HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Romantic Metalhead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
Heh...I repeat, it's your youth you miss, grandpa. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] [/QB]

Oh man, you sound the like the nu-metal kids! "The '80s are over! Deal with it, man!" [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Maybe you're right, but I hold to the idea that IF there was something out there that resembled the music of days gone by it would fill a void that would make a lot of people happy...like me.

And it's not even about wussy metal versus argry metal of today. For example, people like Dio were "real metal" musicians who were putting out music that had the "vibe" I'm talking about (Rock and Roll Children, Hungry for Heaven, etc) . Dio isn't wussy.

I guess, even though I loved the thrash scene, the death metal bands, and now todays more power metal melodic bands, the greatest metal to me will always be the music that was about loud guitars, shredding (both jeans and guitars), and a lot of fun. Maybe it's out of style or whatever, but I still think there are people who loved it and want to see it back.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mijarra:
Oh man, you sound the like the nu-metal kids! "The '80s are over! Deal with it, man!" [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Maybe you're right, but I hold to the idea that IF there was something out there that resembled the music of days gone by it would fill a void that would make a lot of people happy...like me.

And it's not even about wussy metal versus argry metal of today. For example, people like Dio were "real metal" musicians who were putting out music that had the "vibe" I'm talking about (Rock and Roll Children, Hungry for Heaven, etc) . Dio isn't wussy.

I guess, even though I loved the thrash scene, the death metal bands, and now todays more power metal melodic bands, the greatest metal to me will always be the music that was about loud guitars, shredding (both jeans and guitars), and a lot of fun. Maybe it's out of style or whatever, but I still think there are people who loved it and want to see it back.

I dunno...maybe I just don't understand what it is you're missing. Metal has branched off in so many different directions since then, that anything musical you miss about the old days is, I guarantee, being made out there somewhere right now.
The Dorf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

I think most women these days look at bands like Creed and Nickelback as being romantic metal. The masses call them metal/hard rock, but they're really not that heavy, plus most of their lyrics are a bunch of philisophical crap, and the chicks really seem to go for that. Of course, listening to Creed is about as interesting to me as watching grass grow.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
I dunno...maybe I just don't understand what it is you're missing. Metal has branched off in so many different directions since then, that anything musical you miss about the old days is, I guarantee, being made out there somewhere right now.[/QB]

Well, maybe, you know a lot more bands than I do. For example, what bands would you say today are similar musically to Dio, Skid Row, or Motley Crue? Or even Ozzy? If there is I have not heard them. Everything is either prog or power or euro death, or black metal or this metal or that metal. Nobody just straps on a guitar, turns the Marshall up to 10, and kicks a$$. What band today do you think is making music similar to old Van Halen? Or Dokken? Maybe those bands are out there, and I just don't see them. When I came to this site over 3 years ago I found it because I was looking for bands that were like the bands I used to like. I posted that in my first post and the response was pretty much "Well, metal isn't really like that anymore, but THESE bands are good...". And that's true, there IS a lot of really good metal today. I love a lot of these bands like In Flames and Nevermore, etc, but it's just not the same. I agree that there is great metal, and I like it, but as much as I try I just don't feel like it's MY metal anymore.

I want to hear the 2004 version of Rainbow in the Dark, or Rock N Roll Rebel, or even, to get back to the original topic, how about the 2004 version of I Remember You. If they are out there, please direct me to them, but I've been looking for 3 years and have come up empty.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by The Dorf:
I think most women these days look at bands like Creed and Nickelback as being romantic metal. The masses call them metal/hard rock, but they're really not that heavy, plus most of their lyrics are a bunch of philisophical crap, and the chicks really seem to go for that. Of course, listening to Creed is about as interesting to me as watching grass grow.

You know what these bands are missing that, for me anyway, makes them stop short of being something I'm interested in: they don't know how to play their freakin guitars. Take George Lynch and make him the lead guitarist in Creed and I'd be the biggest fan in the world. I like rhythm guitar but I just can't stand it when that's ALL a band does. When they do throw a solo in it's just a bunch of garbled wah crap.
Badboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

Back then I was all up for ballads and stupid lyrics, since then I've really began to hate people so NO, give them the hard stuff now.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mijarra:
[QB]Well, maybe, you know a lot more bands than I do. For example, what bands would you say today are similar musically to Dio, Skid Row, or Motley Crue? Or even Ozzy? If there is I have not heard them. Everything is either prog or power or euro death, or black metal or this metal or that metal. Nobody just straps on a guitar, turns the Marshall up to 10, and kicks a$$.

Hmmm...I have to admit man, you've got me stumped. I wasn't sure what you meant before - now I'm REALLY not sure, given that last sentence.

At any rate, I'm probably not the right guy to provide specific examples. Usually when I read such comparisons (and I do) my eye wanders in favor of news of bands pursuing less traditional styles. But, they are out there...in no small part in the form of those original musicians, maybe in their original bands, maybe not, but a lot of them are still kicking around and doing their sometimes considerable best.

There was a 2003 version of "I Remember You", you know. It was done pop-punk style, which I think says a lot of what kind of music is largely made today to fill the simple loud guitar bill you describe. I wouldn't say it's better, but it sounds to me like it's in more of the same spirit than its practitioners (and detractors) would ever like to admit.

Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles has an often-lamented section called "Rock In A Hard Place" which almost exclusively covers 80's-style hard rock. It's lamented because many readers of that magazine are guys like me. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] But it's still there, still getting its space in the magazine and will be for the forseeable future. It may be of some assistance for you.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

quote:
Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles has an often-lamented section called "Rock In A Hard Place" which almost exclusively covers 80's-style hard rock. It's lamented because many readers of that magazine are guys like me
I like it.
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: The Romantic Metalhead Reply with quote

Metal started back in the late 60's,70's, & ever since had songs about a woman or women in general. I think to many people forget this or don't really have a good working knowledge of this era. Most of the songs were sex derived "Whole Lota Love," "Foxy Lady," "Catch Scratch Fever," speaking of carnivorous love songs how about Nugent's "Stranglehold?" Wuss rock, no! How about Alice Cooper's lust lament to a dead woman "Cold Ethyl?" There are so many more. Then there were the two great ballads of women, "Stairway to Heavan" & "Dream On." These were the archtype originals. The big difference between this era & say hairbands is the quality of the music, most hairbands can not compete, plus their ballads were getting a little sappy, I agree. But there was other great alternatives in the 80's, King's X, Ragin' Slab, Janes Addiction, Living Colour to name a few. Also the grunge movement. Soundgargen's "Big Dumb Sex," never a more to the point song evermade, sexually.

Some of the greatest metal out there is inspired by women or at least the male of the species sex drive, then again is that not how rock started. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: