HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"When Metal Ruled the World"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockangel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
If anything, this show really reminded me of the scene that went with the music. I remember the music fondly, but sometimes I forget the social backdrop that it was played upon in the '80s. It seems unlikely we will ever see anything like it again.

I agree I think it was pretty fun. I remember meeting Motorhead outside the Roxy. They were not playing, but there to see another band. I guess that was cool. Back then you stood an even chance of just "bumping" into metal bands and getting to "hang" with them however briefly than you do now. To us fans it felt like our worlds weren't so seperated then. That rock star world mixed more often with the fans than it does now. Ya know what I mean? Like no matter how high they climbed they were still some how "one of us" too. Just a fan of metal.

It's not like that now. Once they are famous you have to stand in line for 5 hours just have then never look up at you sign your damn cd and move on to the next. Sad that.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rockangel:
quote:
If anything, this show really reminded me of the scene that went with the music. I remember the music fondly, but sometimes I forget the social backdrop that it was played upon in the '80s. It seems unlikely we will ever see anything like it again.

I agree I think it was pretty fun. I remember meeting Motorhead outside the Roxy. They were not playing, but there to see another band. I guess that was cool. Back then you stood an even chance of just "bumping" into metal bands and getting to "hang" with them however briefly than you do now. To us fans it felt like our worlds weren't so seperated then. That rock star world mixed more often with the fans than it does now. Ya know what I mean? Like no matter how high they climbed they were still some how "one of us" too. Just a fan of metal.

It's not like that now. Once they are famous you have to stand in line for 5 hours just have then never look up at you sign your damn cd and move on to the next. Sad that.

Yeah, but on the flipside, barely any of them ever become famous on that scale anymore...
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JosephC:
The hair metal scene kind of fully hit stride in probably 1986/1987.

Motley Crue sold out arenas.
Poison sold out arenas.
Ratt sold out arenas.
Cinderella sold out arenas.
Warrant sold out arenas.
Def Leppard sold out arenas.
Bon Jovi sold out arenas, even if you don't consider them "metal," every metal magazine covered them at the time.

And then of course their are a bunch more older and established artists that wandered into "hair metal" territory and sold out arenas. Put the likes of Whitesnake, Alice Cooper and the Scorpions on that list. If you didn't like Def Leppard on the above list then you can put them in this list.

Very good JosephC!

live4metal:

As you know all things go in cycles. In the 70's metal was more of a stronghold regionaly than nationally here in America. Sure there were exceptions like Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, BOC, but even many of these bands were not taken seriously by critics at the time. It was the 80's that broke everything wide open. Metal became accepted universally & whether we like it or not the hair bands were responsible for that. Maybe most of them were so bad that it made the rest of the metal acts stand in bold relieve. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

80's was the golden era of metal.

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Tank
Avenger
Jaguar
Bliztkrieg
Satan
Hawk
Gargoyle
Culprit
Armored Saint
Coroner
Metallica
Megadeth
Black Knight
Rainbow
Thin Lizzy
Black Sabbath
H-Bomb
Sortilege
Blaspheme
Scorpions
Warlord
Testament
Nazareth
Pariah

Glam (hair) metal was like grunge and mallcore, just a marketing excuse to cover the reality.
Metal always rule, real metal!
nitro4040

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:

Poison sold out arenas.
Ratt sold out arenas.
Warrant sold out arenas.
Bon Jovi sold out arenas, even if you don't consider them "metal," every metal magazine covered them at the time.

And then of course their are a bunch more older and established artists that wandered into "hair metal" territory and sold out arenas. Put the likes of Whitesnake, Alice Cooper and the Scorpions on that list. If you didn't like Def Leppard on the above list then you can put them in this list.

Well, you kinda make my point. "Hair Bands" after 1985. I guess we want to ignore the first half of the decade. Anyway. All the bands you listed, opened for harder, heavier bands prior to headlining arenas on their own and they only did so in the very late 80's. By the late 80's thrash bands were also headlining arenas. And by the time the bands you listed were headlining, real metalheads thought they all sucked.
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by nitro4040:
quote:

Poison sold out arenas.
Ratt sold out arenas.
Warrant sold out arenas.

Well, you kinda make my point. "Hair Bands" after 1985. I guess we want to ignore the first half of the decade. Anyway. All the bands you listed, opened for harder, heavier bands prior to headlining arenas on their own and they only did so in the very late 80's. By the late 80's thrash bands were also headlining arenas. And by the time the bands you listed were headlining, real metalheads thought they all sucked.
All bands started in a bar & then maybe 100 out of 5,000 got a chance to open in a big venue & maybe 10 out of those 5,000 became legit headliners. These "Hair Bands" bands filled up a good half of the 80's & out sold the competition by many times over. The late 70's to mid 80's were filled with post punk/new wave bands. They hardly qualify as metal. So considering this "Hair Bands" were the perdominant heavy metal of the 80's.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jim McCormick:
quote:
Originally posted by nitro4040:
quote:

Poison sold out arenas.
Ratt sold out arenas.
Warrant sold out arenas.

All bands started in a bar & then maybe 100 out of 5,000 got a chance to open in a big venue & maybe 10 out of those 5,000 became legit headliners. These "Hair Bands" bands filled up a good half of the 80's & out sold the competition by many times over. The late 70's to mid 80's were filled with post punk/new wave bands. They hardly qualify as metal. So considering this "Hair Bands" were the perdominant heavy metal of the 80's.
These "hair band" weren't called that then, and were not even metal when they started selling out arenas. That is a fact.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

I don't understand some of this backlash over lighter bands. I liked them, and I liked heavier bands. I liked Poison and I liked Metallica...I liked Warrant and I liked Iron Maiden. Can't one like both?

In my high school there was no real metal crowd, so I guess I was like a closet metalhead. I wasn't governed by the same rules of coolness that dictated that people weren't allowed to like Poison if they were "real metalheads".
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mijarra:
I don't understand some of this backlash over lighter bands. I liked them, and I liked heavier bands. I liked Poison and I liked Metallica...I liked Warrant and I liked Iron Maiden. Can't one like both?

In my high school there was no real metal crowd, so I guess I was like a closet metalhead. I wasn't governed by the same rules of coolness that dictated that people weren't allowed to like Poison if they were "real metalheads".

I whole heatedly agree Mijarra. Though "Hair Bands" are not my cup of tea, nor never really have been, I never hated them & some I even liked. To be honest with my opinion, I think many people especially younger metal fans don't like "Hair Bands" because it's not considered cool, a peer pressure thing.

Now to the person above Mijarra. The term "Hair Bands" did come from the 80's & trying to change that fact will not change which bands we're speaking of. Does it really matter that much? Do you really dislike them that much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: