HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most shocking one-album direction shift?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 11:04 pm    Post subject: Most shocking one-album direction shift? Reply with quote

Not a descent into crap or a rise into godly status, but overall change in style. What bands changed so much over the course of one disc that you scarcely recognized them? (other than Ulver) (Queensryche seems easy to include too, though it seems to me that each album relates fairly well to the one before and, even if it is a big deviation, shouldn't have been entirely unpredictible)

Einherjer: _Dragons Of The North_ (semi-melodic vikingish black metal) to _Odin Owns Ye All_ (polka-ish power metal, no grind vocals at all)

Arcturus: _Aspera Hiems Symfonia_ (crackling, keyboardy black metal) to _La Masquerade Infernale_ (weirdo carnival music...but I mean that in a good way)

Alice Cooper: _DaDa_ (semi-well-executed artsy-fartsy rock) to _Constrictor_ (extremely badly executed macho hard rock)

Dangerous Toys: _Pissed_ (infectious, intense GN'R-ish hard rock) to _The R-Tist 4-Merly Known As..._ (total grunge sellout - where the hell did this come from?)

Marty Friedman: _Dragon's Kiss_ (it's on Shrapnel - that pretty much says it all) to _Scenes_ (okay, so it's still on Shrapnel. It's also New Age this time!)

Helloween: _Chameleon_ (pomp-pop all over the map) to _Master Of The Rings_ (trad power metal) (not that shocking, I guess - "return to our roots" is never shocking)

Theatre Of Tragedy: _Aegis_ (poppy goth metal) to _Musique_ (what the hell is this?)

WASP: _Still Not Black Enough_ (basically _The Crimson Idol_ without the concept) to _KFD_ (an amusingly transparent attempt to con people who've never heard of WASP into thinking they're from the Trent generation)
SGR_32

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 11:22 pm    Post subject: Most shocking one-album direction shift? Reply with quote

Danzig's first 3 albums were great, there fourth decent, but then he sacked,his totally awsome band John Christ is an amazing musician. and when tecno metal or whatever you call that 5th cd of crap.

Covanant- nexas polaras is a f**kin awsome cd
change the name to Kovanant and man im sorry but nagash messed up leaving Dimmu, cause Kovanant sucks now.

Well im my humble opinion anyway [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
brianscriv

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 12:11 am    Post subject: Most shocking one-album direction shift? Reply with quote

Black Sabbath from "Sabotage" to "Technical Ecstasy". THAT really changed. Then from "Never Say Die" to "Heaven & Hell".

Testament's "Souls of Black" to "The Ritual" then definitely from "The Ritual" to "Low".

I'd also say Sepultura "Chaos AD" to "Roots".

Megadeth "Risk" to "World Needs A Hero".

Mayhem's last album to "Grand Declaration of War" (now I dont know how a band could really change so much in just one album, definitely a risk)
Dutchrocker

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 2:22 am    Post subject: Most shocking one-album direction shift? Reply with quote

Celtic Frost
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 4:31 am    Post subject: Most shocking one-album direction shift? Reply with quote

Billy Idol.... Charmed life radio rock to Cyber Punks techno industrial.
Paul G

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 5:41 am    Post subject: Most shocking one-album direction shift? Reply with quote

Metallica - And Justice to Black/Reloads
Kiss - Love Gun/Alive 2 studioside to Dynasty
Priest - Defenders to Turbo
Van Halen - Fair Warning to Diverdown
Amorphis - Tales 1000 to Elegy
Sabbath - Sabotage to Technical Ecs
Sepultura - Chaos AD to ROOTS
samsalt1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 6:22 am    Post subject: Most shocking one-album direction shift? Reply with quote

heres a couple of easy ones that i`m surprised nobody has said:

judas priest-defenders of the faith to turbo(a great classic metal cd to a heaping pile of synthesized dog****)oops. i guess this was already mentioned and i overlooked it. i guess that shows we all agree on this one.

crimson glory-transcendence to strange and beautiful.(from a one of a kind power metal masterpiece to a soft,strange kind of rock n roll album only even slightly saved by the fact anything with midnight singing on it is worth having.) [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
Butchman

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 10:37 am    Post subject: Most shocking one-album direction shift? Reply with quote

Testament Low to Demonic was a huge musical shift. I didn't think from Practice... all the way up to Low was too much of a change.

Motley Crue S/T with Corabi to Generation Swine, Balls out metal to industrial style waannabe's.

Kiss Carnival of Souls to Psycho Circus, 90's style metal to 70's rehash.

AC/DC....just kidding!

David Lee Roth Crazy from the heat to Eat 'em and Smile. Vegas style cover songs without a guitar present to a supergroup that could outplay anyone of the era.

VH- 1984 to 5150 for obvious reasons.

Godsmack.....just kidding!

Judas Priest Ram it down to Painkiller. One sucked the other is a classic.

Lynch Mob S/T to Smoke This, What the F*ck was George thinking?!?

Zakk Wylde- Pride and Glory to Book of Shadows to Black Label Society. Southern fried Rock to Acoustic Poetic to Drunken slow grind metal.
Motorola

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 1:31 pm    Post subject: Most shocking one-album direction shift? Reply with quote

Motorhead - Iron Fist to Another Perfect Day.
Fast Eddie left and in came the talented Robbo, who added a much more melodic touch, played across what Lemmy was playing and often with a really weird guitar sound. It was a great album, but too different for most MH fans.

Saxon - Power & The Glory to Crusader.
From fine Heavy Metal (although it could not compare to Denim & Leather) to teen pop-rock. It got even worse with Rock The Nations and Destiny... Many may disagree with me here, but that's my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: