HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you offended ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
live4metal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:46 pm    Post subject: Are you offended ? Reply with quote

Are U offended when bands like Limp Bisquik and Butt Korn or even Stinkin Park are considered metal.Do you cringe and want to denounce your metal faith ? or is it good that the name or jandre ( is that Right ?)of HEAVY METAL stay out there in some form ? Whats your take on this? Is there room 4 rap & hip hop in our precios metal, a few novelty tracks from ANTHRAX maybe, but a whole damn scene devoted to it? Who would have thought it 10 years ago in the land of BIG HAIR & TRUE METAL BANDs ruled the earth.Damn Im gettin old, gotta go to bed now. Maybe some T.V. first.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:54 pm    Post subject: Are you offended ? Reply with quote

Life's too short to get offended over things like this. How much life do you think most of these bands have left in them? Even if they have lots, are they really affecting the state of "true" (don't get anybody started on this) metal out there? These bands aren't displacing Iced Earth on the charts - Iced Earth is where it is and would be there anyway regardless of these bands. Would a Limp Bizkit fan be a die-hard Nevermore fan if Limp Bizkit never existed? It's apples and oranges, even if they are often brown, squishy, worm-infected apples that say things like "fakin' all the flava".

Besides, the question of whether or not they're metal has always been the wrong question - the question should be if they are metal ENOUGH...and that question has to be asked for each band, not for a genre, and by each fan, not by a fanbase.
AZRock

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:58 am    Post subject: Are you offended ? Reply with quote

The worst part about the crappy rap rock bands is that the general public thinks they're metal. For example:

Typical Moron: "So, what kind of music do you like?"

Me (atypical moron): "METAL!!"

Typical Moron: "Oh you like Kid Rock, Limp Biskit, and Mama Roach?"

Me (after my head stops spinning around and the flames stop coming out of my ears): "Nooooo, I said metal, not ghetto!!!"

Typical Moron: "Oh you mean Metallica?"

Me: "Kill me now."

Images of Dee Snider flash through my mind yelling [b]"I WANNA ROCK"[/b] and tossing them through a window.
Raider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 10:59 am    Post subject: Are you offended ? Reply with quote

I get annoyed, and I'm usually very quick to correct the person who said it. I'm not a jerk about it (or at least I don't think I am), but I let 'em know the truth of the matter. And I never watch MTV, so I'm spared having to listen to Carson Daly or whoever the hell hosts it now calling them metal.
The Dorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:20 pm    Post subject: Are you offended ? Reply with quote

What annoys me more is the white mall kids riding around in their little Hondas and Neons blasting gangsta sh*t like Poop Dogg, Enema, and DJ Copkiller. While I'm not very fond of some of these nu-metal bands (I actually like a few songs), at least they have [i]some[/i] guitar in their songs. Old-school metal has got to make a comeback soon. This nu-metal crap can't last forever.
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:46 pm    Post subject: Are you offended ? Reply with quote

No... I'm not offended in the slightest.

The opinions of Limp Bizkit, Korn, and Kid Rock don't have meaning in my world. I could care less what they, or anyone else, thinks of metal, or the music that I listen to.

GZ
Starbreaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:27 pm    Post subject: Are you offended ? Reply with quote

The word you're looking for is spelled 'genre'...

I suppose it offends me a bit, but mainly when some of these punks think they have to badmouth traditional (for want of a better word) metal.

I seriously think that fans of that stuff have to refer to 80s stuff as 'buttrock', hair metal, or any one of a plethora of derogatory terms, in an effort to forestall any comparison of the two forms on a musical level.

IMO, the 'nu' stuff inevitably loses any such comparison.

Seems they also enjoy slamming how some 80s 'glam' rocks acts loooked...as if these current bufoons won't look ridiculous, from the perspective of ten years in the future.

So, I guess what bothers me is the current 'need' to slander the 'old school' music, by a bunch of children who were barely old enough to wipe their own asses, in the 80s. I certainly wasn't slamming (70s)Black Sabbath, or (70s)Judas Priest back then. I was rocking to it!!

-Marty
Templar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 6:43 pm    Post subject: Are you offended ? Reply with quote

That's a good point, Starbreaker. I wouldn't hate all this new crap so much (or even now-"old" crap like grunge) so much if its fans and practitioners hadn't bashed heavy metal every chance they got. In the 80s, I had respect for bands that paved the way. I mean, I hated listening to the Beatles, but I respected how they changed the face of rock and the fact that they wrote lyrics about stuff other than love, cars, or whatever else all the 50s rockers always wrote about. I remember one time I was talking to this musician in an alternative band who was slamming Judas Priest, mainly their look (he wisely didn't get into the subject of musicianship). Now, this guy's own stage presence -- he was a fat guy -- consisted of wearing blue denim overalls and thrashing wildly back and forth, while barefooted, no less. Like some fat f*cking John-Boy Walton on stage is cool, and leather-clad longhairs are not. Whatever. Or like the frontman for Green Day, who has publicly put down metal. Dude, at least Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson don't have to [i]fake[/i] their British accents to sell records.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 7:11 pm    Post subject: Are you offended ? Reply with quote

I've come to realize a few things about this nu metal thing:

1. There's absolutely nothing I can do about it, so no more freaking out and getting pissed off.

2. They WILL go away some day, probably sooner than later. I think when we are old and people think back on metal of our generation, Limp Bisquick and the like are NOT the bands that will be reckoned as the masters. It will just be a blip in the metal timeline, which brings me to...

3. These bands apparently ARE metal, because enough people say they are. Maybe these people are ignorant and wouldn't know Dio from Dokken, but there's not much we have to say about it. We are just a minority, even though it may be the more informend and "correct" minority. It's kinda like Green Day. Most people call them punk, although true punks would say they most assuredly are not. Not much we can do about it...so what, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

4. People really are sick of these bands. As the months roll by, there seems to be more and more anti-crap rock sentiment around. More and more people saying they are sick of it and miss the old metal and rock. It's just a matter of time before Fred Durst is working at a Krispy Kreme. It's a joke.

So, yeah it pissed me off when a guitar magazine a few months ago published a history of hard rock, starting with Led Zepplin and ending with Korn, but what can I do. To be honest, Nirvana pissed me off and still does more than Korn ever will. We just need to lay low and bide our time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: