HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tags and Fun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Tags and Fun Reply with quote

Something funny I found surfing the Net:

THRASH METAL
Characterised by a double speed drum pattern and grim, opressive riffs. This sound was to be labeled THRASH METAL and became very exciting. This was the first EXTREME METAL, which all began with the release of "Welcome to Hell" by Venom. Recognised by it's sixteenth note strumming, thrash is nowadays regarded as quaint, as its heyday was in the eighties.
Thrash is sometimes mentioned as speed metal, but some insist that speed metal is more technical.
Recommended:
Metallica*, Slayer*, Anthrax*, Megadeth, Kreator, Deceased, Exodus, Testament, Sodom, Dark Angel*, Overkill, Annihilator, Possessed*, Destruction

DEATH METAL
A more, primal form of thrash, but with often more brutal, heavier riffs and with usually growling, roaring, deeper vocal styles. This type of metal nearly always contains either brutal, gruesome and/or satanic lyrics. Other sub genres include Gore, Grind and a combination of both GoreGrind.
Recommended:
Morbid Angel*, Death*, Deicide, Carcass*, Autopsy*, Cannibal Corpse*, Vader, Mortician*, Suffocation, Exhumed, Dismember, Malevolent Creation, Angel Corpse, Napalm Death*, Bolt Thrower, Amorphis*, Nile, Decapitated, Hypocrisy, Amon Amarth

BLACK METAL
Black Metal originated from the Venom album "Black Metal" and in the beginning this tag was given to metal bands with dark, satanic lyrics (Bathory, Mercyful Fate etc.) Nowadays, a mixture of thrash and death metal using lightning fast snare and kick-drum patterns, but instead of the grunting vocals a more high pitched screeching is used. War-paint is also worn by the bands to make them look skull-like or demonic.
It has the same thumping beats as thrash but can have alot more melody with keyboards and ochestra's but some bands like to use very lo-fi production values to give a very necro sound which overall creates a very unique type of music. This type usualy has evil, satanic lyrics.
Black Metal has been out of the music scene really for the last couple of years, but now it is back and going strong, with a very big fan base, mainly in Scandanavia, where nearly all the black metal sounds come from, (Burzum, Marduk, Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, to name a few)
Recommended:
Burzum*, Marduk, Emperor*, Mayhem*, Bathory*, Aborysm, Immortal*, Darkthrone*, Thorns, Ulver

POWER METAL
A very clean style based on monstrous riffs, often with thrash speed, but heavy in melody and harmonies, using Iron Maiden as its main influence.
Recommended:
Iron Maiden*, Manowar, Bruce Dickinson*, Iced Earth*, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Stratovarious, Jag Panzer* Hammerfall*, Primal Fear

DOOM METAL
Doom Metal took Metal in the opposite direction, with slow tempos and deep vocals. It later included the gothic influences such as The Sisters of Mercy.
Recommended:
Black Sabbath*, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Cathedral, Katatonia*, Candlemass, Trouble, Saint Vitus, Obssesed

[b]Power[/b]
1) Iced Earth - "Something Wicked...."
2) Iron Maiden - "Best of the Beast"
3) Hammerfall - "Lagacy of Kings"
4) Manowar - "Anthology"
5) Bruce Dickinson - "The Best of"

[b]Death[/b]
1) Carcass - "Reek of Putrefication"
2) Autopsy - "Torn from the Grave"
3) Morbid Angel - "Altars of Madness"
4) Death - "Spiritual Healing"
5) Bolt Thrower - "Warmaster"

[b]Thrash [/b]
1) Slayer - "Reign in Blood"
2) Metallica - "Master of Puppets"
3) Exodus - "Bonded by Blood"
4) Dark Angel - "Time Doesn't Heal"
5) Possessed - "Seven Churches

[b]Black[/b]
1) Darkthrone - "Under a Funeral Moon"
2) Immortal - "Sons of Northern Darkness"
3) Mayhem -"De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas"
4) Burzum - "Det Som En Gang Var"
5) Ulver - "Kveldssanger"

Any opinions? Because I disagree with some of the bands presented as well as the recomendations by sub-genre. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Tags and Fun Reply with quote

Well, one obvious goof is listing Ulver's _Kveldssjanger_ as black metal. It's acoustic folk! The whole thing!
Stark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Tags and Fun Reply with quote

Well, at the time I haven't got the time or the energy to go into any deeper analysis, but I can'r resist taking up a few points.

I don't consider Anathema or Katatonia, nor Paradise Lost (later albums) to belong in the doom-genre. The doom genre was more or less invented by Black Sabbath and they're not even mentioned!
Power metal - Iron Maiden, the main influence?? Now this can be discussed for ever, but I think the term has become "misused". Power metal used to be Iced Earth, Overkill, Pantera etc, but has now become the term for the German style sing-a-long metal (Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Stratovarious, Zonata etc etc). Hell, Iron Maiden was one of the first NWOBHM-bands. Power metal, nah.
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:08 am    Post subject: Tags and Fun Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stark:

Power metal - Iron Maiden, the main influence?? Now this can be discussed for ever, but I think the term has become "misused". Power metal used to be Iced Earth, Overkill, Pantera etc, but has now become the term for the German style sing-a-long metal (Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Stratovarious, Zonata etc etc). Hell, Iron Maiden was one of the first NWOBHM-bands. Power metal, nah.

I agree, but also feel that thet NWOBHM style is probably what spawned the power metal we know today. To call [b]Maiden[/b] a power metal band is a tough call. I 'm sure that the term is used with them because of some of their sing along type stuff, but there's so much more to [b]Maiden's[/b] music that is not "power".
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Tags and Fun Reply with quote

Thanks people, you have pointed a lot of the things I disgree with. I have found several times, "ignorant" people talking about rock and metal in music websites, and they goof the same way that I will if I try to speak about jazz, classic or pop (because I'm not into that, and I don't have the slightest idea how the thing works).

By the way who you believe it can be the first band to have played: thrash, doom, black, death, power, grind as we know it today?

I agree Black Sabbath is the basics for a lot, so it's Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, likewise Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. But what about Hellhammer, Metallica, Cathedral, S.O.D, Napalm Death, Kreator, Slayer, Obituary, etc? Did they start something, or just follow a seed already planted?

Opinions please.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Tags and Fun Reply with quote

Back in the day,"power metal" was referred to as speed metal with clean,polished vocals. Therefore,I don't see how Iron Maiden is a primary influence in this genre. To me, A lot of the stuff being referred to as power metal these days. is actually British metal,a mixture of Priest and NWOBHM
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Tags and Fun Reply with quote

Metallica-invented speed metal via the NWOBHM and Motorhead

Hellhammer-They didn't invent death metal,but they certainly were among its first practicioners.

Cathedral-doom metal. They followed a path that was already cleared by bands like Trouble,Witchfinder General,and of course Sabbath.

S.O.D.-helped invent thrash metal by bridging speed metal to hardcore punk.

Napalm Death-carried the thrash metal torch and ran with it.

Kreator-same as Napalm Death

Slayer-took Venom's death metal to it's zenith,and then evolved into heavy thrash.

Obituary-helped spawn the Florida death metal scene.

That's the best I can do.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Tags and Fun Reply with quote

By the way who you believe it can be the first band to have played:

thrash - tough call.

doom - Sabbath, easy.

black - Venom, possibly Bathory.

death - Venom

power - Priest.

grind - not my bag, so I wouldn't really know.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Tags and Fun Reply with quote

@ Tyranno and iwar:

Interesting, especially your matches, I put those bands, because when I started with metal (back in 83, slow learner [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ), and in the years after that, different friends give different tags to some bands, when the basic sound of BS, DP, JP and IM beging to change, so:

Black = Venom, Hellhammer
Black-Thrash = Celtic Frost
Thrash = Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Exodus, Metal Church, Testament, Overkill but also Destruction, Sodom, Kreator, Possesed
Thrash-Death = Slayer, Coroner
Death = Sepultura, Death, Obituary, Pestilence
Glam = Poison, Motley Crue, Ratt, Twisted Sister, etc.
Hardcore (old tag) = S.O.D., D.R.I.
Hardcore-Thrash = Suicidal Tendencies
Grindcore = Napalm Death, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse (but they are death supposedly)
Doom = Cathedral, Solitude Aeturnus, Sleep
Speed = Helloween
Progressive Metal (old tag) = Helloween
Industrial = Ministry, Tool, KMFDM
Progressive Metal (new tag) = Rush, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Angel Dust (?)
Power Metal = Helloween (this guys are everywhere!), Heavens Gate, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Steel Prophet, Angra, and a zillion more...

But Running Wild was called speed/thrash when they started, now they are power.
Manowar is called these days power, but when they started, they just play metal.
Can we call Iron Maiden or Saxon NWOBHM >20 years later? (not new anymore).
Def Leppard was called NWOBHM, but now is pop. Sepultura started as death, but now is Sepultura/Soulfly whatever they play.

[b]In a nutshell, have fun but forget the tags![/b] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: