HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's going to buy Dance of Death tommorrow?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Who's going to buy Dance of Death tommorrow? Reply with quote

I think thats true Ithunter. Also people expect Maiden to put out an album that encompasses all of metal and satisfies everyone. Like that inane Popoff review of "Dance of Death" implies they should be doing something more, saying they should do something smarter, well, they do what they do, AND THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. In fact, its quite good!
Jake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Who's going to buy Dance of Death tommorrow? Reply with quote

No More Lies sounds too much like Nomad from Brave New World. What's up with that? Some of these other songs also sound like they have counterparts on Brave New World.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Who's going to buy Dance of Death tommorrow? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by lthunter:
I seem to have figured out something with modern-day Iron Maiden. It seems that people fall into one of 2 categories as a Maiden fan. The first are the people who only like the Powerslave and previous era and the second are the ones who like both eras and can appreciate the new epic-progressive type sound that Maiden have embraced as their sound now for the most part. I for one am of the second half and it surprises me that more folks on this board don't appreciate the progressive-sounding stuff that they do now. For example I've heard alot of people putting down the song "Dance of Death" while for me that song just friggin rulez! I love the folk/progressive elements in that song! I loved X-Factor and some of Virtual XI even though Blaze isn't the greatest vocalist, some of the songs on those albums just kill! I don't know, it just seems some people should be a little more open-minded around here. I guess it's just cause I listen to so many different sub-genre's of metal instead of confining myself to one or two.

And does this not describe me?

Nobody needs to make up excuses for why I (or anyone else) don't like Maiden these days. It has nothing to do with them being epic or progressive - I don't think they're either - and it has nothing to do with anyone's closed mind or liking [i]Powerslave[/i] and previous (actually, I like the next two albums just fine).
Metal1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Who's going to buy Dance of Death tommorrow? Reply with quote

I never thought it could be done, but I'm really getting a similar vibe to Van Halen here!

It seems like, just as with VH, there are some fans that just love to hate Maiden! Its that sort of only happy when it rains, masochistic quality...kind of like being a Jets fan...

I'll kind of sit on the fence. I really love the mature version of the band. Some of the sections of the new songs are truly great; very well thought out. At the same time, some elements of repetition are a bit overused. No more Lies is perfect. Some of the guitar riffs are really cool, and the vocals work out nicely. But the chorus could have beared a little less repeating.

I will say something I think we can all agree with. Maiden could be single most over-analyzed bands ever. If they were ants, they would have been set on fire years ago considering the magnifying glass they are always under!
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Who's going to buy Dance of Death tommorrow? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Metal1:
I never thought it could be done, but I'm really getting a similar vibe to Van Halen here!

It seems like, just as with VH, there are some fans that just love to hate Maiden! Its that sort of only happy when it rains, masochistic quality...kind of like being a Jets fan...

This would only be the case if I planned on buying the album in spite of such trepidation.

quote:

I will say something I think we can all agree with. Maiden could be single most over-analyzed bands ever. If they were ants, they would have been set on fire years ago considering the magnifying glass they are always under!

They are, I think inarguably, the biggest real metal band in the world. They get a lot of attention.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Who's going to buy Dance of Death tommorrow? Reply with quote

Popoff only gave it a 7.5.
Ug

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Who's going to buy Dance of Death tommorrow? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Metal1:

I'll kind of sit on the fence. I really love the mature version of the band. Some of the sections of the new songs are truly great; very well thought out. At the same time, some elements of repetition are a bit overused. No more Lies is perfect. Some of the guitar riffs are really cool, and the vocals work out nicely. But the chorus could have beared a little less repeating.

I really love Maiden and I have all of their albums but as I said before they haven't done anything good (I am not a picky fan, so I can be satified with a "good" album instead of "great")since "7th Son". I have listened to the new album, it's a mixture of "Fear of..", very little "No Prayer..." and some left over songs from "Brave New..." [b]IMO[/b] , therefore I have decided not to buy this album or wait until the price is reaaaally low since CD is Hong Kong are f [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] cking expensive.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Who's going to buy Dance of Death tommorrow? Reply with quote

Here's a review from bravewords.com

IRON MAIDEN Dance Of Death (Sanctuary/EMI)

Aside from producer Kevin Shirley’s excellent online updates, the follow-up to Brave New World was locked up tighter than Fort Knox. Not a peep has been leaked aside from the band’s live airing of the leadoff cut/first single, ‘Wildest Dreams’, an unmemorable ‘70s-inspired Status Quo/Slade anthem. And with virtually every snapshot in time where leader/bassist Steve Harris’ head is at, the band consistently fire on all cylinders. Trouble is, the vehicle is in need of an oil change. Dance Of Death is undeniably classic Maiden. And Sanctuary knows if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. But that’s the problem. Aside from the orchestral bits that are peppered throughout the record, the writing template remains a constant. And there’s just way too much meat on the bone. Chop the record down by a third and release the follow-up in late 2004, not 2006. Never thought I’d see myself complaining about the length of a Maiden record, but in this case the UK heroes dilute the overall appeal of Dance Of Death by filling the mother up and the cup spilleth over. If you want epic, you’ve got it - nine cuts over five minutes plus, six of them over six minutes plus. Nonetheless, the event gets extremely tiring. Looking at the pure quality on Dance Of Death and not the inherent filler, ‘No More Lies’ is the first eyebrow lifter, although it fills the same shoes as ‘Blood Brothers’ from the last record. The chorus sees frontman Bruce Dickinson quite feisty, his lungs failing to wane as the years go by, whilst guitarists Adrian Smith, Dave Murray and Janick Gers solo up a three-headed gun fight. The excellent ‘Rainmaker’, ‘Gates Of Tomorrow’ and drummer Nicko McBrain’s lone inscription, ‘New Frontier’ (his first writing credit in 20 years!) are galloping dustups with memorable choruses to boot. ‘Age Of Innocence’ coulda been pulled from Bruce’s debut solo effort Tattooed Millionaire, it’s swing-like chorus adding a lighter tone to an overall somber record. A strangely refreshing guitar riff from Adrian Smith permeates ‘Paschendale’, a memorable epic detailing the historic World War I battle. Although the cut is one of many in Harris' repertoire that begin with a noodling bass intro, it quickly unites the six-piece in instrumental glory. The title track signals Harris storytelling time once again, but lyrically the longwinded tale is just too much to swallow. It's described as the centerpiece of the record, moreso it's a lesson in patience as the words smother the music. Finale ‘Journeyman’, the mellowest cut on the record, is a bizarre twist, but quite refreshing. It sees Maiden stretching themselves far into the future with never-ending acoustics, passion-filled orchestration and an autobiographical theme. Shame it took so long to get to this point.

7.5 Tim Henderson
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Who's going to buy Dance of Death tommorrow? Reply with quote

7.5 is too high. I'm thinking it's going to be more like a 6.5 to me. Worst since X Factor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: