HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aska
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Aska Reply with quote

I have one album by them "Avenger". I bought it because the band was recommend it to me as very [i]Maidenesque[/i]. I am pretty dissapointed with it, if it's true that the Maiden essence is there, not much is valuable. The lyrics are kind of idiotic/simplistic/unoriginal to my taste, and the band playing is not big deal. I heard some songs from their previous effort "Nine Tongues", and I decided not to pursue the band anymore.

Except for Steel Prophet, I have found that most American "power" bands (Enertia, Division, Prototype, Premonition, Cage, Imagika, Ion Vein, etc) are not interesting to me.
woosta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Aska Reply with quote

Aska is probably the most kick ass underground (read: unsigned) U.S. band going. They don't sound anything like maiden. In fact, the remind me a lot of the first HittMan cd where the band goes from Priest style tunes to some heavier Kiss style to metal to rock and they do it all well. I believe their cds have been all released independently by the band so that gives them some bonus points there because they haven't had any $$ provided them and they still turn out a solid effort every time.

Think old school metal meets heavy hard rock and you'll like Aska!
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Aska Reply with quote

I saw the band Aska mentioned in another thread by GZ. Can you guys tell me about this band? Are they worth checking out? All I know is that they're power metal.
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Aska Reply with quote

Aska does kicks ass. For starters, George Call is the best unknown singer in Metal. He's got a cool sound, lot's of power, and just wait till you here the note that winds down "Crown of Thorns" (one of my all-time favorite songs).

While they don't wear their influences on their sleeve, they definitely grew up fans of Maiden and Manowar. The singing is top flight, the guitar playing is well done, and there are some trully kick ass tracks on this disc; the aforementioned "Crown of Thorns", "Imperial Rome", "Valkyries" and "Angels of War".

"Avenger" is highly recommended for fans of Power Metal.

GZ
Stark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Aska Reply with quote

I have two albums "Immortal" and "Nine Tongues". Pretty good power metal (not the German type, but REAL power metal). Reminds me of early Malice at times.
Nazman06

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Aska Reply with quote

yeah and george is cool..I was at a club and was gonna play a few tunes and he got up and did the vocals for me..he's a cool dude
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Aska Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check out "Avenger" when I have more $$$$.

GZ-What do you think of their other releases?
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Aska Reply with quote

Their previous release "Nine Tongues" (great cover art) was solid, but not on the same level. They were still using two singers. On "Avenger", they decided that George should handle all of the vocal duties (smart move... I would consider him one of Metal's 10 best vocalists). They also became more focused with the direction of the band on "Avenger". On "Nine Tongues" there is a song or two that doesn't even sound like it's by the same band. I thought that "Avenger" was a big step forward. They went from being local heroes to being a serious player. I would pick up "Avenger" and then go back and grab "Nine Tongues" if you really dig what they're doing. It's almost worth it just for "Call of the Wolf".

After you've checked out "Avenger" let us know what you think.

GZ

P.S. - by the way, if you like, go to [url=http://www.askaband.com]www.askaband.com[/url] to check out some sound clips.
Templar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Aska Reply with quote

I don't have much more to add beyond what General Zod said, so I'll just say that after I purchased Avenger and was impressed with it, I also ordered Nine Tongues and liked it as well -- it's not on the same level as Avenger, but it's still good. And yes, George Call's vocals kick ******* ass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: