HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Black Sabbath drummer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crusader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Best Black Sabbath drummer? Reply with quote

Which one of these would you consider to be Black Sabbath’s number one drummer?

Bill Ward
Cozy Powell
Vinnie Appice
Eric Singer
Bobby Rondinelli
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Best Black Sabbath drummer? Reply with quote

Hard to say....generally you have to go with the original, but I've always had a soft spot for Cozy....Gawd bless him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
slavettgrind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Best Black Sabbath drummer? Reply with quote

Eric Singer
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Best Black Sabbath drummer? Reply with quote

Bill Ward
Mayhem62

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Best Black Sabbath drummer? Reply with quote

I would go with Bill Ward, the original drummer and played on the majority of their classics. 2nd place would go to Vinnie Appice for his work on Mob Rules.
Cozy was overall better than both (IMO) but the Sabbath album he appeared on was weaker than the Ward or Appice material.
Horace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Best Black Sabbath drummer? Reply with quote

Bill Ward is the best "fit" with the band but Cozy is, in my opinion, one of the top 3 drummers PERIOD.
B5ERIK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Best Black Sabbath drummer? Reply with quote

The best drummer who has [i]been in[/i] Black Sabbath (IMO) is Eric Singer.

However, if you're going strictly by the work that the drummer did while [i]in[/i] Black Sabbath then it's another thing altogether, and my picks would be:

Vinnie Appice and Bobby Rondinelli (tie)

With Bill Ward and Cozy Powell close behind.
poliszcz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Best Black Sabbath drummer? Reply with quote

I agree with the word "fit" being described for Bill. He Iommi, and Geezer grew up together musically, so there's an undeniable bond there. When the three of them get together...it's just magic.

Iommi and Powell really wanted something to work, maybe too much. Had they had a better producer and a killer bass player they might have just done it.

Vinnie is too generic. Dio's new drummer sounds just like him and well...so does everybody else for that matter. He's never really done anything very impressive. I always wished I could've heard Mob Rules and Dehumanizer with Ward on drums (or maybe even Cozy).

Iommi once said he really liked playing with Rondinelli and Rondinelli does the best Bill Ward IMHO (watch the Cross Purposes Live video).

Singer is a great drummer...just not what Sabbath needs. He fits better in Kiss and Alice Cooper.
SGR_32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Best Black Sabbath drummer? Reply with quote

I have always felt that Cozy's work with Sabbath
was greatly underated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: