HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soilwork: Figure Number Five
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Soilwork: Figure Number Five Reply with quote

Got it today. Listened to it once through. Initial impressions leave me a little confused. Soilwork seems to have a somewhat un-Soilwork-ish sound on this disc. I thought every song was "okay" or even good, but I was waiting for the song or two that kicked my a$$ like [i]As We Speak[/i] from Natural Born Chaos, or [i]Like the Average Stalker[/i] from A Predators Portrait, and I don't know that they are there on this one. Although I thought the very last song was pretty good. Definately some cool choruses and clean vocals throughout the disc, but the melodic and more intricate riffing and harmonies are largely replaced with more blues-based traditional metal riffs. Not bad, but different. Almost Pantera-ish in some places.

So, my first feelings are that this disc is different and slightly refreshing, but like I said I just don't think those couple of knockout songs are here on this one. Not a bad disc at all, but I don't think it's as good as their last two. Maybe it will grow on me though.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Soilwork: Figure Number Five Reply with quote

I have it on order.
live4metal

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Soilwork: Figure Number Five Reply with quote

I've had the CD for about a month.And while it is killer stuff,it has'nt grabbed me like Natural Born Chaos did.I really wish Devin Townsend would have continued to produce for them.Still though it remains pretty much the same recipe,very heavy with both harsh and clean vocals(I can't really call the harder parts death metal vocals)and lots of melody.Best trax are Figure Number Five,Brickwalker(my fav),Departure Plan,Cranking the Sirens & Light the Torch.A very good album,so if you loved NBC you'll love this one also.So far it ranks about 3rd or 4th best this year for me.This band is definitly one of my favorite of the newer Metal Gods.
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Soilwork: Figure Number Five Reply with quote

Mijarra,

I'd have to disagree with you assessing this disc as "refreshing". This disc is nothing if not rehashed. This CD is just a watered down version of "NBC". With each disc they mve further and further from their roots, in hopes of expanding their fanbase. This will be the first Soilwork disc I don't buy.

GZ
live4metal

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Soilwork: Figure Number Five Reply with quote

Oh come on GZ.It's not their best,but it is a pretty damn good CD.If anything they have fallen prey to the same mind set as In Flames in that they're continueing to "water" down their sound in an attempt to build a bigger fan base.Unfortuantly it's a double edged sword,as you risk losing some of those who would prefer a heavier Predators Portrait sound.As seems to be the case with you GZ.Give it a few more listens.Brickwalker is an awesome track.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Soilwork: Figure Number Five Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
Mijarra,

I'd have to disagree with you assessing this disc as "refreshing". This disc is nothing if not rehashed. This CD is just a watered down version of "NBC". With each disc they mve further and further from their roots, in hopes of expanding their fanbase. This will be the first Soilwork disc I don't buy.

GZ

I can see why you'd say that. My feelings are that many of these European melodic death-type bands seem to follow the same recipe in their music. Don't get me wrong, it's a great sound and I love these bands, but sometimes I look for something else. I think Predators Portrait was within that framework of typical Euro-death, NBC deviated from it noticably, and Fig #5 does so even further. I get a little bored when I pop in 5 CDs by 5 different bands and they all have the same "vibe". So, it's refreshing to me in the sense that they seem to be deviating from the standard approach. Maybe it is getting far from their roots, but I think real question is if they are changing musically as a result of artistic experimentation or in order to court listeners from other genres (like Pantera-type hardcore fans, or even nu-metal). I guess only they know the answer to that, but in listening to Fig #5 I'm a little on the fence as to my opinion on the subject. I guess I have to give them the benefit of the doubt, since I really do like the CD and I can't see Soilwork touring with Limp Biskit anytime soon. I hope.
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Soilwork: Figure Number Five Reply with quote

l4m-

Sorry Bro. It's not bad, it just doesn't inspire me to buy it. It strikes me as being a little too formulated. They definitely weren't taking any musical risk with this CD. Granted, I have warmed to other discs that didn't grab me at first. However, I just don't see this CD ever grabbing me the way their earlier stuff had.

Mijarra,

I agree that the whole Death Metal scene has become quite redundant. And I'd agree that NBC was a large departure from that sound. And similarly, FNF is also a departure from that traditional sound. However, FNF follows so closely in the footsteps of NBC that it sounds like their hearts just weren't in it. I also feel that it's neither as melodic nor as hard edged as NBC.

GZ
Jake

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Soilwork: Figure Number Five Reply with quote

I still have yet to check this one out. I'm worried after General Zod's comments, cause I don't like rehashing.
Metal1

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Soilwork: Figure Number Five Reply with quote

Guys,

I apologize. The only work I've heard Devin do was the cover of Sinner by Priest (which I liked!)

What is the band's sound? Are they more in the realm of melodic stuff, or more cookie-monster stuff?

I hate comparing bands, but it might help me get an idea of what they are about bafore I go off throwing cash at them!

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: