HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by PHDPLUS:
You're right, Yngwie isn't in the same vein as Satch and Vai. That is, Yngwie's playing is melodic while the Satch/Vai Siamese Twins Act is known for its atonal and discordant sound that can be best described as sounding like a monsoon whistling through an aardvark's ass.

Macalpine and Petrucci sound like their trying to play fast. It's so contrived and unnatural for them it's purely comical. Leave the extreme virtuosity to Yngwie, since he has the monopoly on it.

As far as as a trio of guitarists, put Yngwie with DiMeola and German guitar prodigy Bernd Steidl-- now that would be a show!![/QB]

With all due respect, that's a lot of BULLSHIT. Satriani and Vai are 10^10 times better than Malmsteen. I got all albums form all of them, and I consider Yngwie just a egomaniacal shredder with nice songs. Satriani and Vai are guitarrist with feeling, quality, blues and classical spirit. YM solos are about been fast and repetitive, JS and SV solos are about passion and glory.

For something like G3, you need a passionate axeman, not a "unleashing furies" [i]prima donna.[/i]
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

I like to keep a level head about such things....but I have to say, Yngwie is the most passionate axeman of the three on this G3. Whether you like his music or not, he puts more fire and passion into his playing than Joe and Steve put together, at least to me he does, which is why I find him more exciting to watch onstage.

Not that it matters....the last two G3 tours will have featured my four favourite guitarists, so I've got absolutely no complaints whatsoever. As with the last tour, I will go along and thoroughly enjoy every minute of every performer.

It's funny, but yet again, the inclusion of Yngwie makes this G3 more talked about than any other. Wherever Yngwie pops up, people talk, be it for good or bad. There aren't many characters like that around these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulEMoz:
I like to keep a level head about such things....but I have to say, Yngwie is the most passionate axeman of the three on this G3.

I have a lot of respect for your opinion, but I have to disagree. I hear very little passion in Yngwie's playing. Now, this may be a matter of how we each define "passion". To me, a song like "Blue Powder" by Vai just drips with passion. Yngwie rarely slows down long enough to give his playing any balance.

quote:
Not that it matters....the last two G3 tours will have featured my four favourite guitarists, so I've got absolutely no complaints whatsoever. As with the last tour, I will go along and thoroughly enjoy every minute of every performer.

As will I. While I don't put Yngwie on Vai's level (I put no one on Vai's level), Yngwie is still a guitar great. I mostly rag on Malmsteen because I think he's never matured. He's still doing basically the same thing he was doing 20 years ago.

quote:
It's funny, but yet again, the inclusion of Yngwie makes this G3 more talked about than any other.

I think that has less to do with Yngwie, and more to do with the fans he attracts. He seems to have a good number of fans like PHDPLUS, whose blind hero worships leads them to making inflamatory statements that occasionally fuel boards like this one.

GZ
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
quote:
[qb]I like to keep a level head about such things....but I have to say, Yngwie is the most passionate axeman of the three on this G3.

I have a lot of respect for your opinion, but I have to disagree. I hear very little passion in Yngwie's playing. Now, this may be a matter of how we each define "passion". To me, a song like "Blue Powder" by Vai just drips with passion. Yngwie rarely slows down long enough to give his playing any balance.

Yngwie has passion in songs like 'Crying' (awsome tune), but is not even close to 'For The Love Of God' (Vai) or 'The Forgotten part 2' (Satriani).
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

You know, thinking about it, "passionate" is not the word I was looking for. I mean, all three of them are extremely passionate about their music, and put everything into it. You could say that about most musicians really, it just depends how it translates to the listener. For instance, I don't think that something necessarily has to be slow to sound passionate. For me, Yngwie's solo in "The Wizard" is one of the most exciting solos I've ever heard, and gives me chills every time I hear it. Yet to others, it'll just sound like a bunch of fast notes. Like we've said, it's in the personal translation.

I think what I meant to say is that Yngwie is the most fiery player, at least onstage. Even if you happen to think he plays the same stuff over and over again, he does it with utter conviction every time onstage, and I love to watch him attack his guitar in a way I don't think anybody else does.

I think this will be an incredibly interesting show. Each of the three players is completely different (a lot of people think Satch and Vai are similar musically, but I disagree), so each set will be completely different, and the jam at the end should be....well, interesting, without a doubt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

quote:
I think what I meant to say is that Yngwie is the most fiery player, at least onstage.

Define "fiery".

As for the stage, Vai is best showman of anyone I've ever seen hold a guitar.

quote:
I think this will be an incredibly interesting show. Each of the three players is completely different (a lot of people think Satch and Vai are similar musically, but I disagree), so each set will be completely different, and the jam at the end should be....well, interesting, without a doubt.

Agree completely. To my ear, Vai and Satch couldn't be more different. The jam will be very interesting.

GZ
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

Well, Vai is more silky smooth. He slinks around the stage, and has just as much presence as Yngwie, just in a completely different way.

OK, defining "fiery"....how can I put it....I think it's the realm of the unknown that I like about Yngwie. Although, as I said, to some people, everything he plays sounds the same, you KNOW that whatever he plays will NOT be the same as it is on the record. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen, but the air of unpredictability is there. Satch and Vai often pretty much nail what they played in the studio. I'd like to see Yngwie do that more often, but when he just goes off somewhere yet manages to land back at exactly the right place when he needs to....it just amazes me.

Anyway, regardless of which I prefer and why, I own every (solo) album by every player on this bill, so I'm guaranteed a good time, lots of music I love, and the best three or four hours I'll have had at a show this year!
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

Fair enough.

I prefer to hear a guitar player (live) spend about 75% of the time nailing what he did in the studio, and the remaining 25% improvising.

Do you think it's easier for Yngwie to improvise his solos, than it would be for Satch and Vai to improvise theirs? The reason I ask that is, their solos, at least to my ears, sound more song-oriented than do Yngwie's. Yngwie's solos often sound as if they were improvised in the studio (and I believe they often are), where Vai and Satch's sound as if they were meticulously penned ahead of time.

GZ
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

I believe that 95% of Yngwie's solos are improvised from start to finish (these days, maybe not to such a degree in the early days). Even those that have any planning, it's usually not for the entire solo (case in point - Valhalla from his Attack!! album). When he DOES come up with structured, planned stuff, it's extremely good, however, as T-Rabbit mentioned in another thread, he doesn't appear to have the patience. I don't know if I would call it a flaw exactly, but it's certainly an unusual way to work, kind of the musical equivalent of "stream of consciousness" writers. I do think more of a balance of structure and improv would be good.

So, onstage, it's a case of "how do you reconstruct an improvised solo?". You can't really. He sticks within the framework of the studio solo, but usually with many departures. I can imagine it's not to everyone's tastes! In fact, it probably makes it more difficult for many people to like what he does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: