HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else read the Iron Maiden biography?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 9:00 pm    Post subject: Anyone else read the Iron Maiden biography? Reply with quote

I recently finished the Biography of [b]Iron Maiden[/b],[i]run to the hills[/i].
I know I'm a few years late but I don't think I even saw the book in the U.S. until last summer.

I have this to say regarding the book:
Anyone who has read the book knows that it is already out dated because Dickinson is back in the band and Blaze is . . . well I realy don't know where Blaze is.

It was rather interesting experiencing the evolution of Maiden over the years and the many changes the band has gone through. To me this was the real deal as far as how bands form. Tough streets f.ucked up families, etc. No contrived commercial groupings, just one man with a drive to succeede and all the people who would become a part of what is one of the greatest bands of all time.

One thing that I thought was pretty interesting were the constant references to [b]Def Leppard[/b] throughout and how parallel thier paths were as far as the whole NWOBHM.

Even the whole satan worshiping labels given to the band by some of the religious groups in the U.S. was mentioned and how the band played that angle with the humorous backwards messeges they did.

Of particular interest was which bands were considered "Heavy Metal" in the late 70's and early 80's. Here were a few bands on an actual Heavy Metal Chart from a then famous club in London:
[b]Rush[/b]
[b]Van Halen[/b]
[b]Styx[/b]
[b]Heart[/b]
[b]Led Zeppelin[/b]
of course the usual bands like [b]Sabbath, Priest & Scorpions[/b] were there also.
I mention this because I know a few posts have people questioning what metal is. Well, as far as during that era in the U.K. some of those bands made some Heavy Metal music. Of course many people today wouldn't even think those bands were metal.

With the exception of the last chapter where it felt like a big advertisement for
[i]Virtual XI[/i], it was a pretty decent read.

I'm not sure if it was just because of the authors relation ship with the band but, I really came off feeling like the guys in [b]Maiden[/b] are cool down to earth dudes who obviously went through much s.hit to get to where they are now. Steve Harris obviously taking the longest path. It was great reading about the origins of Eddie and his progression with the band(I talk like Eddie was an actual person. Now I know I'm losing it) and the behind the scenes players involved with Maiden's success.

I will also say this, the title sucks. If your going to name a book using one of Maiden's songs, I don't think [i]Run To The Hills[/i] would be my first choice. To people who don't know the band the title [i]Run To The Hills[/i] sounds like it tells the story of a band who gave up and ran away. Something like [i]"Playing With Madness[/i] might have sounded cool.

Either way it was a decent read, although with an outdated ending. Check it out! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Any one else read this book? If so what's your take on it?
Dutchrocker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2001 2:43 am    Post subject: Anyone else read the Iron Maiden biography? Reply with quote

Icarus, I've read it as well and more or less agree with you on this one. There are several Maiden biographies out there. I believe one is called "infinite dreams" or "from here to eternity" or something like that. To me, the most interesting parts of those biographies are the details - like how unhappy they were with the sound of their debut album. It sounded too punky and they wanted it to be more like Deep Purple's In Rock. If you're a fan (like I am), it's definately good reading.
keifer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:29 am    Post subject: Anyone else read the Iron Maiden biography? Reply with quote

WHAT?! Zeppelin aren't heavy enough? Man, listen to Whole Lotta Love!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Stark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 6:16 am    Post subject: Anyone else read the Iron Maiden biography? Reply with quote

Hi!
FYI Blaze has got his own band Blaze that recently released their first album. It's pretty decent, even though the Blaze-period of Maiden was their absolute low.
Recently did an interview with Dave Murray and Adrian Smith - really nice blokes.
Janne
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 9:26 am    Post subject: Anyone else read the Iron Maiden biography? Reply with quote

Blaze put out his first solo album called Silicon Messiah last year and has a new one for fall 2001.

btw: SM was the best trad metal album in the past 5 years imho. [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]
edis0n

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:37 pm    Post subject: Anyone else read the Iron Maiden biography? Reply with quote

Silicon Messiah is a great album. Thats from a Blaze-Maiden era hater too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: