HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/Sentenced - Milwaukee show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JosephC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/Sentenced - Milwaukee show Reply with quote

Well this baby rolled through Wisconsin last night and I was honored to be there. I'll give a brief description and do my best with the set lists. I may not have all the songs in the right order but they should be pretty close.

SENTENCED
1. CD intro(recorded)/Cross My Heart and Hope To Die
2. Neverlasting
3. Bleed
4. Sun Won't Shine
5. Brief is the Light
6. Medley : The Suicider/Excuse Me While I Kill Myself (most of each song played, but they pretty much ran them together)
7. ?
First off, the only Sentenced CD I have is the new one, so those songs I knew. Bleed/Sun Won't Shine and The Suicider were clearly announced but I didn't catch the title of the last song (sorry). Overall I was pretty impressed by them. I thought the singer sounded better live than he does on CD. He is also a pretty big dude, I would guess he has to be in the 6-3 or 6-4 range. Band was pretty tight and overall they put on a good show.

DARK TRANQUILLITY
1. The Wonders At Your Feet
2. The Treason Wall
3. White Noise/Black Silence
4. Punish My Heaven
5. Monochromatic Stains
6. The Sun Fired Blanks
7. Zodijackyl Light
8. Final Resistance
Wow, these guys were GREAT. Highlight of the night and the best live band on this night. I have to admit, I am a bit biased because both guitarists were playing Gibson Les Pauls which happens to be my instrument of choice. But in all seriousness, they were really tight. All those lead riffs in Punish My Heaven were DEAD ON PERFECT. They really sounded great and this is a band that is an absolute must see if you have the chance.

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
Setlist = ????? (I'd guess they did 8 songs)
I know nothing about this band so I can't give a setlist or comment. Personally I wasn't all that impressed. The clean vocals generally got washed out and one of the guitarist did some lead/backup vocals that I couldn't hear period. Bassist sounded like he was slightly off tune or else he was moving so much he was missing. The crowd was half and half into it. There were a group of people around me that just didn't like them at all and was really giving them the business. Between songs they were all over em ("My garage is free tonight in case you want to come over and practice" "Holy sh*t you guys suck" etc). The singer was able to ignore them, but before the last track the guitarist on our side did end up flipping them off. By the way, one of the guitarists was using a PRS. I don't know about carrying that around on a tour like this, I bet that guitar magically vanishes some night.

IN FLAMES
1. Bullet Ride
2. Embody the Invisible
3. Beyond Space
4. Cloud Connected
5. Clayman
6. Clad In Shadows
7. Drifter
8. Gyroscope
9. Trigger
10. Episode 666
11. Only For the Weak
12. Pinball Map
13. System
14. Ordinary Story
15. Black & White
16. Colony
The band sounded good and were tight, mix was off on the first song but corrected quickly. That was pretty disappointing, the crowd sits for 30+ minutes for the changeover and then they have to watch guys run around on stage behind the band to try to fix problems. Anders sounded bad, his vocals were not audible on more than one or two occasions. I think he's losing it. What I really didn't like was that they used pre-recorded harmony vocals from Reroute for those songs, I'm still a "do it live or don't do it at all" kind of guy. And I thought the white "uniforms" were silly. I've also seen these guys 3 times in the same venue in the last 18 months, and it would be nice if they changed up some of their older songs a bit. They were alright, but it was the worst that I've seen them.

But overall it was a good show and I am glad I went. But for this night, Dark Tranquillity were the kings.
FALCON

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/Sentenced - Milwaukee show Reply with quote

NICE REVIEW, that was generally how I saw it, for sure Dark Tranquility was the MASS power and the force of the groups, Killswitch left me wanting and they have a stellar disc, yet the mix was all messed up and the voxslingin very medicore. Sentenced for sure impressed what i expected and the lead singer is very intense, which was cool. I also love Les Pauls as a guitar of choice these daze, originally being the Ibanez freak. So, Sentenced played first eh? In Phoenix it was DT, Sentenced, KE, and In Flames...
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/Sentenced - Milwaukee show Reply with quote

I was going to go to this show but my In Flames cd hasn't arrived yet and I have to drive long distance the day after the concert so I'm not sure about it. Kindof disappointed considering all the praise I'm hearing of Dark Tranquility.
JosephC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/Sentenced - Milwaukee show Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by FALCON:
NICE REVIEW, that was generally how I saw it, for sure Dark Tranquility was the MASS power and the force of the groups, Killswitch left me wanting and they have a stellar disc, yet the mix was all messed up and the voxslingin very medicore. Sentenced for sure impressed what i expected and the lead singer is very intense, which was cool. I also love Les Pauls as a guitar of choice these daze, originally being the Ibanez freak. So, Sentenced played first eh? In Phoenix it was DT, Sentenced, KE, and In Flames...

Yes, Sentenced was the first band out which surprised me too. The venue's website indicated that it would be the order you had them in, so I was surprised by the flip flop.

The other thing that sucked was that I actually wanted to see all the acts. Generally when there are 4 bands playing the first band always goes on early, so I left home (about 1.5 hour drive from where I am at) extra early considering I thought the first band would go on early AND I was thinking there would be some kind of road construction on the way that would slow me down. Sure enough, no road construction AND Sentenced went on at 8. I had to sit there for an hour before the first band went on, which sucked since I went alone.

Oh, I forgot to mention it but the place was packed. I'm guessing this area of the venue holds 1200 people and I am sure there was over 1000 people there (if not sold out then VERY near sold out). Pretty good for indy label acts who are mostly from Europe and get no airplay in the States. Also pretty good considering it was a Sunday night. Also pretty good considering it was the third time the headliner played the venue in the last 18 months. Looks like true metal is alive and well to me, too bad the major labels can't figure that out.
Armitage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/Sentenced - Milwaukee show Reply with quote

What a KiLLeR TouR. Anyone know any Canadian dates. Toronto... Hamilton...?
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/Sentenced - Milwaukee show Reply with quote

I'd say metal is alive and well! I'm just surprised by how many of these European bands are suddenly touring the US. It's like they'd never been here and then suddenly all the bands are here. It's great. I'm just hoping that some more european prog/speed bands catch on. We now have interest in the death scene, but I'd like to see Helloween and Nightwish for one thing. But just to see Arch Enemy and In Flames is already a lot of progress. Must be the internet making things so much easier.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/Sentenced - Milwaukee show Reply with quote

Dark Tranquility definitely kicked ass and they did open the entire show in SF. Sounds like they bumped Sentenced or something. Maybe they can bump Killswitch too. In Flames sounded great in SF, but DT was definitely the highlight of the night. Don't miss this show! Senteced is ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: