HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazz through the eyes of the metal head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Jazz through the eyes of the metal head Reply with quote

Anyone listen to jazz? I've always liked it, but I've been really getting into it lately, especially as a guitarist. It's a whole other ball game, switching to jazz from a metal background. I'm using chords now that I thought only existed in wives tales and the twisted legends of washed up blues players. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, musician or not, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is into jazz "on the side". What you like, what you hate, how it fits in with the metal you listen to, etc. Whatever. I'm getting plenty of good advice from jazz guys, but I'd like to hear some fresh opinions.

I wonder if anyone will respond to this post. Just to be sure, um, Metallica's new album sucks...gimme a hell yeah! hee hee [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Jazz through the eyes of the metal head Reply with quote

Watching the BET jazz channel is about as close as I come to being a jazz fan. I dig some of the stuff these guys can pull off, but the total compositions usually leave me flat. I come out thinking "if only these guys could perform on a well written metal track.

Some of those guitarists and bassists do make you go wow. I have one jazz/fusion cd by a guy named Victor Wooten, who is a bass badass. I don't know what to really say about it, just like a lot of the jazz I've heard, the complicated(though skilled) noodling gets in the way of the compositions. In some cases I don't even think of them as songs as much as just showoff material. Kindof like what people complain about Yngwie only worse.

I once had a tape of bass day with some other top of the line bassists, but I don't know what happened to that or I'd comment on those people too.

Overall feeling is the talent is there and the instrumental comes through strong, but I don't like the way they style their songs. I like the hook of rock 'n' roll/metal songs a lot more.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Jazz through the eyes of the metal head Reply with quote

No I don't hear jazz regularly, and I don't have jazz in my collection except "CAB" (MacAlpine/Brunel/Chambers), which is more fusion than classic jazz.

Jazz is too complex, technical, deep, polished, intelligent, respectable...and boring (LOL) for me. I respect it totally but is not my cup of tea.

But if you want to learn an instrument for real, I advice to learn classical training, then jazz and then go into metal.

Listen to people like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Max Roach, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Mingus and even Wynton Marsalis. We may not like the music but those guys are state of the art musicians.
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Jazz through the eyes of the metal head Reply with quote

I like Jazz. Though, typically Jazz without vocals. Most typically, guitar based Jazz.

GZ
lamireille

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Jazz through the eyes of the metal head Reply with quote

I like jazz essentially of New Orleans, Scat and Be Bop styles.
Modern free style is unearable to me, always figuring it's sounding like dodecacophonic music.
I hear some regularly, only stuff made between 1920 and caves of Saint Germain des Prés and Boris Vian fames.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Metal1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Jazz through the eyes of the metal head Reply with quote

Funny enough, the thing that got me into music was listening to Maynard Ferguson' Birdland back in middle school...if that's jazz, I guess I have to say I like it.
Ug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Jazz through the eyes of the metal head Reply with quote

I'm more into fusion than jazz (Jeff Beck, Steve Morse etc). Aside from metal, I listen to a lot of blues, like BB King (earlier stuff), John Lee Hooker, Johnny Winter etc.
EdwardTHead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Jazz through the eyes of the metal head Reply with quote

I'm not much of a jazz fan. There is some stuff I like but I haven't listened to it for a long time. However, I do like to play jazz. I'm a trombone player so I get some good parts. I'm always like that I think, I like to play it but not listen to it.
Mayhem62

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Jazz through the eyes of the metal head Reply with quote

I've always liked the Fusion from the late 70's era. Artists such as Jeff Beck, Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Return to Forever, Stanley Clarke. And even pop-jazz such as Yellowjackets, early Spyro Gyra.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: