HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Flames/Soilwork/Chimaira in Philly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: In Flames/Soilwork/Chimaira in Philly Reply with quote

Venue - The Trocadero in Philly.

Capacity - 1,500. I would say the venue was sold out, or very, very close.

Chimaira - sucked. Actually, they were tight. However, they were tight at playing sucky music. Their set opened with an acoustic guitar piece. Strangely, this guitar piece was taped. Isn't anyone in the band capable of playing this live? Lame.

Soilwork - I had seen Soilwork once before, and thought they were a real bore. However, very few bands I've seen have been exciting at Club Chrome (New Jersey). So, I decided to wipe the slate clean. I'm happy to say, Soilwork definitely redeemed themselves last night. Their sound was tight and the vocals came across as flawlessly as Death vox can come across. Their backing vocals even came through well. The only problem I had with Soilwork's performance, was their set list. They played "Needlefeast" from "A Predator's Portrait", and the remainder of their set was comprised of tracks from either "Natural Born Chaos" or "Figure Number Five". People were screaming for "Chainheart Machine" material. But to no avail. It's a shame, because Soilwork did a real good job at whipping the crowd into a frenzy. And had they relied a bit more heavily on some of their more classic, brutal material, they would have pushed them right over the edge. But instead, when the crowd was begging for the likes of "Bulletbeast", Soilwork chose to play songs like "Light The Torch".

In Flames - this was the 5th time I've seen In Flames live. While I feel that In Flames is a real good band, I think they're just phenomenal live. I've brought people to In Flames shows who don't even listen to Metal, much less melodic Death Metal, and they've loved it. However, In Flames did not have their "A" game last night. So much of a crowd's reaction to In Flames is based on Anders. And Anders (say what you will about his voice) is simply one of the best frontmen on the planet. But last night, he just didn't have it. He mentioned that he had the worst hangover of his life yesterday afternoon. It showed. On a few occasions he got the crowd going. However, over all, In Flames mailed it in.

The other problem I had with In Flames was their set list. How can they not play "Ordinary Story" or "Food for the Gods"? Do we need to hear 8, that's right, 8 songs from "Reroute to Remain". I understand that's the disc they're touring in support of, but 8? Let's keep in mind that their fans reaction was so negative to "Reroute" that they yanked their official forum off of the Ultimate Metal board, because all anyone was doing was trashing them.

GZ
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: In Flames/Soilwork/Chimaira in Philly Reply with quote

8 songs from Reroute? That's no good. Most of the songs from Soilwork were from Figure Number Five? That's terrible.

I still wish this tour was coming to the DC area. I wouldn't mind seeing In Flames or Soilwork again.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: In Flames/Soilwork/Chimaira in Philly Reply with quote

I actually think that Anders is the best thing about them live. He is a commanding presence on stage and can really work a crowd. This was the only time I've seen them (and I've seen them 5 times) that Anders had an off night.

GZ
nitro4040

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: In Flames/Soilwork/Chimaira in Philly Reply with quote

Soilwork only played 1 song off the first 3 cd's? That sucks.

In Flames - Anders is the weak link for them live. He is either hungover, sick, or misses the beat. I love them, and 2 of the 4 times I saw them, they kicked ass, but the other 2, one with IE, not that great, the other with Nevermore and Shadow's Fall, set list was cut short cause he was sick. 8 songs off Reroute is freaking ridiculous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: