HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Donnas......????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: The Donnas......???? Reply with quote

What are they all about? Are they punk or nu-rock or what? I heard about 10 seconds of one of their songs yesterday and it didn't sound terrible. A couple of them aren't too bad on the eyes either. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] I read a little about their guitarist, "Donna R." in this months Guitar One mag. She seems fairly clueless, but at least going in the right direction (trying to play solos, be somewhat melodic, etc).

I guess they're not metal...but maybe hard rock? Opinions?
AngelWitch73

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: The Donnas......???? Reply with quote

They´re just all around good Rock N Roll. Chick Rock !! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: The Donnas......???? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by AngelWitch73:
They´re just all around good Rock N Roll. Chick Rock !! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

That's right on.

I think they may sound a little punky sometimes, but usually they keep to a rock 'n' roll sound from what I've heard(I heard their album Turn 21 at the music store). The covered Living After Midnight on that album so they are at least slightly connected with the old time heavy metal/hard rock tradition.

They aren't good enough that I wanted to buy the album, but I wouldn't avoid them if they were say opening for a band I liked(or even serving as the headliners).
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: The Donnas......???? Reply with quote

[url=http://www.thedonnas.com]http://www.thedonnas.com[/url]

That's their site.
The Dorf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: The Donnas......???? Reply with quote

I love the Donnas!! Their new disc really blew me away. The production is excellent, the whole thing has a bombastic, early AC/DC sound to it. But if anybody wants to check out some previous Donnas discs, skip The Donnas Turn 21 (weak songwriting) and get The Donnas Get Skintight, which has their version of the Crue's Too Fast For Love.
Mayhem62

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: The Donnas......???? Reply with quote

I also thought of them as the female ramones / kiss band. I like what little i've heard from them. Sounds as if I need to check out more though.
Lars37

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: The Donnas......???? Reply with quote

Saw them in concert...unimpressed.
Every song sounds basically the same ( there is a difference between having a "sound" and every song being identical ) and their gimmick has been done before ( the Ramones ).

**SEXISM ALERT**
Three of them are pretty good-looking, but the bass player REALLY needs Jenny Craig's help! She looks like a bigger version of the bass player from the Goo Goo Dools!!
**END OF SEXISM ALERT**

So I give them a thumbs-down.
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: The Donnas......???? Reply with quote

Kind of a nu-punk sound that I think is ok to an extent but not worth the long term listen.

I think they made an appearance in a movie a few years back but I can't remember which one. It was some high school T&A film if I remember correctly and they were either playing at a dance or at some house party.
Mayhem62

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: The Donnas......???? Reply with quote

They had a song and video on the DVD of Detroit Rock City, covering "Strutter".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: