HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Its a shame about Def Leppard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyCat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Its a shame about Def Leppard Reply with quote

I had a long ride today from Long Island, NY to my house in New Jersey, so I broke out some old Def Leppard classics while driving in. Pyromania and High and Dry are awesome! Its been at least a year since I had listened to these in full. Anyway, I got to thinking about the new "easy listening" Def Leppard which we all know about with the new album. I know they have been going pop since Hysteria, and I've honestly liked some of the output since, but I was hard pressed to think of another group that has two seriously capable guitarists who are going to waste!! Vivian Campbell and Phil Collen are two amazing players who can shred! Imagine what they could do if Def Leppard voted to go back to the roots and put out a solid rock album. Vivian played on "Holy Diver" "Last in Line" and "Sacred Heart" Dio classics for christ sakes!! Phil stepped in and soloed all over Pyromaina, and he rocks live. I know the glory days are over, but it sucks to see a band who is still really hungry (and still able)to succeed take the easy way out and go soft. I always figured it would be easier to win back old fans, then it would be to win over a new crowd. I guess we'll see.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Its a shame about Def Leppard Reply with quote

Yeah, I know what you mean. Pyromania was one the first albums I ever owned when I was a kid and was largely responsible for me getting into metal. Then I got High and Dry and it was even better. On Through the Night even kicks the crap out of everything they do now. I haven't heard the new album yet, but I remember on their last one there were certain songs that gave hints of the old Leppard, even though the whole product was lacking.

It's got to be hard to make an album like Pyromania when you're 24 years old and then spend the rest of your life trying to live up to it. It's like, what do you do when you go to Las Vegas and win a million dollars on the slot machines? Do you come back and keep spinning the slots, trying to win another million, or do you switch to a different game? They seem to have switched to a different game. Is it because they are taking the easy way out? Or is it because they want to think there are dragons left to slay in the future, rather than resting on past victories? Hard to say, but I only know that for myself I, like you, think their best work was High N Dry and Pyromania.
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Its a shame about Def Leppard Reply with quote

I recently listened to this album.... I didn't care for anything except 2 songs... "Scar" and "Four Letter Word" are not bad at all. Too bad the rest of the album wasn't like these tracks! I agree with both of you... but it seems that a lot of us say the same of other bands as well... we are just stuck in that time LOL Can't blame us, the best music was released in "our time".
SkyCat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Its a shame about Def Leppard Reply with quote

Yes indeed! Our time was a great time! Its tough to beat the old days.

I guess the point I wanted to get across was that Def Leppard has two extremely capable axe slingers that have obviously drifted from previous works. I hear the new Leppard song "Now" and I think, geez Vivian Campbell from Dio is playing on this! Its kinda like having Zakk Wylde turning up in Bon Jovi a few years from now playing "You Give Love a Bad Name" onstage. I will shut up now, cause Def Leppard are still out there after selling gazillions of albums, and here I sit not having sold a damn thing!! Over and out....
Nightofthecrime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Its a shame about Def Leppard Reply with quote

Vivian Campbell.... sure he was in early Dio, but I remember Ronnie James Dio saying at the time that Vivian was into "Thompson Twins and reggae" and that he had to "write all riffs and solos as Vivian didn't write". Plus, he didn't sound too good replicating his own solos with Dio in 84, not to mention the Pete Willis/Steve Clark solos with Leppard on the Adrenalize tour. People think he's a great guitarist... just because he was with early Dio and 1987 era Whitesnake. Truth is he was the weak link in both bands...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: