HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best cover songs!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Best cover songs! Reply with quote

I liked the Queen cover on the Dragon Attack tribute with James LaBrie singing("Sheer Heart Attack").
Stark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Best cover songs! Reply with quote

Originally posted by wyvern:

quote:
'This Fligh Tonight' is from Joni Mitchell not from Joan Baez, and the Nazareth cover is one of the best songs ever (I got four versions from them).

Yes, of course you're right. Mixed up Joni Mitchell with Joan Baez, who wrote "Diamonds And Rust", which by the way is another great cover (JUDAS PRIEST).
Speaking of JUDAS PRIEST, their cover of Spooky Tooth's "Better By You, Better Than Me" is pretty good, too.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Best cover songs! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stark:

Yes, of course you're right. Mixed up Joni Mitchell with Joan Baez, who wrote "Diamonds And Rust", which by the way is another great cover (JUDAS PRIEST).
Speaking of JUDAS PRIEST, their cover of Spooky Tooth's "Better By You, Better Than Me" is pretty good, too.

You are absolutely right, JP covers in their early albums were all great, and it's worthy to mention 'Race With The Devil' bonus track in "Sin After Sin" remaster, originally recorded by Gun (Adrian Gurvitz) in 1968. I don't know the original (which eas a UK Top Ten hit), but the JP cover is great.
slavettgrind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Best cover songs! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
I liked the Queen cover on the Dragon Attack tribute with James LaBrie singing("Sheer Heart Attack").

He also does ONE VISION on that cd. I prefer that one.
Very'eavy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Best cover songs! Reply with quote

quote:
You are absolutely right, JP covers in their early albums were all great, and it's worthy to mention 'Race With The Devil' bonus track in "Sin After Sin" remaster, originally recorded by Gun (Adrian Gurvitz) in 1968. I don't know the original (which eas a UK Top Ten hit), but the JP cover is great.

The version by Gun is a good one, not so surprising as they were a very good band. One of the first hard-rock bands, so some sort of pioneers to the metal scene. Rat Race from their first S/T record, is a very, very good one. Later did two of the members, the Gurvitz brothers, start Baker Gurvitz Army, together with Ginger Baker (ex-Cream, ex-Ginger Baker's Air Force...), which had some good records.

So, back to the topic, covers:

Guns'n'Roses - Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Dylan)
Killers - Faith Healer (The Sensational Alex Harvey Band) RIP Alex "Faith Healer" Harvey
Locomotíve Breath - Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull)

The last one a tribute to the starter of the thread.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Best cover songs! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
I was aware that Lisa wrote it. What I'm curious about is, did someone else record it before Queensryche?

GZ

I'm pretty sure she did.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Best cover songs! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
I was aware that Lisa wrote it. What I'm curious about is, did someone else record it before Queensryche?

GZ

I'm pretty sure she did.
It's listed on one of her albums.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Best cover songs! Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the info.

GZ
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Best cover songs! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Very'eavy:
quote:

The version by Gun is a good one, not so surprising as they were a very good band. One of the first hard-rock bands, so some sort of pioneers to the metal scene. Rat Race from their first S/T record, is a very, very good one. Later did two of the members, the Gurvitz brothers, start Baker Gurvitz Army, together with Ginger Baker (ex-Cream, ex-Ginger Baker's Air Force...), which had some good records.

So, back to the topic, covers:

Guns'n'Roses - Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Dylan)
Killers - Faith Healer (The Sensational Alex Harvey Band) RIP Alex "Faith Healer" Harvey
Locomotíve Breath - Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull)

The last one a tribute to the starter of the thread.

Thanks for the extra info, I knew a little about Baker Gurvitz Army, and Three Men Army too, but alas I hadn't have the opportunity to hear them.

'Faith Healer' by Helloween is also a good cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: