HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 10 of 2002 - Help Needed!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Top 10 of 2002 - Help Needed! Reply with quote

I was wondering how the board, as a whole, was planning on handling the Symphony X “issue”. Since “The Odyssey” is by such a wide, wide, wide margin the best CD of 2002 (it’s not debatable… don’t bother to argue… simply drop to one knee, bow your head and genuflect) I was wondering which of the following three methods everyone else was planning on utilizing when posting their Top 10 lists:

Method #1 – submit your Top 10 list as you normally would, excluding “The Odyssey” completely, and thus leaving all spots within your Top 10 for mere mortals.

Method #2 – simply submit a list that constitutes CDs #2 through #10, completely secure in the knowledge that every person of sound mind and hearing will understand that only “The Odyssey” could possibly hold the #1 spot.

Method #3 – choose not to submit a Top 10 list this year, as no other CD even deserves to be part of the same list as “The Odyssey”.

I appreciate the assistance of the board in attempting to resolve this conundrum.

GZ
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Top 10 of 2002 - Help Needed! Reply with quote

Hmmm....due to circumstances beyond my control, I haven't yet got "The Odyssey", so I can use Method #1 quite comfortably, seeing as I haven't heatrd said "masterpiece" yet.

I might end up having to make an amendment in the future though....that's if I can even get a list of 10 from this year, not having bought that many CDs....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FALCON

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Top 10 of 2002 - Help Needed! Reply with quote

Still working on the top20, will not adhere to any of the methods described, while I like to break down each release respectively and in comparison. Thus, SyX, inevidably number 1 since first listen on my lists as well, will still get a fair breakdown, if not only for nostalgia sake...

btw good call, this ONE is special.

Iconically, the year 99/2000? Whichever was the year SyX "V" came out it also was the year in which Dream Theater released an album, that year, with "Scenes from a Memory" being so mesmorizing SyX was pushed back into the lower ranks of the top10, good gracious, SyX returns and the DT "6degrees" is very special but barely holding onto a top20 finish..great year, "odyssey" is a disc that all Metal collections needs to have as a spokesmachine.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Top 10 of 2002 - Help Needed! Reply with quote

I believe I already submit my top 25 and "Odyssey" is not in there, I'm not interested in Symphony X.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Top 10 of 2002 - Help Needed! Reply with quote

Wyvern-

I thought yo may find this link usefull:

[url=http://www.hearingplanet.com/hearstyle1.html]Hearing Planet[/url]

What follows is a brief description of their product line:

"Digital Hearing instruments represent the most advanced technology available today. These instruments actually contain a computer chip that is programmed by a computer. This offers the best way currently available to match a particular hearing loss with the most prescriptive amplification needed. Complete flexibility and amazing fine-tuning capability are among the many benefits. This unique technology separates the incoming sound into bands and channels; and processes each band and channel independently. This class of hearing instruments utilizes separate circuit paths to independent process different frequency regions of sound. This is the most advanced technology that allows the most precise prescriptive fitting available today."

GZ
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Top 10 of 2002 - Help Needed! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
Wyvern-

I thought yo may find this link usefull:

[url=http://www.hearingplanet.com/hearstyle1.html]Hearing Planet[/url]

What follows is a brief description of their product line:

"Digital Hearing instruments represent the most advanced technology available today. These instruments actually contain a computer chip that is programmed by a computer. This offers the best way currently available to match a particular hearing loss with the most prescriptive amplification needed. Complete flexibility and amazing fine-tuning capability are among the many benefits. This unique technology separates the incoming sound into bands and channels; and processes each band and channel independently. This class of hearing instruments utilizes separate circuit paths to independent process different frequency regions of sound. This is the most advanced technology that allows the most precise prescriptive fitting available today."

GZ

Maybe, still I'm not interested in Symphony X. There are several other bands much more appealing to me right now, to spend my money on them. Besides the best album of 2002 is "At Night At The Opera" by Blind Guardian, and any argument, reasoning, discussion, insult, flame, appealing, cry, lawsuit, etc., is just a waste of time when you are confronted with that cold hard fact.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Top 10 of 2002 - Help Needed! Reply with quote

I'd agree with Wyvern the BG put out the cd of 2002. However,I did enjoy The Odyssey a lot. I think I submitted a 2002 top 15 around here somewheres.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Top 10 of 2002 - Help Needed! Reply with quote

Nothing topped THE TENTH DIMENSION but THE ODYSSEY came fairly close.
General Zod

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Top 10 of 2002 - Help Needed! Reply with quote

Wyvern-

For the record, I'm just f**king around.

While NaTO is one of my favorite BG CDs, I just don't think it's consistent all the way through. And to me, the true difference between BG and SX becomes clear with the final track on each band's 2002 release. SX's 24 minute track "The Odyssey" is sheer brilliance. The song is cohesive, well thought out and brilliantly performed. However, BG gets lost trying to write a song half that length. "And Then There was Silence" lacks a certain cohesion that is necessary in longer tracks. It just comes across as sounding rushed and ill conceived. Just my $0.02.

GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: