HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite
 
    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


"Hair-metal" defined!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tyrannorabbit



Joined: 04 Oct 2000
Posts: 3985
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 1:47 am    Post subject: "Hair-metal" defined! Reply with quote

Any metal band that spends more time on perfecting their hair than on perfecting their music is hair metal.

There ya go. This is why Queensryche circa _Rage For Order_, no matter how big their hair was, doesn't qualify as hair metal. They spent too much time on the music itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
POWERMETAL&AOR



Joined: 27 Sep 2001
Posts: 485
Location: West Coast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 4:09 am    Post subject: "Hair-metal" defined! Reply with quote

Thats really a sucky analysis.

How about - stop using the MTV-pegged trendoid term and call it what it is:

Hard Rock??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lars37



Joined: 05 Sep 2000
Posts: 1222
Location: the bowels of Chicagoland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 6:27 am    Post subject: "Hair-metal" defined! Reply with quote

Hard to listen to, but not rock...

Death to Mall Metal!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Icarus



Joined: 26 Jan 2001
Posts: 1695
Location: where anger and euphoria collide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:56 am    Post subject: "Hair-metal" defined! Reply with quote

I know this was mentioned in the "erasing history" post but I do want to point out this little tidbit. In the mid 80's it was obvious that the trend for metal/ hard rock was catchy hooks, melodies, whatever. Along with this, regardless of whether they were considered "hair bands" or not was the fact that the social image at the time was for bands to have . . . well, big hair. EVERYONE jumped on the bandwagon, not just copy cat bands (I won't mention names as not to get killed here) but existing true staples of metal/ hardrock got in on the action. Examples being: [b]Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne[/b] (c'mon, check out the Ultimate sin & No Rest era), [b]Dio, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Def Leppard[/b] (not real big hair), and others. No these bands while not true 80's "hair bands" got sucked into the whole image thing if only temporary. The sad thing is that even with the bands mentioned, that most(all?) of what caused that temporary image change was the obvious influence of MTV and the competition among recored companies to have their band be among the "in" crowd.

Many bands chose to go the "big hair" route even if they weren't playing the "hair band" style. Look at [b]Savatage[/b] and the Hall of the Mountain King video. That brings back many a laughable memory. They in my mind were not considered a "hair band" Yes, even [b]Megadeth[/b] and [b]Metallica[/b] had the mile high locks at one time. I still wouldn't consider them "hair bands".

It's funny though through all of this I don't think [b]Iron Maiden[/b] succumbed to the hair trend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Desslar



Joined: 11 Jul 2001
Posts: 776
Location: Bloomington, IN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 9:29 am    Post subject: "Hair-metal" defined! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
[b]Any metal band that spends more time on perfecting their hair than on perfecting their music is hair metal.
There ya go. This is why Queensryche circa _Rage For Order_, no matter how big their hair was, doesn't qualify as hair metal. They spent too much time on the music itself.[/b]


I'm surprised even you would get sucked into the MTV propaganda machine. I don't follow your analysis. Queensryche had ridiculous hair and make-up in the mid-80s. How do you know they didn't spend just as much time getting "pretty" as Poison did?

If you're a real metal fan (and I had thought you were), you know it's all about the music. Who cares what bands look like? Part of the fun of the 80s was that bands like Twisted Sister felt free to wear comical outfits and yet bang heads with abandon. No metal band would dare dress in such an obviously silly manner today(except maybe Sugar Ray, but then they're a far cry from metal).

The fact is nearly every metal band had "big" hair in the 80s. It was merely a fashion; it had nothing to do with the music they played. Some MTV exec somewhere just dreamed up "hair band" to ridicule metal (and I'm sure to him there is no musical difference between Poison and Queensryche). Are you going to stand for that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
P-Man



Joined: 16 Oct 2000
Posts: 234
Location: The South. Rednecks rule!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:19 pm    Post subject: "Hair-metal" defined! Reply with quote

I don't use the term hair-metal. It's fairly misleading. I prefer to use a more straight forward term...and that term is p*ssy metal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
robetrt



Joined: 10 Aug 2001
Posts: 52
Location: ALBANY, GA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:37 pm    Post subject: "Hair-metal" defined! Reply with quote

Hair Metal=crap. It was a fad, just like backstreet boys. Big fat cats sitting around telling stupid people "put this on" --"play this" "the kids will love it"
Now dont get me wrong I don not hate glam rock, I just see no difference with glam rock and pop.

Bullet Boys=Backstreet Boys
Faster Pussycat=Nsync
Bon Jovi= Bon jovi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tyrannorabbit



Joined: 04 Oct 2000
Posts: 3985
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:50 pm    Post subject: "Hair-metal" defined! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
[b]I know this was mentioned in the "erasing history" post but I do want to point out this little tidbit. In the mid 80's it was obvious that the trend for metal/ hard rock was catchy hooks, melodies, whatever. Along with this, regardless of whether they were considered "hair bands" or not was the fact that the social image at the time was for bands to have . . . well, big hair. EVERYONE jumped on the bandwagon, not just copy cat bands (I won't mention names as not to get killed here) but existing true staples of metal/ hardrock got in on the action. Examples being: [b]Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne[/b] (c'mon, check out the Ultimate sin & No Rest era), [b]Dio, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Def Leppard[/b] (not real big hair), and others. No these bands while not true 80's "hair bands" got sucked into the whole image thing if only temporary. The sad thing is that even with the bands mentioned, that most(all?) of what caused that temporary image change was the obvious influence of MTV and the competition among recored companies to have their band be among the "in" crowd.

Many bands chose to go the "big hair" route even if they weren't playing the "hair band" style. Look at [b]Savatage[/b] and the Hall of the Mountain King video. That brings back many a laughable memory. They in my mind were not considered a "hair band" Yes, even [b]Megadeth[/b] and [b]Metallica[/b] had the mile high locks at one time. I still wouldn't consider them "hair bands".

It's funny though through all of this I don't think [b]Iron Maiden[/b] succumbed to the hair trend.[/B]


Ah, these bands had big hair, but they worked hard on the music itself. Can the same be said of Firehouse?

Hair metal:
Time spent on hair > time spent on music
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tyrannorabbit



Joined: 04 Oct 2000
Posts: 3985
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:52 pm    Post subject: "Hair-metal" defined! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by POWERMETAL&AOR:
[b]
How about - stop using the MTV-pegged trendoid term and call it what it is:

Hard Rock??[/b]


I don't think so - because most of it doesn't even qualify as HARD rock.

Glam metal then = pop-punk now. Seriously.

(the ironic thing is that the proliferation of so much of the music was an MTV trend in and of itself)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group