HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Book Of All Time/NP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Something Wicked

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 9:25 pm    Post subject: Favorite Book Of All Time/NP Reply with quote

Mine is hands down; The Hobbit

It is probably one of the greatest fantasies of all time; reading about Bilbo's epic adventure through forests and kingdoms always gives me chills.

However, the movie wasn't really that great, just kinda cheesy.

NP: Manowar - Blood Of My Enemies
brianscriv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 10:05 pm    Post subject: Favorite Book Of All Time/NP Reply with quote

Redrum, redrum!

You get the picture [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Starbreaker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 10:39 pm    Post subject: Favorite Book Of All Time/NP Reply with quote

Cripes, I have HUNDREDS of books, mostly sci-fi and fantasy (yeah, I know geek fare, but I like them)

Hard to pick just one, but one I do like is Heinlein's 'The Number of the Beast' (also the name of one damn great album) The plot of this book is about a man who builds an apparatus that can travel to other universes.

The title refers to the number of the beast interpreted as 6, to the 6th power, to the 6th power (10314424798490535546171949056) which is the theoretical number of universes, according to this book.

Sort of a cool premise.

-Marty
Stark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 12:31 am    Post subject: Favorite Book Of All Time/NP Reply with quote

"The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams, or "Good As Gold" by Joseph Heller
Butchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:03 am    Post subject: Favorite Book Of All Time/NP Reply with quote

"The seven habits of highly effective people."
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 4:04 am    Post subject: Favorite Book Of All Time/NP Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Starbreaker:
[b]Cripes, I have HUNDREDS of books, mostly sci-fi and fantasy (yeah, I know geek fare, but I like them)

Hard to pick just one, but one I do like is Heinlein's 'The Number of the Beast' (also the name of one damn great album) The plot of this book is about a man who builds an apparatus that can travel to other universes.

The title refers to the number of the beast interpreted as 6, to the 6th power, to the 6th power (10314424798490535546171949056) which is the theoretical number of universes, according to this book.

Sort of a cool premise.

-Marty[/b]

I was under the impression that this was one of the most universally reviled SF books of all time, the _Re-Load_ of SF, as it were [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] I read it and didn't like it, though to be fair I understand that it's meant to be read following a number of Heinlein's other books.

My own pick: Dan Simmons' _Hyperion Cantos_.
rockin500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 10:16 am    Post subject: Favorite Book Of All Time/NP Reply with quote

Any Robert Jordan book. I'm a huge fantasy/Sci-fi geek and damned proud of it. The Wheel of Time just rules. Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth Series is good too. He writes his battle scenes to the tunes of AC/DC.
Neon Black

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 10:41 am    Post subject: Favorite Book Of All Time/NP Reply with quote

L Ron Hubbard 10 books series

Mission Earth
Red Stripe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 5:36 pm    Post subject: Favorite Book Of All Time/NP Reply with quote

Mordax, I'm currently reading "The Forgotten Soldier", which is the memoirs or a German (actually, he's Alsatian) who served with the Gross Deutschland Division on the East Front. A very powerful book and widely regarded as one of the best war books ever written.

Another great is "With the Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge, who served with the 3/5 Marines in the Peliliu and Okinawa campaigns. Another fantastic book.

Both books are very accurate decsriptions of the struggles faced by infantry soldiers, and neither pull any punches. These two men both experienced the absoloute worst that war has to offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: