HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Death of Metal
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: The Death of Metal Reply with quote

This post was prompted by the "ANY NIRVANA FANS IN THE HOUSE" thread. But since that thread has begun a downward spiral, I decided to post my thoughts to a new thread.

Neither Nirvana nor Grunge were responsible for the death of Metal. Metal declined for the following reasons:

1. The success of Metal was largely due to it's presence on MTV. When the sheep who had been feeding on Metal were instructed by their shepherd to graze elsewhere, they did as all sheep do, and obeyed. The same thing happened with disco. One day, it simply became “unhip”, and the people who had enjoyed Disco for years, suddenly decided it “sucked”. The largest percentage of the population will always follow trends, be it musical or not. They always have and they always will. However, whether or not these people are currently grazing on Metal or Disco has little bearing on the actual worth of the genre.

2. The bands that had brought Metal to the mainstream; Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Crue, AC/DC, Ozzy, and Def Leppard (I’m sure I left some out) were beginning to fade. And as these legends began to fade, there were too few great bands that rose to the forefront to carry the weight of the genre on their musical shoulders. In order for any genre to remain popular it can not stagnate. Bands like Warrant, Poison, Jackyl, Firehouse, and Brittney Fox were fun for what they were, but had nothing original or even interesting to offer fans. Clearly Metal had begun to stagnate.

3. Too many bands began to emphasize style over substance. The ideals that Motley Crue glorified; girls, booze, girls, drugs and girls had begun to permeate Metal. Instead of these subjects taking a background role, they moved to the foreground and videos became more about who had the most scantily clad vixen, than about who had the best song. By the time Metal began to fall, you couldn’t tell one MTV Metal band from the next.

When all is said and done, the fault lies largely with MTV. They hooked into one element of Metal, and beat it to death. They embraced the bands who followed trends, bands who their viewers could most easily identify with. They forced Metal to become a parody of itself. While there were bands in the underground who could have kept the genre flourishing, MTV opted to go with the known rather than the unknown. Why show your audience a Dream Theater video, which they may or may not like, when they’ll most certainly enjoy a Warrant video. Occasionally bands like Queensryche would sneak through MTV’s doors, but for the most part MTV wanted bands who fit their perception of what a Metal band was supposed to be. And because video play was so necessary to the success of a new Metal band, bands conformed themselves to become what MTV was looking for, and in the process killed the genre’s popularity.

GZ
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: The Death of Metal Reply with quote

I think most of us agree with you here, although I didn't witness it firsthand as I was not into music when metal's "demise" came about.
Paul G

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: The Death of Metal Reply with quote

When the sheep are fed nothing but sweet safe hard pop rock by the likes of Def Leppard/Jovi/Extreme/Mr.Big/Poison/Crue/Firehouse and are suddenly shown something grittier, more dangerous, edgier like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, Green River, Pearl Jam etc...I think rock fans at that point were sick and tired of the slicked up hard rock and wanted/were starving for something fresh, the early nineties didn't hurt the heavier bands like Pantera/Metallica/Slayer but the melodic let's party all night bands sure got killed off quick with the exception of Bon Jovi which is the lone arena band left from that late 80's - early 90's era pre-Nirvana. When MTV/Much Music played "Smells like Teen Spirit" it galvanized a movement, kids wanted something they could relate to and Def Leppard wasn't it let's face it they sucked at that point yet their label still pushed the crap outta them. Also Poison's and Def Leppards disastrous MTV live appearances did not help their cause.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: The Death of Metal Reply with quote

If metal is dead, then why we have this forum? Let's close it and make space in the hard disk.
JosephC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: The Death of Metal Reply with quote

I agree and disagree. I don't think MTV changes their direction because they stopped liking metal. I think metal declined because many people got turned off by it. Too many crap hair bands hit the market. There is always a place for good hair metal bands like Motley Crue. However, the music biz went out and signed every band that looked and sounded like Motley Crue, whether they were good or not.

I worked record retail during this period (87-92). Let me tell you, just before the downfall of that metal era, we would get 50+ MAJOR label releases a month by hair metal bands. Of those 50, you would probably have 5 of them that had merit. The vast majority of them sucked and have long since been forgotten. Since our location was largely a metal location, the staff there could kind of steer people in the right direction. However, there were so many bands that fell in the "one great song" category, that people would buy the CD and then come back and express dismay that there was only one good tune on it. The market got over-saturated with bad product and consumer's lost confidence, metal was still selling but new artists weren't moving huge numbers because there were just too many of them (divide up 500,000 sales between two artists and you have something, divide that same 500,000 among 50 bands and you don't have jack). The whole thing just collapsed on itself. Many of the people that stuck with metal stayed with Motley Crue but moved away from the mediocre hair bands and into Metallica. The "extremeness" of the Bay Area thrash didn't appeal to much of metal's audience (the ladies in particular) and metal lost a significant portion of it's audience there. But the over-saturation of bad hair bands really caused the downfall, the whole scene just collapsed on itself.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: The Death of Metal Reply with quote

GZ, I can't decide if I agree with you or not. The problem I always have with this debate is the fact that from the early days of Led Zeppelin all the way up to the Nirvana years there was always a niche on the (relatively) mainstream world for good, guitar driven, hard rock performed by capable musicians. The torch had been passed for almost 30 years, with each generation of bands building on what the one before them did. Then came Nirvana, and they were forced into that niche, only it was like putting a square peg in a round hole b/c they were NOT the same kind of band as all that came before them. They were more like a punk band in the way they approached their music....that is, as far as musicianship goes, they sucked and they didn't care. As a guitarist, this torked me off to no end, but as a music fan I felt extremely cheated. Where was the next generation of rock bands to follow in the footsteps of Zeppelin, Hendrix, Van Halen, Ozzy, etc? And since this all happened while I was in my late teens/early 20's, I felt cheated in that "my generation" was left out of the loop of hard rock history.

I also don't believe that metal bands like White Lion, Warrant, Poison, etc essentially did themselves in by failing to have anything "original or even interesting to offer fans". I personally found these bands both original and interesting and miss them terribly. Many guys in these bands were extremely talented musicians who are now working crap jobs while guys like Cobain and the current generation of nu-metal non-musicians receive accolade after accolade for how great they are. This is backwards to me, and I do blame MTV, but moreso I blame the stupidity of the average music consumer.

I was in a band back then. We weren't exactly glam, but our heaviness was at about Ozzy or Guns N Roses level. We chose to go the other route and got heavier and heavier, eventually sounding something like Sepultura. I don't know if we would have done that had the public in general not turned against hard rock the way they did. I don't mind saying I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder that developed back then. It sucks immeasurably to hear musicians on the radio who have the talent of the average 14 year old and know that they have taken the place of the bands and music you love.

All of this continues to this very day with these nu-rock bands. I understand that really extreme metal may never find it's way onto the radio, but there is no reason why bands like Nevermore, Sentenced, Evergrey, Lacuna Coil etc shouldn't get airplay. Instead they take a back seat to crap. This is more that just MTVs fault, this is the general public's fault. With the internet today, there is no reason not to be able to find and support quality metal and hard rock. That's why I came to HardRadio three and a half years ago, and that's what I do, and I know that's what everyone else here does. MTV is no longer the single source of musical information.

I really did have a clear and concise idea on what I wanted to talk about when I started typing this, but it seems to have just come out as a bunch of babble. Sorry about that. Hope it makes some sense, at least.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: The Death of Metal Reply with quote

Basically I think that casual music fans are fickle. They get tired of certain styles of music. Especially when it's shoved down their throats. It happened to metal,and it will happened to hip-hop,teen-pop,and everything else that's clogging up the airwaves.
setvnY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: The Death of Metal Reply with quote

The blacks and the Jews were on a conspiracy to eradicate good music and replace it with CRAP a.k.a. RAP or hip-hop.

They would provide the cheap blabbers which would simply talk nonsense instead of singing. This would sidestep the search for real vocal talent and musical skill as rap would need neither. We're cutting corners here.
A low cost way to dominate the music industry.

The Jews would provide the control and distribution of these material and through MTV would seek to brainwash the already pathetically low IQ'ed white teeny bopper teen insects in the suburbs, called WIGGERS.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: The Death of Metal Reply with quote

(falls over laughing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: