HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody else sick of being an Iron Maiden fan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JosephC

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Anybody else sick of being an Iron Maiden fan? Reply with quote

First off, this post is not to slam anything that Iron Maiden has done musically. They are a great band and I've found them to be one of the most consistent of all metal bands in putting out quality material.

But if you are a Maiden fan, you must be feeling pretty much raped by now with all the "filler" releases they have put out over the last 9 years. Consider:

-3 studio albums (X-Factor/Virtual XI/Brave New World)
-3 double live albums-counting live/dead as one double release (A Real Live Dead One/Live At Donnington/Rock in Rio)
-2 double greatest hits packages (Best of the Beast/Ed Hunter-I ignored the game because it sucked)
-3 re-issues of their back catalog that I can think of-there could be more (Castle double CDs/EMI enhanced CDs/the new digi-cardboard whatever the hell they are releases)
-Add in the various DVD releases and special packages like the Eddie Head box

Man, with only three CDs of new material they probably have gotten the die-hards to spend half of their earnings (pre-tax) on "throwaway" stuff like live albums and greatest hits sets. Now I realize that no one is holding a gun to someone's head and forcing them to buy this stuff, but it has to be putting the stress to a lot of the Maiden die-hards that like to have everything. I think the boys in Maiden should start giving a little more consideration to their true fans and not try to bleed every last penny out of them before they retire. It is questionable and kind of classless in my opinion.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Anybody else sick of being an Iron Maiden fan? Reply with quote

I'll never get sick of being a Maiden fan. They're my all-time favorite band. I can see where you're coming from though. Up the irons forever!
Jeff

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Anybody else sick of being an Iron Maiden fan? Reply with quote

Having Iron Maiden as my favorite band as well, I don't see any problems with it. Rock in Rio was well worth it. Brave new world was good. I have most of Virtual XI on mp3 and its a helluva lot better than X Factor by the way.
The only beef i have against Iron Maiden is that they could get higher quality t-shirts...lol...
Other than that, I am not sick of them at all..
I'll take a Maiden live album over anything Pantera puts out anyday. They're the best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Anybody else sick of being an Iron Maiden fan? Reply with quote

I got sick, which is why I more or less gave up. No live albums, no re-releases which offer no REAL bonus material (non-album STUDIO tracks) worth paying for.

Hey, same as every other band!

I don't feel raped; I just feel like they're Amway salesmen who keep calling and won't **** off.
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Anybody else sick of being an Iron Maiden fan? Reply with quote

I see what you're saying JoeC. I agree that [b]Maiden[/b] has overdone it with the live albums, greatest hits, re-released, etc. In [b]Maiden's[/b] defense I would probably guess that the latest re-release of the catalog has to do with the label change rather than a sole decision from Steve Harris and company.

The way I see it is that any re-releasing of material to get yonger fans into [b]Maiden[/b] (with the help of slick packaging and special send in offers) is a good thing, although sometimes I wish I could have some kind of Identifier that tells Steve Harris that I've been a [b]Maiden[/b] fan since about 1984 so I shouldn't have to send in 6 proof of purchaces (off off discs & vinyl I already own) to get my copy of [i]The Soundhouse Tapes[/i]. Yeah, I know there are bootlegs out there but that's not the point. I do hope it IS younger fans and not just die hard sheep who pick up everyting with Eddies head printed on it.

I too am tired and bored of all the redundant extras put out from [b]Maiden[/b] but in the music world where the scenery changes every day and bands come and go like the wind, I guess it's a good way to keep the [b]Maiden[/b] name in everyone's ear while they work on their next studio masterpiece (fingers are crosed) that hopefully will come out this fall.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Anybody else sick of being an Iron Maiden fan? Reply with quote

When I heard that Maiden was re-releasing the remasters I began to get fed up. I wasn't happy when they got rid of Blaze either but I am eternally thankful that the Silicon Messiah/Tenth Dimension albums were created as a result. Both albums destroy any and all Maiden product after 1984. At any rate Maiden have been making $$$ off me for almost 20 years now. Check out my Ebay auctions as I have now decided to return the favour [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=872718755]http ://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=872718755[/url]
The Dorf

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Anybody else sick of being an Iron Maiden fan? Reply with quote

Could somebody tell me what the difference is between the latest re-releases and the previous ones? I have all the previous re-releases with the extra discs with the unreleased stuff, and I have absolutely no intention of replacing them, maybe with the exception of Live After Death.

Oh, and in answer to the original question, NO WAY JOSE!!! MAIDEN FOREVER!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Brian

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Anybody else sick of being an Iron Maiden fan? Reply with quote

Im confused as to how Iron Maiden are forcing you to go out and buy their re-releases and live CDs? If You don't want them, don't buy them, seems simple to me.

There are legitimate reasons for re-releasing back catalogues. If they would have never re-released their CDs, do you think you'd be able to find any Iron Maiden CDs in stores? Do you really thing that Capitol Records would still restock the shelves and promote metal that was released in the 80's? There is a young generation of fans that are out there looking for Iron Maiden CDs today, why deprive them of classics just because some major label has decided Kid Rock is more important than Iron Maiden??

Rock in Rio is amazing by the way. Best Live cd since Live After Death. Plus its worth the $ just to hear Dickinson singing Sign of the Cross and The Clansman on CD.

I happen to enjoy X-Factor, Virtual XI and Brave New World, so to me they are not "filler"

I admit the Eddie Head Box-Set was ridiculous, cheaply made and way over-priced. But I consider that a bad management decision. I hardly feel raped, since I read the poor reviews and decided not to purchase it anyway.

The re-release of Live After Death was a very good decision since the original Capitol release didnt include the last few songs.

its all in how you look at it. also, no one should ever feel like they have to buy something. if you dont want it, or have it already, dont waste your money and then you wont feel "raped"
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Anybody else sick of being an Iron Maiden fan? Reply with quote

Yeah,I stayed away from that Eddie head too. I could tell from the picture that it was gonna be crappy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: