HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bands That Have Made A Lot Of Good Albums But No Absolute Cl
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Bands That Have Made A Lot Of Good Albums But No Absolute Cl Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the Killbox 13 thread,I've always found Overkill to be one of those bands that makes a lot of good,solid records,but has never made an absolute,earth-shattering classic(at least imo). Annihilator is another band that comes to mind. Their stuff never really falls short,but they never really outdo themselves either.

My question is,what bands iyo have made lots of records that you've merely liked but not loved? In other words,what bands always make you clap politely but never stand up and cheer?
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Bands That Have Made A Lot Of Good Albums But No Absolute Cl Reply with quote

Warlock. The ingredients for a great metal record were partially assembled what with the great vocalist that Doro Pesch is. But they never totally delivered, I think her band wasn't talented enough to write truly great songs. Nevertheless, I enjoy owning all the Warlock albums.
woosta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Bands That Have Made A Lot Of Good Albums But No Absolute Cl Reply with quote

Without doubt, it's Grave Digger. I keep waiting for them to burst into the upper echelon, but they can't seem to do it!
TageRyche

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Bands That Have Made A Lot Of Good Albums But No Absolute Cl Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Warlock. The ingredients for a great metal record were partially assembled what with the great vocalist that Doro Pesch is. But they never totally delivered, I think her band wasn't talented enough to write truly great songs. Nevertheless, I enjoy owning all the Warlock albums.

I thought the Triumph and Agony album was fantastic, but I can see where others would have the opinion of them not having a true classic album.

I'd disagree with iwarrior about Overkill though. While I think just about all of their catalog is mediocre, The Years of Decay is one of the finest thrash albums I've ever heard.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Bands That Have Made A Lot Of Good Albums But No Absolute Cl Reply with quote

It depends on what you call a classic. I'm a believer that all bands have AT LEAST one song that worths so much, that justifies the existence of the band. I haven't heard any of the bands (at least in detail) mentioned so far except for Grave Digger. And I must say that 'Heavy Metal Breakdown' and 'Paradise/Enola Gay(drop the bomb)' are to me classics of metal.

Now if you refer to classics accepted by the community in general...that's another story.
chrisbjackson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Bands That Have Made A Lot Of Good Albums But No Absolute Cl Reply with quote

If I rated every album in the Nazareth discography out of 10, I'd give out quite a few solid 8s for sure, maybe even a low 9... but not a 10.

As well as U.D.O., Sammy Hagar solo, and Rhapsody. Actually much of the current European power metal, come to think of it. A lot of it is very good quality, but lacking that little bit extra 'punch' that lets you know it will be really remembered in ten years over the rest of the crowded field.
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Bands That Have Made A Lot Of Good Albums But No Absolute Cl Reply with quote

Manowar has also been that type of band since the early 80s. They released 4 good albums and then the rest are all just passable, with some good songs, but no complete great releases. And hey I dig Manowar, but it's disappointing seeing them release fun, but not stellar albums over and over again. I wish they could go back to what they had in the early 80s when they were a good band, but that is probably impossible.
Badboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Bands That Have Made A Lot Of Good Albums But No Absolute Cl Reply with quote

Depending on what you mean by a classic. The stuff you hear on the radio 10 years later or what metal fans on this board consider classic.

Queensryche has had three or four great albums but will they go down as never having any classic songs.

Here are some others that come to mind:

Saxon
Lillian Axe
Loudness
Symphony X
Iced Earth
FALCON

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Bands That Have Made A Lot Of Good Albums But No Absolute Cl Reply with quote

I could not begin to answer this one, until a solid definition of classic is compiled.??? Classic compared to the field or their own catalog? Anyways, that one makes my head hurt, I'd agree to an extent on most those bands, but classic has a real different meaning to me.

Anyways for funsake, I'd propose: Flotsam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: