HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyCat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar review Reply with quote

Saw David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar last night at PNC Arts Center in NJ. I went in not expecting much except a few beers and a good time, musically I was prepared for disaster. Well, I was wrong. David came on first opening with Hot for Teacher, and proceeded to blast through classic after classic. Its easy to miss Eddie, Alex, and Mike, but if you can put it aside and trust Dave to always find a capable lineup (which he always has) you will have a good time. Daves guitarist was very capable and nailed every riff and solo right on the money, even slipping in some jams here and there. Dave was Dave, smiling constantly, harrassing the women in the front rows, throwing whiskey on people, and doing his karate kicks. His voice sounded good and strong (I would say about 80% of 1984 era VH) and he even sang all the words. Admittedly the guy isn't 27 anymore so some of the high screams were avoided, but he still throws a few in. I really doubt Van Halen will ever reunite with Dave, but if it is to happen now is the time!!

Heres what I can remember of the setlist in no particular order:

Hot for Teacher
Runnin with the Devil
D.O.A
Mean Street
Yankee Rose
Beautiful Girls
Panama
Little Dreamer
Aint Talkin Bout Love
You Really Got Me
Atomic Punk
Oh Pretty Woman
I'm the One
Ice Cream Man
Jump
So This Is Love
Dance the Night Away

Now on to Sammy Hagar. I think I read too many reviews of this tour on the Pro David Lee Roth web boards, cause I went in thinking Sammy was going to suck. Bzzzztt!! Wrong again. Sammys band was really tight, and much harder, and louder than I would have imagined. I always liked the guy, but felt some of his hits with Van Halen were a little weak, and always liked the deeper cuts on the Van Hagar albums, stuff like Judgement Day and Amsterdam. I was pleased to hear that all the songs had a heavier sound to them live, songs that I usually didn't care for like Finish What ya Started and Dreams [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] sounded fresh and came across well live. Sammys voice has held up better than Daves and his stage presence is more like a frat brother throwing a party than Daves showmanship. Even though I'm a huge Dave fan, and feel his material is sronger overall I'm going to give the edge on this night to Sammy due to the fact that his set rocked, and the sound was loud and clear. Someone give the sound engineer a round of applause!!

What I can remember of Sammys set:

Shaka Doobie
One Way To Rock
Three Lock Box
Finish What Ya Started
Top Of The World
Runaround
Heavy Metal
Mas Tequila
Eagles Fly
When Its Love
Dreams
Why Can't This Be Love
I Can't Drive 55
Badboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar review Reply with quote

I seen both Sammy and Dave when they were with Van Halen. I though Sammy was much better, I think he has a better voice and he can also play the guitar pretty well and he was a better MC than Dave. Dave on the other hand had more energy, but he has to much flash for me.

Most people I know like David Lee Roth better, probably due to the fact that he was part of the original line up. Don't get me wrong they put out some good stuff while Dave was with them, but I thought the lyrics and the sound of Van Halen was much better with Sammy Hagar.
SkyCat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar review Reply with quote

I forgot Sammy played Best of Both Worlds, which on this night sounded better than the original VH version. Go figure..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: