HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survivor - Final Round
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 4:42 am    Post subject: Survivor - Final Round Reply with quote

Only 24 members voted in Rnd#5 but like a trooper we must perceiver. The following were booted off.

1- Motorhead - 19 votes
2- Deep Purple - 19
3- UFO - 17
4- Ozzy - 16
5- AC-DC - 15

The following five are left - you pick the winner and explain why (if you want).

1- Helloween
2- DIO
3- Black Sabbath
4- Iron Maiden
5- Judas Priest

MetalLurch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 6:49 am    Post subject: Survivor - Final Round Reply with quote

I'll go with #4 - Iron Maiden. Helloween are good and I'm surprised they made it this far, but if I had to choose between listening to them or IM, IM would get the nod. Sabbath were certainly pioneers but that's not good enough for me to pick them. Dio has had his moments, maybe he still does since I haven't heard enough of anything new by him to make a decision. Judas Priest had too long of a "sucks" period for me to consider them the final winner. Like Sabbath, Priest got the attention of a lot of budding metalheads, but the past is not going to sway my vote. So Maiden, with a decent comeback AND a strong history get the nod.
samsalt1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 7:34 am    Post subject: Survivor - Final Round Reply with quote

HELLOWEEN- this band has it all. they have adapted and changed with the times unlike anyone. walls of jericho is still, to me, the greatest speed metal album ever. following that up with keepers 1 & 2, perhaps 2 of the greatest albums ever. i will admit that chameleon was terrible but no worse than x factor or turbo. now, starting with master of the rings, helloween is finding its way back to the top of the metal world.
thier sound, while heavily influenced by maiden, has influenced so many of the 90`s metal bands. what comes around goes around.
while maiden, priest, sabbath, and dio are all worthy of victory, helloween gets my vote.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 8:42 am    Post subject: Survivor - Final Round Reply with quote

SABBATH...the choice seems obvious. Every band on the list has somehow felt Sabbath's influence. Dio was a member of Sabbath; Tony Iommi managed Judas Priest back in the very early days. Bruce Dickinson cites Paranoid as one of his biggest influences. I don't know much about Helloween, but I'll bet at least one guy in that band is into Sabbath or a band influenced by Sabbath.

Sabbath came at a time when the 60's were drawing to a close. They rejected the peace-and-love mantra of the time and made music influenced by the bleakness of their everyday lives. It's enduring stuff; it's safe to say that metal as it is today would not exist were it not for Black Sabbath.

I've been out of it for awhile, but I just had to come back to say that. Bye now.
Bill_amcns

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 10:44 am    Post subject: Survivor - Final Round Reply with quote

Iron Maiden:
If I had to pick a favorite band, it would be Maiden.
They have IMO the best catalog of music out of any of these other bands. There have been times over the years that I would get stuck in an Iron Maiden "mode" and I would listen to nothing but Maiden for weeks or even months. I dont think I could do that with any other band.
I have to say Sabbath deserves credit for at least some of Iron Maidens influence but Maiden became so much more.
Back in High School, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden where my favorites and nothing else even came close. Judas Priest was #1 with me for a while, but Bruce is my favorite vocalist and Smith is my favorite guitarist....so its Maiden all the way with me.
Something Wicked

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 12:49 pm    Post subject: Survivor - Final Round Reply with quote

Iron Maiden, just because.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 1:25 pm    Post subject: Survivor - Final Round Reply with quote

Sabbath
Jake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 2:28 pm    Post subject: Survivor - Final Round Reply with quote

I didnt think this thread was so much about influence, but just the ultimate metal band, still im sure one could say that about any one of the remaining bands.

Id say this is really between Priest and Maiden on that question. Sabbath is good, but it isnt metal in its pure form, even if it was the invention of it. Helloween also is pretty pure, and im tempted to vote for them, because i think they have managed to peak their career twice, while most bands only do that once(in other words im saying they were cool as hell in the 80s and then they had a lull and now they are cool as hell again). But Helloween is not perfect, and they definitely owe alot to Priest and Maiden(and so indirectly to Sabbath as well).

I think as pure as metal gets is Judas Priest. Maiden might have the epics, the progressive songs, and the air raid siren, but Priest has the Metal God who brought leather and bikes into the equation in the first place. They had the twin guitar attack first, and while their songs may seem alot simpler than maiden's their songs have the straight to the point electric guitar sound that makes a metal album. Their duel leads are the best out of any duel lead group ive heard. i even like Priest's low points. Priest definitely. (honorable mention to Maiden of course).
Paul G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 2:55 pm    Post subject: Survivor - Final Round Reply with quote

Although it was difficult to pick the final band I decided to go with Sabbath based on the following but first.

Helloween: surprised they got this far, to be honest I always considered them a second tier metal band, the fact that I prefer Gamma Ray automatically excludes them from being #1, not even close really.

DIO: that VOICE, one if not the best heavy metal vocalist of all-time has been associated with some amazing music. 4 with Rainbow (Rising being my favorite), 4 with Sabbath (H&H/Mob Rules are awesome) & a very solid solo career for the most part, his first 4 Holy Diver/Last in Line/Sacred Heart and Dream Evil are essential, his style has remained very consistent even if his material in latter years was noticeably weaker. He is the king of fantasy based lyrics. However I can't make him #1 for one simple reason, he wasn't artistically innovative enough and didn't break down barriers.

Judas Priest: another band with a killer vocalist and some very strong to excellent albums, IMO Sad Wings/Stained Class/Hell Bent/Unleashed & British Steel are timeless examples of great British heavy metal, where I start to lose interest is when they started to Americanize their sound, Point of Entry is patchy/ Screaming & Defenders is solid but Turbo just killed them for me and they haven't recovered since, bottom line is they sold out in order to attract a larger audience, they succeeded but they lost the qualities that made them special, the Scorpions are also guilty of the same crime.

Iron Maiden: there's not much to say here except that they NEVER sold out and they always remained very close to their core sound & ethics. 8 very solid albums of music to their credit (you guess which ones), they were a staple of my youth and to this day I still get a rush out of their music. Great lyrics/musicianship/vocals, they've got the whole package plus they kick live.

Black Sabbath: my choice for #1 metal band of all-time, they took the blues and made it ugly/heavy/disturbing, they scared the crap out of people who couldn't handle the messages being sent, they were ORIGINAL and new. They unleashed, Black Sabbath/Paranoid/Master of Reality/Vol 4/Sabbath Bloody Sabbath & Sabotage before self-destructing. They rose like a phoenix out of the ashes with DIO at the helm and delivered two more masterpieces Heaven & Hell & Mob Rules. Like Maiden and the others their latter catalog is patchy BUT they laid the foundation upon which every metal band is based. Iommi (riff master supreme)/Butler (great bass player)/Ward (old school-underated and very shifty) and the madman himself OZZY. Black Sabbath is my choice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: