HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dimmu Borgir/Children of Bodom/Nevermore/Hypocrisy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Dimmu Borgir/Children of Bodom/Nevermore/Hypocrisy Reply with quote

This tour rolls in to Mass, next week and I am curious to know who the headliners sound like (if anyone at all). I know [b]Hypocrisy[/b] and am not overly thrilled with their sound. I know [b]Nevermore[/b] and have seen them once before and they blew me away. They are the main reason I'm thinking about attending this show. I have not heard either [b]Dimmu Borgir[/b] or [b]Children of Bodom[/b] before and am curious of their sound. I want to see the show but am sad that Warrel and company will only have a half hour or so set.

Can anyone offer a link to mp3 samples of [b]Dimmu Borgir[/b] and [b]Children of Bodom[/b] to at least give me a heads-up of what to expect if I go?
Paul G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Dimmu Borgir/Children of Bodom/Nevermore/Hypocrisy Reply with quote

you can visit their websites, I'm shocked that you don't know these bands, 2 of the biggest underground groups in the world with Dimmu starting to break into the mainstream, check em out.

Children of Bodom - mixture of Euro power metal with Swedish death metal, solid guitar playing, lots of keyboards for emphasis, growled vocals.

Dimmu Borgir - commercial black metal, similar to Cradle of Filth but much better imo due to not having Dani Filth on vocals. Heavy on the imagery.
JosephC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Dimmu Borgir/Children of Bodom/Nevermore/Hypocrisy Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G:
you can visit their websites, I'm shocked that you don't know these bands, 2 of the biggest underground groups in the world with Dimmu starting to break into the mainstream, check em out.

Children of Bodom - mixture of Euro power metal with Swedish death metal, solid guitar playing, lots of keyboards for emphasis, growled vocals.

Dimmu Borgir - commercial black metal, similar to Cradle of Filth but much better imo due to not having Dani Filth on vocals. Heavy on the imagery.

I would say those descriptions are pretty accurate. To me Children of Bodom is euro power metal but with death vocals. The riffs aren't as melodic as most of the Swedish bands, but instead they insert solos and fills...more like typical Euro power metal.

Dimmu Borgir is very much like Cradle of Filth. Most black metal fans would say that Dimmu Borgir aren't really black metal, but in my opinion they are (only difference in my opinion is that Dimmu Borgir will spend more than $10 to record an album unlike most black metal bands). Basically they play the same epic, symphonic black metal that Cradle of Filth does, but the vocals are far less extreme. Dimmu Borgir does have one of the best drummers in the world, Nick Barker (ex-Cradle of Filth), but unfortunately he was under-utilized on their last CD.

This show is in Wisconsin on the 9th and I was definitely going to go but now I'm not sure. I really dislike the new Dimmu Borgir CD and am slightly disappointed in the Nevermore CD. I have about a 1.5 hour drive and can't find anyone to go with. Also, the Barenaked Ladies are playing in the same venue on the same night so it's going to be a hassle getting down there, getting parked and getting out of there when the show is done. And then there is always the possibility of Wisconsin weather in December. It will probably be a last second decision if I go or not.
SGR_32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Dimmu Borgir/Children of Bodom/Nevermore/Hypocrisy Reply with quote

I seen this show sunday night here in Seattle, and it did sell out. and It didnt disapoint in the slightest.
Hypocracy will to be honest i didnt pay much attention, was hitting on some chick (i did get her number and email by the way)
Children of Bodom was awsome. Second time ive seen them, i seen them at milwaukee metalfest a few years ago. one of my favorate bands of the last 5 to 7 years or so.
Nevermore came home and was incredable, this was about the 5th time ive seen them. and to be honest they have always been hit and miss live.
But sunday night they were intense and well worth the time.
And Dimmu was simply amazing. They were better this time then in 2001 when i seen them the first time. A bigger stage and more room to move around helped alot i feel. A great selection of songs
although i would have liked to hear a bit more of there older cd's. I love this band, i have since first hearing them back in 96. And in my mind and my opinion they are the best at what they do.
I do consider them to be Black metal. Just a bit more talented then most other Black metal bands.
Ive seen Mayhem, Immortal,Cradle of Filth,Naglfar
and many others. but Live none of them compare to Dimmu.Immortal came close, and seeing Mayhem live was a dream come true. When i seen CoF Danni had just kicked out like half the band (again) and it was the first live performance for some of them in the band. so they were a bit off when i seen them.

Dimmu Borgir is a show that is well worth the drive up and back. My drive is two hours up and back.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Dimmu Borgir/Children of Bodom/Nevermore/Hypocrisy Reply with quote

Icarus,

Just in case there was any confusion, the bands take the stage in following order:

1st - Hypocrisy
2nd - Children
3rd - Nevermore
4th - Dimmu (Headliner)

As for Children of Bodom, they are essentially Swedish Death Metal, but played with more technicality than any of their genre-mates. The guitar player and keyboard player play off of each other in a fashion similar to what Romeo and Pinella do in Symphony X, though not quite to that level. They use almost all Death vocals, but they are very well done. Their songs are very catchy, given how heavy they are, and they are a superb live act.

Though I am not a huge fan of Black Metal, I do like Dimmu. Though some will argue that Dimmu isn't true Black Metal. Regardless, they are really good musicians, have some killer riffs, and have about as much stage presence as anyone. Even if you don't care for their music, you'd probably get a charge out of taking in their performance and the crowd's reaction to it.

This bill has been selling out everywhere it goes. So, if you intend on going, get your tickets soon. There were a lot of disappointed folks at the Philly show who thought they'd be able to pick up tickets the night of.

GZ
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Dimmu Borgir/Children of Bodom/Nevermore/Hypocrisy Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I was able to obtain some [b]Dimmu[/b] songs and have come to the conclusion that, with my limited Black Metal knowledge, they are a less complex version of [b]Emperor[/b].

I can only take my black metal in limited doses, but from what I've read about [b]Dimmu[/b], it sounds like I'd enjoy their live show.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: