HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Rules My World
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Why Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Rules My World Reply with quote

While we're here, I've gotta mention a cool part in the event that inspired "Where Eagles Dare." As you probably know, it's based on the mission where members of the 101st Airborne dropped into Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" redoubt. They were trying to find Hitler, but obviously didn't. So instead, they raided his liquor cabinet and left. Gotta love it when people can make the most out of a situation [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Why Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Rules My World Reply with quote

i always it was written about the movie, where Eagles Dare..?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Why Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Rules My World Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Raider:
While we're here, I've gotta mention a cool part in the event that inspired "Where Eagles Dare." As you probably know, it's based on the mission where members of the 101st Airborne dropped into Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" redoubt. They were trying to find Hitler, but obviously didn't. So instead, they raided his liquor cabinet and left. Gotta love it when people can make the most out of a situation [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And more than that, in the movie by the same name with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood, based on a book by Alistair McLean (1968).
Badboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Why Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Rules My World Reply with quote

Yes Piece Of Mind is a very good album it has one of my all time favorite songs and that would be Flight Of Icarus.

I would have to say I liked Live Afer Death better.
Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Why Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Rules My World Reply with quote

with all the brewhaha ( not bralala ) on this album, I jsut had to throw it in and lsiten again.
although it has its points...Powerslave still is a bit better imo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Why Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Rules My World Reply with quote

I read on one site that "Still Life" was inspired by Ramsey Campbell's "The Inhabitant of The Lake."
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Why Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Rules My World Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
I read on one site that "Still Life" was inspired by Ramsey Campbell's "The Inhabitant of The Lake."

I tought it was based on a H.P.Lovecraft tale. 'Quest For Fire' is also based on the movie by Jean-Jacques Annaud. Not to mention 'To Tame A Land' based on Frank Herbert's Dune(without his consentment, pompous bastard). 'The Trooper' is about the Balaclava battle during the Crimean War, and 'Die With your Boots On' in part at least, in Nostradamus prophecies.
Who said Iron Maiden is not a cultural band?
[img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Why Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Rules My World Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by wyvern:
quote:

I tought it was based on a H.P.Lovecraft tale. 'Quest For Fire' is also based on the movie by Jean-Jacques Annaud. Not to mention 'To Tame A Land' based on Frank Herbert's Dune(without his consentment, pompous bastard). 'The Trooper' is about the Balaclava battle during the Crimean War, and 'Die With your Boots On' in part at least, in Nostradamus prophecies.
Who said Iron Maiden is not a cultural band?
[img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Yeah,Frank Herbert wasn't fond of Maiden. I read that Maiden wanted to quote Herbert in the beginning of "To Tame A Land",but when they asked him,they got a nasty letter back from his people saying that "he didn't like heavy rock bands".

And Maiden are well-read aren't they? I always point to them when non-fans think that metal is uninspired and stupid.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Why Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Rules My World Reply with quote

quote:
And Maiden are well-read aren't they? I always point to them when non-fans think that metal is uninspired and stupid.

Indeed, look at this:

'Phantom of The Opera' = Gaston Leroux (not to mention all the movies)
'Ides Of March' = Shakespear's "Julius Caesar"
'Murders In The Rue Morgue' = Edgar Allan Poe
'Genghis Khan' = self explanatory
'Children Of The Damned' = great British sci-fi/horror movie
'Run To The Hills' = history
'The Prisoner' = great British sci-fi TV series
'Where Eagles Dare'= cinema
'Fligh of Icarus' = mythology
'Die With Your Boots On' = Nostradamus prophecies
'The Trooper' = history
'Still Life' = horror tale
'Quest For Fire' = cinema
'To Tame A Land' = sci-fi tale
'Aces High' = history
'2 Minutes To Midnight' = warmonging critic
'The Duellists' = cinema
'Back In the Village' = "The Prisoner" series
'Powerslave' = Egyptian history/mythology
'Rime Of The Ancient Mariner' = Samuel Coleridge Taylor
'The Loneliness Of The Long Distant Runner' = cinema
'Deja-Vu' = psychology
'Alexander The Great' = history
'Run Silent, Run Deep' = cinema
'Tailgunner' = history
'Holy Smoke' = TV evangelists critic
'Lord Of The Flies' = book and cinema
'Heart Of Darkness' = book and cinema
'Man On The Edge' = cinema

And all the others with interesting subjects, regarding: religion, politics, supernatural phenomena, sci-fi, horror, philosophy, psychology, or just plain fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: