HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erasing history
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 1:28 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
[B]Sturgeon's Law - 90% of everything is shit. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

In your world ... not mine. Well until the 90's came along. Then i can agree with 90% of 90s mainstream music being shit.

"Now, while I think for a lot of things that percentage can be yanked around, I can't imagine even for your beloved musical genre that literally the majority of 80's hard rock bands were...well, even just good."

Yep - i believe that over 90% of 80s rock/metal bands were at least GOOD. Accept it - somebody actually thinks that - deal with it and move on.

" I mean, forget it. You're dreamin'."

Nope - you're just a dork.

"And for all the yak you've said, for as long as I've been here, about how you're a better judge of music than anyone here because you're a musician (so you say) and we're not (so you think)"

Well - thats obvious. Non-musicians can't appreciate real talent most of the time. Thats a FACT jack.

", all I have to say is this: I guarantee you, you will never convince even a single person here that you're a better judge of music than he/she is."

I agree - and i'll never try to. I just know the truth.

" And for every attempt you make, you look more the fool."

Kind of like your opinions on 80s music. You really look like a chump.

Go back to Emperor and shut the f.uck up for once.
robetrt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 1:44 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

I dont think that there is 150 cds worth listening to, 5900? most are trash. I have maybe 60 cds I could enjoy on a day to day basis. They rest belong on 1 hit wonder cds.
I make my on--Best of Death--Best of thrash--best of rock--best of rap....
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 1:46 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

I'm trying to see how you could honestly claim that Poison has more talent than Pearl Jam. I could understand why you might like them more, but considering the 4 note riffs that made Poison catchy, I can't really say I find them to be very interesting musically. They were fun, but don't tell me now that I don't understand them because I'm not a musician. because I don't know a whole lot, but I know Poison and Kiss never had a whole lot of talent, and I'm pretty damn sure that Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden all had a fair amount more talent.
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 4:01 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by POWERMETAL&AOR:
[b]

THATS UNBELIEVABLE!! - You guys are so backwards!! One minute you call Firehouse a 'hairmetal' band and the next you don't. Same for alot of other bands...

Watch the video - then come talk to me...[/b]

No. We are consistant. We have always maintained that Firehouse was a hair-band.

That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. You are dismissing the live performances that I have actually been present for, and instead sugesting that I should watch a video of a live performance? Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, these videos are favorably edited?

GZ
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 5:21 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by haldol9001:
[b]I dont think that there is 150 cds worth listening to, 5900? most are trash. I have maybe 60 cds I could enjoy on a day to day basis. They rest belong on 1 hit wonder cds.
I make my on--Best of Death--Best of thrash--best of rock--best of rap....[/b]

You don't listen to much music then do ya?

Yeh i have 5,900 cd's and they ALL rate at least a 6.5 out of 10 otherwise i re-sell them.
If you think there have only been 150 good releases in the last 30 years then you're pretty f.ucked up.
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 5:23 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
[b]I'm trying to see how you could honestly claim that Poison has more talent than Pearl Jam. I could understand why you might like them more, but considering the 4 note riffs that made Poison catchy, I can't really say I find them to be very interesting musically. They were fun, but don't tell me now that I don't understand them because I'm not a musician. because I don't know a whole lot, but I know Poison and Kiss never had a whole lot of talent, and I'm pretty damn sure that Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden all had a fair amount more talent.[/b]

First of all - I like Poison but they were one of the worst rock bands of the 80s. I certainly enjoyed them more than the horrible Pearl Jam though. Talent-wise they are about the same.

Kiss during the 80s and 90s absolutely kills bands like STP and Soundgarden talent-wise.

Dude! Vinnie Vincent , Mark St John , Bruce Kulick , Eric Carr , Eric Singer - all those guys kill the chumps in any grunge band.
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 5:26 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

When ANY of you guys can name a 90s MAINSTREAM band with more talent than RACER X then i will personally come to your house and kiss your ass.

Firehouse totally rock. Anyone who can't see the talent in that band is deaf.

It's like saying Dokken were talentless poofters. Absolutely absurd.
Paul G

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 6:40 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

Oh - probably because you aren't a musician... that would explain EVERYTHING
==========================================

Never did, most of the 80's bunch can play rings around Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc....however playing ability isn't the sole criteria to creating great rock music, ATTITUDE can carry a band to great heights when it's sincere. I've always hated copycats and with most genres you have an elite core of 5-15 bands who push the style forward while others are playing by numbers.
Make no mistake I know great players when I hear them, hell I'm listening to Transatlantic "Bridge Across Forever" as I type this, the names Portnoy, Trewavas, Morse & Stolt should be familiar to you, not a hack to be found in that lot. If the music doesn't have heart then it means nothing to me, it's a quality that is felt, not measured by the number of notes played or the difficulty.
Desslar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 6:50 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
[b]No. We are consistant. We have always maintained that Firehouse was a hair-band.
[/b]

Anyone who uses the term "hair band (or metal)" is obviously a Limp Bisquick worshipping poseur. There is no such genre. The term is a creation of MTV's anti-metal propaganda. Sounds like more than a few of you have been taken in by it. For shame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: