HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opeth????????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul G

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Opeth???????? Reply with quote

I'm confused, the official OPeth site doesn't mention a vinyl version in the discography at all. I remember reading very recently along with news of the Damnation vinyl on the site that a BP vinyl version is in the works.
JosephC

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Opeth???????? Reply with quote

The Blackwater Park vinyl is referenced on [url=http://www.opeth.com]www.opeth.com[/url]

In the discography section, go to Blackwater Park but ignore the info on the left sidebar. Scroll down on the photos on the right, and the vinyl reference is at the bottom. If you click on the picture of the label, it gives the label # along with the mention that it was a limited run of 1000.

I'm assuming that information to be correct. However, the rest of the vinyl (Orchid, Still Life, My Arms Your Hearse, Morningrise) are also limited to 1000, and I have no problem finding those. That almost leaves me to believe that even thought the official site lists Blackwater Park as available on vinyl, I think you may be correct, that it is in fact not released or is going to be released in the future. All that I know is that if it is out now, it is pretty scarce.
Paul G

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Opeth???????? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JosephC:
The Blackwater Park vinyl is referenced on [url=http://www.opeth.com]www.opeth.com[/url]

In the discography section, go to Blackwater Park but ignore the info on the left sidebar. Scroll down on the photos on the right, and the vinyl reference is at the bottom. If you click on the picture of the label, it gives the label # along with the mention that it was a limited run of 1000.

I'm assuming that information to be correct. However, the rest of the vinyl (Orchid, Still Life, My Arms Your Hearse, Morningrise) are also limited to 1000, and I have no problem finding those. That almost leaves me to believe that even thought the official site lists Blackwater Park as available on vinyl, I think you may be correct, that it is in fact not released or is going to be released in the future. All that I know is that if it is out now, it is pretty scarce.

OK now I see it, that scrollbar thingy wasn't working for me on that one yesterday. Let the hunt begin.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Opeth???????? Reply with quote

GZ-I listened to MAYH and Deliverance again last night. They didn't do much for me. I don't know why those two bore me so.
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Opeth???????? Reply with quote

"Deliverance" does little for me as well. I'm still surprised that MAYH bores you. Oh well... different folks, different strokes.

GZ
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Opeth???????? Reply with quote

I bought _Damnation_ with the intention of it being my make-or-break album for Opeth, and this time, I made a point of listening to its six predecessors before passing judgment on it. It's not really that simple, as it turns out. I don't think it's quite good enough to redeem the band in my eyes, but it's too good for me to easily dismiss them.

_Orchid_, _Morningrise_, and _My Arms, Your Hearse_ are surprisingly energetic...not something I usually associate with Opeth, but the riffs are pretty lively and there's lots of double bass. I never listened to any of these albums as much as I listened to _Still Life_ - and none of them are as consistent - but they all have lots of moments which are as good as anything Opeth's ever done. I like 'em a lot - good sense of buildup and payoff, and the songs always seem like they're going somewhere.

_Still Life_ is still my favorite and I doubt any of the others are likely to ever move it aside. All _Damnation_ needed was one song as good as "Benighted" and Opeth would be 100% back in my good books.

_Blackwater Park_, I'd put at about a par with listening to a seventy-year-old man complain about how his grandkids never call. For an hour. Flat, boring riffs and melodies and songs that go on and on and on without direction.

_Deliverance_ impressed me at first but it got more tedious with further listens - 90-year-old man, five hours. Was repeating the same riff for four minutes on end Opeth's idea or Wilson's? It's tempting to blame Wilson - surely, his involvement and Opeth's sudden transformation into boring old fuddy-duddies can't be coincidence - but a band has to take responsibility for itself. This album makes me wish "tediousest" and "boringest" were words.

_Damnation_, I'm rather enjoying. The tightened-up running length helps. I don't like thinking of this as a companion piece to _Deliverance_.
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Opeth???????? Reply with quote

I find "Morningrise" and "My Arms, Your Hearse" to very consistent discs. I'd agree that "Still Life" is probably their best. "Benighted" and "Face of Melida" are two of the best songs I've ever heard.

I rather enjoy "Blackwater Park". I think it's solid throughout. That being said, "Deliverance" leaves me flat.

GZ
metalblood

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Opeth???????? Reply with quote

1. Still Life
2. Orchid
3. My Arms Your Hearse
4. Moringrise
5. Damnation
6. Deliverance
7. Blackwater Park

BP just doesn't do it for me either, seems that disc isn't well liked here.
Ug

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Opeth???????? Reply with quote

I bought "Still Life" and "My Arms..." together(my first Opeth album was Morningrise, and became a fan straight away) and since then I have to listen to them at the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: