HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Romantic Metalhead
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

A lot of metal is still romantic, in the literary sense. Metal is that is grandiose and emotional and sings of adventure = romantic.

What you miss isn't romanticism, it's chick appeal. Which I don't miss, though it does crop up from time to time and I don't always dislike it when it does.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:

What you miss isn't romanticism, it's chick appeal.

Not exactly. What I remember is not so much the fact that bands were writing music that girls would like, but that they were often also writings songs about the relationships girls and guys have. I liked the fact that some girls would be into the music, but moreso I liked the fact that the music was relatable to things I felt were going on in my life as far as relationships with girls went. I like to think that this is what the more sensible girls were liking too, although I know especially in highschool it was more about the pop aspect and thinking guys in bands were hot.

Know what I mean? I'm just on a "missing the music of the '80s" binge lately, so maybe that's my problem. :-)
Paul G

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

today's metal is an instant woman repellant, great if you don't want a second date play her some Darkthrone or something and tell her how beautiful you think the music is...faster than you can blink adios, then again playing Warrant would repel me...
Ug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

I think you miss songs like "Goodbye to Romance" and "Every Rose Has Its Thorns". I don't think you will get songs like these today (except the pop bands).
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

If I had to compromise my true metal for any chick, then I'm a loser.

BTW all metal girls I know don't like my metal because is too lame they prefer black or death.

And today are much better romantic metal songs that those by glam bands:

Spock's Beard - 'Goodbye To Yesterday'
Transatlantic - 'We All Need Some Light'
Motorhead - 'Lost In The Ozone'
Alice Cooper - 'Love Should Never Be Like This'
Deep Purple - 'I Got Your Number'
Praying Mantis - 'Naked'
Taraxacum - 'Dark Sunglasses'
Majesty - 'Aria Of Bravery'
Lacuna Coil - 'To Myself I Turn'
Power Symphony - 'Song Of Man'
Ayreon - 'Valley Of The Queens'

Almost everything by Lana Lane.

Etc.
Rockangel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

I was and am perfectly happy with Iron Maiden... or Dio... or WASP... or...

Though I do know what you mean. I was always more into the music that how the guy in the band looked. The only posters on my bedroom walls were Eddie... and I don't mean Van Halen. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Never had a problem getting the kinda guy I liked.

Now I must admit this "nu- metal" is a turn off. But I wouldn't say kiss off if a guy played me some Iced Earth on the way to the movies. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Mijarra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

I take myself back to the mid and late '80s when metal bands ruled the earth. The genre that many now call hair metal (then simply known as metal or hard rock) was big, and other bands like Priest and Maiden was still going strong.

There seems to be 2 schools of though within metal, one being that the only real metal is scary metal, and the other more '80s idea being that metal and girls/sex are vital to each other. Therefore, while I try not to sound like a wuss, I ask you: Is the ability to connect with "the ladies" (#2) something you miss in todays metal?

This about it: Flying down the highway in your car with a hot chick in your car with Warrant on the stereo makes for a fine summer day.

Flying down the same highway with the same girl with The Haunted blasting would probably NOT get you a second date and is a surreal scene to say the least.

Granted, there are girls around that are cool enough to appreciate the heavier bands, but they are few and far between.

So there it is, weigh in with your opinion. Do you miss the days when there were bands that had a somewhat romantic vibe to them, or are you happy with scary angry metal that keeps the girls away?
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

Thin Lizzy and UFO have both made some of the most romantic metal ever.As for the new breed,Sentenced and Lullacry each do darkly romantic things within the metal genre.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mijarra:
Not exactly. What I remember is not so much the fact that bands were writing music that girls would like, but that they were often also writings songs about the relationships girls and guys have. I liked the fact that some girls would be into the music, but moreso I liked the fact that the music was relatable to things I felt were going on in my life as far as relationships with girls went. I like to think that this is what the more sensible girls were liking too, although I know especially in highschool it was more about the pop aspect and thinking guys in bands were hot.

You know, I could never really relate to that at that age...chick-pariah as I was until I turned 18. Then my tastes in metal got a lot more lovey-dovey for a while, for which I blame an overabundance of naive, clueless happiness. Most relationship-oriented songs I can think of from all those party-metal bands are incredibly naive - innocent maybe, something I appreciate somewhat but it's been a long time since I saw it as a virtue. The 80's were a very innocent time for hr/hm, and I can see why that is looked back on fondly by many.

But some things never change. If you wanted to play even some accessible stuff like Sentenced in your car, the girl in the passenger seat would probably rummage around for a Pink CD. And in those days, the girl listening to Warrant in your car with you probably tried to fast-forward to "Heaven".

quote:

Know what I mean? I'm just on a "missing the music of the '80s" binge lately, so maybe that's my problem. :-)

Heh...I repeat, it's your youth you miss, grandpa. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: