTER/DOKKEN & FORTRESS AROUND YOUR HEART/STING
Well it all depends on what you are talking about. If you want an actual 45 release, then I would go with The Hunter. If you are just looking for the best album cut by a metal artist, then I would go with The Apparition. If you just flat out want the best song, then I will take Fortress Around Your Heart.

ALBUM COVER = LIVE AFTER DEATH
In my opinion this was the best of all the Eddie covers. That alone made it an easy pick for album cover of the year.

DISAPPOINTMENT = MOTLEY CRUE/THEATRE OF PAIN
After the first two legendary albums, I really thought this one was a piece of crap. It didn't help that Home Sweet Home became the most over-played song in the history of metal. I still can't listen to that song without feeling the urge to puke.

Well, for what it is worth, there are my thoughts on 1995. Other stuff worth mentioning were some tremendous albums by Accept (Metal Heart), Lizzy Borden (Love You to Pieces) and Anthrax (Spreading the Disease).
Horace

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Burrn! Best of 1985 Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
Anthem are a Japanese band. I've never heard their music,but I've read that they sound like Judas Priest. Graham Bonnet just did a cd with them not long ago.

This is a GREAT band. Their newer stuff is actually superior to the 80's material. The disc with Bonnet was in my top three of that year - what was really cool about it was that they re-recorded some of their best older tracks with Bonnet on vocals. The result was a 1000 per cent improvement on the originals... their last album (Seven Hills), doesn't have Bonnet but is still an excellent metal record. Their sound is classic melodic metal with superior guitar and bass playing. Influences? Rainbow (little more aggressive though), Alcatrazz, Priest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: