HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK, differences in opinion aside...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: OK, differences in opinion aside... Reply with quote

You know, I understand people having different taste in metal than me, I really do. But sometimes people bash an album and it's obvious they never paid attention to it in the first place.

Take, for example, the current review of Bathory's "Nordland I" in the reviews section. Now I personally think this is the best of Bathory's "Viking" albums, even beating the excellent "Blood on Ice". However, I've heard others disagree with me and I'm cool with that. But what pisses me off with that review is it doesn't seem he even paid attention to the album. Some of his descriptions seem off-base, but that could just be a matter of opinion. However, he never even spells the name of the damn album right! If it happened once, or maybe even twice, I could just assume a typo. "M" and "N" are right next to each other. But he misspelled it every single time. And the title doesn't even make sense when spelled wrong, you would think they would have noticed something seemed wrong. So I doubt that if they didn't even spend enough time to pay attention to the name of the CD, did they really even listen to the music?
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: OK, differences in opinion aside... Reply with quote

To be fair, the title doesn't make sense in English when spelled right, either.

He was either going on bad information or the "N" on the cover looks like an "M". I don't know, because my package containing this album has been held up at Customs for over a ****ING MONTH [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
Raider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: OK, differences in opinion aside... Reply with quote

Nordland--I mean come on, you don't have to be an expert in foreign languages to guess that this means "Northland," which has been used in the past to refer to Scandinavia. During the Viking era, some people referred to the Vikings as "Northmen," and there have even been other Bathory songs that referred to Northland.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: OK, differences in opinion aside... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Raider:
Nordland--I mean come on, you don't have to be an expert in foreign languages to guess that this means "Northland," which has been used in the past to refer to Scandinavia. During the Viking era, some people referred to the Vikings as "Northmen," and there have even been other Bathory songs that referred to Northland.

But "Mordland" would mean "The land of the dead", which is pretty metal too - c'mon, how much do you think Popoff knows about Vikings? Probably less than I do, and I know most of what I know from _Eaters Of The Dead_.
Raider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: OK, differences in opinion aside... Reply with quote

That was a great book. Too bad they messed up the movie version.

But really, even before I took German I could have figured out that Nordland meant "Northland". I'm not sure if Nordland is the same in Swedish or German, or if he just used the German word (would sorta make sense since the lyrics in "Blood on Ice" come in English and German, but not Swedish). I don't know, but Swedish is a Germanic language (as is English), so I guess it could be possible. Any of the Swedes on the board want to clear this up?
HardRocker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: OK, differences in opinion aside... Reply with quote

The Normans, or "North men" were of Viking origin. Almost all the "Nor" means north.
Stark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: OK, differences in opinion aside... Reply with quote

Nordland means Northland
Mordland means Murderland

Swedish is in a sense related to both English and German, but there are also words borrowed from French and other language groups.
Believe it or not, but "Window" is actually an old Swedish word. It comes from the Swedish "vindue" (later "vindöga"), meaning windeye (the hole in the top of the tents or ancient houses). We have also contributed with words like "smorgasboard" and "ombudsman"
Raider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: OK, differences in opinion aside... Reply with quote

quote:
The Normans, or "North men" were of Viking origin
The ONLY thing that could explain them conquering England. Did anyone honestly think the French could do that? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
HardRocker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: OK, differences in opinion aside... Reply with quote

In 911, a group of Scandinavian raiders under the leadership of Rollo sailed up the Seine and forced the French king to cede French territory. The price the king asked was that Rollo become a subject of the king and swear loyalty. This he did, and the Norsemen settled a very small area in the north of France. Rollo, however, considered himself to be an independent ruler and aggressively set about increasing the territory under his control. This constant expansion of territory would become the hallmark of the Norman experience in history.
   Normandy was in name a duchy of France, but the Norman dukes ruled the area as if it were an independent kingdom with little interference from the French king. By the eleventh century, the duchy of Normandy had become one of the most powerful regions in western Europe. There were, however, even more promising times ahead—in 1066, the Norman duke, William the Bastard, conquered the English forces of Harold Godwinson and became king of England. Norman culture and political structure would cross the channel and dramatically change English culture and history.

[url=http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/MA/NORMANS.HTM]http://www.wsu.edu:80 80/~dee/MA/NORMANS.HTM[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: