HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nevermore - Enemies of Complacency
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Zod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Nevermore - Enemies of Complacency Reply with quote

The much anticipated "Enemies of Reality" seems to have taken a lot of hits. Complaints of poor production, short running time and overall weak song quality, have plagued reviews of this CD. While some of these points have a degree of validity, overall it seems that most people have missed the point.

Let's start with the production. While I would agree that the production on "Enemies" is not at all similar to the crisp, clean sound that Andy Sneap delivered on "Dead Heart in a Dead World", the sound is by design. Say what you will about Kelly Gray, but he's not a complete idiot. He has a number of production credits to his name, most of which (ironically) have a rather crisp, clean sound. Had Nevermore wanted that sound for “Enemies”, I'm quite sure he could have achieved it for them. The dense sound on this CD, like it or not, is intentional.

The issue of overall disc length is a non-issue to my mind. Would I prefer 60 minutes of Nevermore to 40 minutes of Nevermore? Of course. Would I prefer 60 minutes of 99.99% of the bands in music today to 30 seconds of Nevermore? No. Music is about quality, not quantity. Hell, Metallica's new CD goes on forever.

Lastly, we come to the issue of song quality. Personally, I think this CD caught many by surprised. Judging by the negative reviews, it would seem that these reviewers were expecting "Dead Heart in a Dead World Part II". Why… I couldn't say. Nevermore has never released a disc that sounded anything like its predecessor. So why folks seem to be taken back by how different this CD sounds from Nevermore's previous opus, is beyond me. And therein, I believe, lies the problem, as it often takes a while to appreciate the unexpected.

This disc starts off with the blistering title track, and relents only during moments of flawlessly executed ballads (for lack of a better term), until the pulverizing "Seed Awakening" brings this latest Nevermore masterpiece to its conclusion. The guitar work on this CD defines the often overused term “crushing”. Just listen to the shear power of Loomis’ guitar on “Ambivalent” or on “I, Voyager”. Few, if any, are capable of destroying all that lies in its musical wake like Nevermore. And on “Enemies of Reality”, that destructive power is on full display.

Warrell, as always, sounds fantastic. His clean, emotive vocals playing against the chaotic, near Death Metal style riffing of Jeff’s guitar. Lyrically, few are on par with Warrell. It’s lines like “Heroes and rapist, they all have nice faces” that allow Nevermore to slow the pace musically, without ever giving way to a lack of intensity.

This disc is everything one should expect of Nevermore; Loomis' technical shredding, Van's brilliant drumming, and Warrell's deliciously delivered rantings. All are present here, and all are to the quality I've come to expect from this band, which is still the best on planet. Nevermore continue to reinvent themselves, without ever changing their essence and without ever giving in to what’s expected.

GZ
JosephC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Nevermore - Enemies of Complacency Reply with quote

I haven't gotten to hear the Nevermore yet because I've been so busy with other projects I just haven't had the time to listen to CDs lately. So this comment has nothing to do with Nevermore or their new release.

One of GZ's comments I really like is about a CDs running length. I rarely like CDs with 60 minute running lengths. There is nothing worse than "CDs that go on forrevvverrrrr." Give me the best 40 minutes of music, not 40 minutes of good music and 20 minutes of filler. Sure, there are some 60 minute CDs that are great all the way through. But personally, I think about 80% of longer CDs have way too much filler in them.

And yeah, I'm really looking forward to picking up the Nevermore, Arch Enemy, Iron Maiden, Dimmu Borgir...and a bunch of other new CDs. But first I have to listen to the half-dozen CDs sitting on my shelf (Beseech, Source of Tide, Sinergy, Skyfire, etc) before I am going to buy some new discs. I'm way behind.
Ug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - Enemies of Complacency Reply with quote

Actually I like the rough production, it gives the album a distinct "f [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ck you" attitude. My only complaint is the lenght of the album, while it may not be "Dead Heart..."(and I wasn't expecting to come up with one), "Enemies.." will definitely end up as one of my 2003's top five albums. At the moment it's still Apocalytica.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - Enemies of Complacency Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JosephC:

One of GZ's comments I really like is about a CDs running length. I rarely like CDs with 60 minute running lengths. There is nothing worse than "CDs that go on forrevvverrrrr." Give me the best 40 minutes of music, not 40 minutes of good music and 20 minutes of filler. Sure, there are some 60 minute CDs that are great all the way through. But personally, I think about 80% of longer CDs have way too much filler in them.

I disagree, a good album is good independently of the lenght. Sadly a lost of good albums came short, like Amorphis "Far From The Sun", when I'm beginning to warm up...it finishes! Skyclad - "Prince Of The Poverty Line" comes eternal for me at > 60 mins, but Sinergy - "Suicide By My Side" does the same at ~ 35 mins. Dream Theater - "Metropolis pt2:Scenes From A Memory" at 77 mins is great from head to toes.

If I had my way all albums should be 47 mins by law [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] , but in the meantime and considering the cost of a CD these days I rather have more music for my money.
Wurm666

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - Enemies of Complacency Reply with quote

Actually, I read an interview with Warrel in Metal Maniacs or some other such magazine that I recall said that the production was not to their satisfaction.
woosta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - Enemies of Complacency Reply with quote

I don't know how long the cd was, but it couldn't have ended fast enough for me. The production made this cd totally unlistenable. Intentional or not (and why in the hell would you make a muddy sound like this is beyond me) you can't hear anything except a blur of noise. At this stage in their career this is the LAST type of cd Nevermore needed to make. Contemporaries such as In Flames, Arch Enemy, and Lacuna Coil are making leaps and bounds in both song quality and sound quality and they're being rewarded with big tours and merchandising at places such as Hot Topic. Nevermore took 2 steps back on this cd and it's too hard to take the steps forward to allow this debacle to happen.
rockin500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - Enemies of Complacency Reply with quote

hmm. i just got this disc in the mail the other day and finally got to hear it today. I prefer Dead Heart... over this CD. Its not that bad, and i like 7 of the songs on the CD. I wish the production had sounded a bit cleaner at tiems, but oh well.

A little short for my taste, usually, but it sounds like they couldnt do much more than they did and still make a good overall album.

not a bad cd, but not as good as i was hoping.
General Zod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - Enemies of Complacency Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by woosta:
Contemporaries such as In Flames, Arch Enemy, and Lacuna Coil are making leaps and bounds in both song quality and sound quality and they're being rewarded with big tours and merchandising at places such as Hot Topic.

The bands you mentioned are being rewarded for things other than song quality. In Flames is being rewarded for selling out. Call it what you will; experimentation, growth, expanding their musical horizons... cough, cough, bullshit. In Flames sold out. Plain and simple. If you're an In Flames fan you can try to spin it any way you like. But when all is said and done, In Flames is cashing in, or at least trying to. As for Lacuna Coil, they've managed to attract a crossover Goth element, with is why they're enjoying the sucess they are. Arch Enemy added a knock out lead singer, who in being a woman is also a novelty. That's not to knock Arch Enemy, but let's not be naive and suggest that much of their newfound success isn't due to Angela's covergirl looks and a simplified musical appoach. And regardless of all of that, Nevermore still outdraws and outsells ("Enemies of Reality" was #17 in it's 1st week on the independent Billboard chart) Arch Enemy and Lacuna Coil.

If Nevermore was interested in being corporate whores, they should not have made this disc. But unlike In Flames, Nevermore does not write music whose sole purpose is to garner them a spot at the next Ozzfest.

GZ
woosta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - Enemies of Complacency Reply with quote

Where is this In Flames "sell out" that everyone loves to discuss? Anyone who can't hear a progression over their cds hasn't been listening. It's not like a Metallica "Black" to "Load" thing. In Flames isn't selling out, they're just selling.

And I think it's beyond disrespectful to attribute Arch Enemy's success to a singer's looks. Hell, nobody in the ****ing USA SEES her! How can it be that her "looks" sell them? ANd it's not exactly a novelty to have a female lead singer these days. There's been Kittie, Lacuna, Lullacry, hell there was even Lita Ford, girlschool and Rock goddess YEARS ago.

The bottom line is that these bands are using production, songs and relevence to move themselves forward. And while Nevermore may be ahead in the numbers game right now (don't forget, the bands I've mentioned have been out for months now) with an effort like they've just put out, they'll drop like lead while Arch Enemy picks up sales from the Slayer tour. Lacuna will pick up from the Type O tour and In Flames..well, they get every tour. Being a fan is great but being a fan in denial will prevent your band from progressing to where they should be; and we all know that they were supposed to be in the league of the aforementioned bands. But they're not and they won't if they keep plodding through distortion like that on "Enemies".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: