HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Grammys and Best Metal Performance, Who Really Should Ha
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: The Grammys and Best Metal Performance, Who Really Should Ha Reply with quote

Yeah,the nominees sucked as usual. So,with that in mind,who would YOU have nominated and had win the Grammy for Best Metal Performance?
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: The Grammys and Best Metal Performance, Who Really Should Ha Reply with quote

From what I recall - and it's been a [i]long[/i] time since I've paid attention to the Grammies - songs and albums compete against each other. That first year Metallica won, they won for their crappily-recorded cover of "Stone Cold Crazy", and they were up against four full-length albums, most of which were the best of those bands' careers (Rust In Peace, Painkiller, Lights...Camera...Revolution, and Persistence Of Time). (yeah, those, I remember well.)

I'm not sure how strictly American these awards are though. I know Brits get nominated, but aren't they signed to American record companies?
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: The Grammys and Best Metal Performance, Who Really Should Ha Reply with quote

Never paid much attention to the "Grammy's, nor did I ever really care, but I watch "The Oscars." Go "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King!" [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
JosephC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: The Grammys and Best Metal Performance, Who Really Should Ha Reply with quote

If I were to nominate five, I'd pick the following. This is definitely not my top 5 favorites for the year, but CDs that I felt were of high quality and were innovative enough to just kind of stand out.

Apocalyptica-Reflections
They just keep on getting better and better and they completely defy everything in regards to how the general public views the genre.

Cradle of Filth-Damnation and a Day
Hey, it was a real metal band that actually got a CD released on a major label in the USA. Of course that didn't last long....

Green Carnation-A Blessing In Disguise
Real good CD that somehow seemed to blend modern doom with 70's rock...but doesn't sound like Black Sabbath. Great CD that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves.

Opeth-Damnation
Death metal...no distortion...enough said.

?
The fifth one is tough. I'd probably say Iron Maiden-Dance of Death simply as a "lifetime achievement" type of award. If not, I'd probably say Draconian-Where Lovers Mourn but I may be currently biased because I've been listening to that a lot (2 months from now I'd probably pick a different CD).
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: The Grammys and Best Metal Performance, Who Really Should Ha Reply with quote

Keep in mind that you have to pick songs,not entire albums. Best Metal Peformance is for songs only.
chrisbjackson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: The Grammys and Best Metal Performance, Who Really Should Ha Reply with quote

The five nominees should try to run the spectrum of metal's genres, as well as can be covered in five slots. The most glaring thing about the Grammy nods is that they pretty much ignored anything outside of American nu-metal you'd hear at Ozzfest. How about:

Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
King Diamond - The Puppet Master
Opeth - Damnation

Or something like that, maybe swap a power metal band in there somewhere if Maiden isn't enough. People would still complain about [i]this[/i] list because that's the way lists go, but at least this would be more like the Oscars where even if the winner wasn't quite the very best, people would care enough to pay attention because the academy seems to have a clue.

edit: oh wait, is it for songs and not albums? Oh who cares, metal is more album-driven anyway so picking by one song doesn't seem right to me.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: The Grammys and Best Metal Performance, Who Really Should Ha Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
Keep in mind that you have to pick songs,not entire albums. Best Metal Peformance is for songs only.

Is that how it works now? It's not how it worked when the category was new.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: The Grammys and Best Metal Performance, Who Really Should Ha Reply with quote

Dreams are...anyway.

Tarot - 'From The Shadows'
Amorphis - 'Killing Goodness'
Taraxacum - 'Dark Sunglasses'
Masterplan - 'Enlighten Me'
Cryonic Temple - 'Swords & Diamonds'
Metal1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: The Grammys and Best Metal Performance, Who Really Should Ha Reply with quote

Spinal Tap - Break Like the Wind
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: