HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinion/Recommendations on these bands...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Opinion/Recommendations on these bands... Reply with quote

I know you all have probably talked about these bands a million times already, but I confess...I just don't do the boards much anymore. So, if you could rehash for me...I'd really appreciate it.

The past few days I've been listening to the Metal station on Directv, and I've really liked the [i]one[/i] song I've heard from each of these bands:

Mastodon
The Crown
My Ruin
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of Filth

What's the consensus on these bands? Is there a paticular disc you can recommend?

Thanks!!
JosephC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Opinion/Recommendations on these bands... Reply with quote

Mastodon
Don't listen to enough of these guys to comment.

The Crown
I have 4 of their CDs and would only recommend one, Deathrace King. Deathrace King is great because (at least for me) it successfully combines Swedish death metal and American thrash/power metal. Kind of like At the Gates combined with Pantera. I would recommend Deathrace King, and if you like that then try Crowned In Terror.

My Ruin
Don't listen to them enough to comment.

Dimmu Borgir
Good band but I hate their new CD. They are symphonic death metal, a lot like Cradle of Filth with less extreme vocals. The new CD loses a lot of the "epic" qualities their last couple of CDs had. I would recommend Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia to start with.

Cradle of Filth
These guys are like Dimmu Borgir but the vocals are extreme. I actually had Dusk...and Her Embrace for a year and a half and hated it, but one day 1 section of 1 song caught me and I've been hooked ever since. Even most Cradle of Filth haters will say that the band has just awesome music, but they can't get past the vocals. So if you can handle the vocals, chances are you will really dig this band. I like all their stuff, but musically most of their CDs are different. That's because it's the singer's band and the other members of the band tend to come and go in a hurry, and the singer writes 0% of the music, so generally things sound different because different guys are writing the music on each CD. Most people would probably say Cruelty and the Beast is their finest work, I may or may not agree with that but I would say it's a good place to start. Cradle of Filth are cool because their CDs have this horror, epic feel to them and they are really well written from a lyrical and musical point of view. I'm just curious, you have any memory of the title of the song you heard?
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Opinion/Recommendations on these bands... Reply with quote

I agree with all the above - I didn't like Mastodon's [i]Remission[/i] but it gets a lot of love. As for the My Ruin - I reccommend you run away.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Opinion/Recommendations on these bands... Reply with quote

quote:
Mastodon
Have their Remission cd,and it wasn't really my cup of tea. They're basically death metal with loads of different influences.

quote:
The Crown
Verrry fast melodic death with thrash influences. I have Crowned In Terror and was pretty impressed with it.

quote:

Dimmu Borgir

DB are The Black Metal World Champions right now. Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia and Death Cult Armageddon( their latest)are must haves for anyone who is even remotely curious about black metal.
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Opinion/Recommendations on these bands... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JosephC:
I'm just curious, you have any memory of the title of the song you heard?

The song I heard on Directv was from Lovecraft & Witchhearts but I don't know the song...and after further thought, I think a saw a video on the Ball that I liked too...I'd assume it was probably from the latest?

Thanks guys! I only heard one song from each, and sometimes that's the only good song a band does! I'm getting tired of spending $$ on cd's that have one good song on them. I've been playing Poker lately and jammin the metal station, and every once in a while I hear something on there that makes me get up and see who it is. I remember some of the bands, but the details are usually sketchy. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Opinion/Recommendations on these bands... Reply with quote

I'd also concur with JoeC's comments. And I would also recommend that you start with Dimmu's PEM CD. However, I like the new one a bit more than he does.

GZ
JosephC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Opinion/Recommendations on these bands... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hippyblood:
quote:
Originally posted by JosephC:
I'm just curious, you have any memory of the title of the song you heard?

The song I heard on Directv was from Lovecraft & Witchhearts but I don't know the song...and after further thought, I think a saw a video on the Ball that I liked too...I'd assume it was probably from the latest?

Thanks guys! I only heard one song from each, and sometimes that's the only good song a band does! I'm getting tired of spending $$ on cd's that have one good song on them. I've been playing Poker lately and jammin the metal station, and every once in a while I hear something on there that makes me get up and see who it is. I remember some of the bands, but the details are usually sketchy. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Lovecraft and Witchhearts is actually a 2 CD set, the first disc being a "best of" and the second disc being a bunch of covers/b-side material. If you saw a video that would probably be from the newest CD, Damnation and a Day (they have had at least 4 other videos from other releases). If I was to recommend anything from them I would still say Cruelty and the Beast. If you heard two tracks and the vocals didn't turn you off, chances are you will like this band a lot.
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Opinion/Recommendations on these bands... Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. I guess I'll start with the Cruelty disc then.
I got a $50 gift card from work (woo hoo!) and I figured I'd pick up a few discs...it's been awhile. I didn't mention these bands, Life Beyond & Orodruin because I had my doubts anyone here listens to that stuff, but I think I'm going to get those too. Sadly, that probably only leaves one more disc I can get for $50...maybe two if I'm lucky. I need some good heavy stuff as I've been seriously O.D.-ing on Doom & Stoner (yet I'm picking up those two doom discs, go figure).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: