HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metal And Literature
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Metal And Literature Reply with quote

What bands/albums/songs if any got you interested in literature or a particular author? Also,what are the best songs based on literary works? Thirdly,which literary works cry out to be metallized? Iron Maiden's "To Tame A Land" stands out for me as the best since it got me interested in Dune.
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Metal And Literature Reply with quote

Iron Maiden's Stranger in a Strange Land got me to read Robert A. Heinlein's book by the same name(or part of it anyway). Since then I've contemplated reading more from him, but I haven't made up my mind.
EdwardTHead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Metal And Literature Reply with quote

Maiden did get me to read a lot of Heinlein books even though they have nothing to do with the songs. I also read some Poe and Lord of the Flies because of Maiden.

Vigin Steele got me to read a lot of Greek Lit, including The Oddessy and the Illiad and the majority of the plays.

I'm sure there are others that have made me go and read but off the top of my head I can't think of any more.
Icarus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Metal And Literature Reply with quote

[b]Iced Earth[/b] got me into Bram Stoker's [i]Dracula[/i], only to find out that the movie (what the song is based on) and book, are very different animals.

[b]Metallica's[/b] [i]Creeping Death[/i] got me into reading passages in the bible about Moses and him freeing the slaves, and the curses he inflicted on the Pharoh as warned by God.
You know all of the good stuff, plague, death, famine, etc.
Urizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Metal And Literature Reply with quote

Maiden has gotten me into Brave New World, Stranger in a Strange Land (not related to the book), Rime of the Ancient Mariner and a lot more
Maiden has been good for me literature and history wise
Evil Doctor X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Metal And Literature Reply with quote

I read and did a report on "Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo because of Metallica's One.
vtravi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Metal And Literature Reply with quote

I have gotten in Lit. and History because of Maiden. Of Course there is Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. I also read the biography of Alexander the Great. It also got me into Mythology with songs like Flight of Icarus and Powerslave.

I will read the Sumrillion bt JRR Tolkien. Because of Nightfall in Middle Earth, on of my all time fav.
Stark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Metal And Literature Reply with quote

vtravi: The Tolkien-book is called "Silmarillion", which is also where Marillion took their name from.
vtravi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Metal And Literature Reply with quote

I new I was going to spell that wrong. But I will read that next. Although I am reading War and Peace now so it might be awhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: